PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 TV package a "Popcorn Fart"

mueber
03-07-17, 06:45 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2017/03/06/liberty-media-ceo-dismisses-nbc-formula-one-fee-as-a-popcorn-fart/#251626e13b98

SteveH
03-07-17, 06:48 PM
I wonder how much we'll have to pay to watch. :(

Insomniac
03-07-17, 06:55 PM
Wow, $3M for the rights. Never expected it to be that low.

mueber
03-07-17, 07:22 PM
Wow, $3M for the rights. Never expected it to be that low.

That surprised me too. They may as well give it to PBS for free so it is broadcast over the air.

Gnam
03-07-17, 08:12 PM
They need an American driver. :gomer:

Easy
03-07-17, 10:25 PM
Forbes needs to learn how to distinguish between F1 as a whole and Formula One Management.

Insomniac
03-08-17, 05:04 PM
So to broadcast F1 you need:

Capability to receive the FOM originating signal/broadcast
Capability to broadcast

To have a typical broadcast you also need:

Play-by-play
Analyst
At track broadcast capability
Studio
Decent production quality

Seriously, why doesn't YouTube just take over? They can't monetize $10M in ad revenue over a season?

opinionated ow
03-09-17, 09:26 AM
Hopefully the new owners realise that the easier to access their sport is, the more eyes they will get. This current segmentation where sports want you to sign up to their increasingly expensive packages will run out of steam. If I had to pay to watch F1, motogp, athletics, swimming, cycling, triathlon, etc. I would go bloody bankrupt.

Mary
03-12-17, 12:56 PM
When F1 went to SpeedChannel, I couldn't get it that first year because digital cable was not available in my area. About a year later they upgraded the lines and it became available (along with a cable modem). I wanted both and have had both ever since. Not giving up my cable modem and will probably keep the same level of cable TV service, but I can't see increasing it just to watch F1. I loved F1 and it got me through Indycar withdrawal, but can't say I have the same level of interest I did a decade or so ago.

Mary

mueber
03-18-17, 12:05 PM
So to broadcast F1 you need:

Capability to receive the FOM originating signal/broadcast
Capability to broadcast

To have a typical broadcast you also need:

Play-by-play
Analyst
At track broadcast capability
Studio
Decent production quality

Seriously, why doesn't YouTube just take over? They can't monetize $10M in ad revenue over a season?

Bingo!