PDA

View Full Version : Home LED question

WickerBill
02-27-17, 07:48 AM
Situation: eight BR30 can lights in kitchen. I'm out of spares and want to go ahead and "end it" and pick some nice 10 year LED bulbs. Going to cost me $60 to get the brand and specs I want. I'm planning to go from standard 65w to the LED equivalent of 75w for a bit more light overall.

Question: 2700k or 3000k? I'm frozen by this decision.

dando
02-27-17, 08:17 AM
Eight lights? 2.7K, but depending on where they are located.

Elmo T
02-27-17, 09:25 AM
It can never be too bright - consider a dimmable set?

I replaced mine with a retrofit kit instead of the bulbs. I liked the clean look.

nrc
02-27-17, 10:14 AM
Color temperature is pretty subjective. I find most 3k bulbs to be too cool. If you're adding more light and raising the temperature I'd be concerned that it will feel too harsh. I'm convinced that a lot of CFLs didn't really produce their rated light output. The 650 lumen LEDs I've started using are an improvement over the supposedly equivalent CFL.

Insomniac
02-27-17, 10:17 AM
Isn't this one of those get one of each and try them and return the one that you don't like situations?

WickerBill
02-27-17, 11:28 AM
Isn't this one of those get one of each and try them and return the one that you don't like situations?

Well, probably. I'll get one *set* and return all eight bulbs if it's wrong - I don't think I can judge accurately by just replacing one bulb.

G.
02-27-17, 04:06 PM
What temp are the 65W bulbs?

I would go with the 2700k. I find that LED light appears to be a higher temp to me, vs. a similar CFL or incandescent.

Also, LED's are a bit wonky on the color temp. They are hard to accurately classify, apparently. (that info is from ~ 2 years ago, so it might be out-of-date)

I would HIGHLY suggest that you buy spares at the same time, maybe 3. They last an average of 10 years. Some might not get past 2, and you will have a hard time finding a match in 2 years, I would guess.

Also, don't CFLs and LEDs still have trouble with enclosed spaces? I think that includes in cans, even if they are open at the bottom side. They may burn-out faster than you hoped.

Insomniac
02-27-17, 05:29 PM
I don't see why it would be hard to get accurate color temperatures on high quality bulbs. Philips has no problem doing it. Ignoring the warm up period, the CFLs should be pretty accurate.

dando
02-27-17, 07:52 PM
Color temperature is pretty subjective. I find most 3k bulbs to be too cool. If you're adding more light and raising the temperature I'd be concerned that it will feel too harsh. I'm convinced that a lot of CFLs didn't really produce their rated light output. The 650 lumen LEDs I've started using are an improvement over the supposedly equivalent CFL.

Don't get me started on CFLs. They suck. :mad: I switched to them several years under the premiss that they would last ~7 years. Well, I've had numerous fail w/in a year. Unfortunately LEDs weren't an option then, and those that were hitting the market were $$$$. Plus, there's no good recycling option for CFLs, and you shouldn't put them in the trash due to the mercury content. :irked: At least I can recycle my LiOn batteries so they can be re-used for Samsung 'burner' phones. :gomer: ;)

G.
02-27-17, 07:53 PM
I don't see why it would be hard to get accurate color temperatures on high quality bulbs. Philips has no problem doing it. Ignoring the warm up period, the CFLs should be pretty accurate.

LED's can change color slightly as they drift with temp and age. You will get differences from lot-to-lot as well.

CFLs and LEDs are not black-body radiators like incandescent.

They don't have the same CRI as incandescent to begin with, either. (they do not have the same spectrum-filling wavelengths as the sun has)

Color temp is approximated in CFLs and LEDs. I think CFLs hold their ct better, but they put out the narrowest mix of wavelengths (Color Rendering Index).

My guess is that they've gotten good over the years. Also, in a bulb with a bunch of LEDs, if a few of them head off to cooler temps, you won't notice that much, since there's lots of other LEDs to cover for the ones being a jerk.

I may be wrong (about lots of stuff :gomer: ), so feel free to correct me!

dando
02-27-17, 08:08 PM
I may be wrong (about lots of stuff :gomer: ), so feel free to correct me!

No worries...I still hold the Village Idiot title. :gomer:

Insomniac
02-28-17, 11:27 AM
My Dad has some patents on CFLs and has been working in lighting for about 40 years. They are certainly equivalencies when they try to rate the lights vs incandescent ones. We have had so many CFL bulbs over my life. Nearly every single one lasted longer than we stayed in the house (Boston: 10 years, WV: 12 years, KS: 13 years). We've given so many away that people ask for more all the time to replace more. It may be crazy anecdotal/fortunate, but I've never seen a crappy CFL from Philips, including the many samples. He doesn't work on CFLs anymore, but assures me that they use calibrated measuring equipment to hit the specs in manufacturing. Perhaps these new design spiral CFLs are not as good since the glass is all hand made in China for all manufacturers.

dando
02-28-17, 12:31 PM
My Dad has some patents on CFLs and has been working in lighting for about 40 years. They are certainly equivalencies when they try to rate the lights vs incandescent ones. We have had so many CFL bulbs over my life. Nearly every single one lasted longer than we stayed in the house (Boston: 10 years, WV: 12 years, KS: 13 years). We've given so many away that people ask for more all the time to replace more. It may be crazy anecdotal/fortunate, but I've never seen a crappy CFL from Philips, including the many samples. He doesn't work on CFLs anymore, but assures me that they use calibrated measuring equipment to hit the specs in manufacturing. Perhaps these new design spiral CFLs are not as good since the glass is all hand made in China for all manufacturers.

WV == explains a lot. :gomer:

I've bought a batch from Wally Mart and GE/Phillips for ~two dozen and indoor flood lights. The failures have been consistent. Next batch will be LEDs, but I need a warm glow. The first CFLs were a but bright. :\

chop456
03-01-17, 03:55 AM
Well, probably. I'll get one *set* and return all eight bulbs if it's wrong - I don't think I can judge accurately by just replacing one bulb.

Good idea. If you have to change the runner on the table because the oranges are brought out too much, or rearrange the Thomas Kinkades, well, let's just say I wouldn't want to find myself in that position.

dando
03-01-17, 04:22 AM
Good idea. If you have to change the runner on the table because the oranges are brought out too much, or rearrange the Thomas Kinkades, well, let's just say I wouldn't want to find myself in that position.

Dude...Kinkades? He's got Peyton portraits... :gomer: ;)

WickerBill
03-01-17, 08:11 AM

LOL.

And the answer is......... 3000k was too much - not because of the color in the kitchen, not because it's too bright...... but because we have an open concept and the light in the neighboring room is much softer. I underestimated the contrast.

Thank you Amazon for a generous return policy.

nrc
03-01-17, 10:59 AM
I suppose you could get Phillips Hue bulbs and then you can make everything purple when you feel like it.

I kind of don't get that. At least not at the price.

Insomniac
03-01-17, 12:12 PM
I suppose you could get Phillips Hue bulbs and then you can make everything purple when you feel like it.

I kind of don't get that. At least not at the price.

The idea seems cool, but you're right that when you see the price you go :saywhat:.

indyfan31
03-01-17, 04:04 PM
LOL.

And the answer is......... 3000k was too much - not because of the color in the kitchen, not because it's too bright...... but because we have an open concept and the light in the neighboring room is much softer. I underestimated the contrast.

Thank you Amazon for a generous return policy.

Softer or Warmer?

WickerBill
03-01-17, 05:09 PM
Softer or Warmer?

Warmer. Sorry.

indyfan31
03-02-17, 11:10 AM
Warmer. Sorry.

OK. We went with 2700k throughout the house even though I'm a fan of a "whiter" light. They look ok at full tilt, but they seem to get warmer as you dim them.