PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR: Massive format overhaul

rabbit
01-24-17, 11:17 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/24/nascar-overhauls-race-and-playoff-format.html

The overhaul announced Monday assigns three stages to every race. The top 10 drivers at the end of Stage 1 and Stage 2 will be awarded points on a 10-through-1 scale. The third portion of the race will be for the overall victory, and although traditional point scoring will be applied for that stage, the win will be worth 40 points. The rest of the field will be scored on a 35 to 2 scale, and positions 36th to 40 will only receive 1 point.

All bonus points accumulated through the 26-race regular season can be used in the 10-race playoff, which will no longer be called "The Chase."

NASCAR was energized by the changes, particularly the stages that will allow for a commercial break that doesn't occur during green-flag racing. Segment winners will be interviewed during the breaks, and NASCAR likes that it creates a pause that gives fans a chance to reset. It comes as the series is desperately trying to improve both attendance and television ratings, and Fox Sports estimated it will air 20 percent more of actual racing action because of the commercial breaks.

What the actual??

gerhard911
01-24-17, 12:52 PM
What, no social media fan voting bonus points? :shakehead:

Gnam
01-24-17, 12:54 PM
They stop the race twice? That's heat racing.

Will they invert the field after every stage, like they do in British Touring Car?
I laugh in their general direction. :laugh:

TKGAngel
01-24-17, 01:27 PM
You're going to need an abacus and all of your fingers and toes to keep track of things during a race. How is this going to make it more fun to follow? This quote from a NASCAR higher up had me :eek:

"You can get confused if you want to get into the weeds on math,"

In other words, just obey and don't analyze. So it's just another Tuesday in NASCAR land.

Jenna Fryer of the AP is also reporting that NASCAR is considering using a podium in Victory Lane rather than just a winner presence. That's going to go over like a fart in church in certain circles.

Gnam
01-24-17, 01:39 PM
I used to tease NASCAR fans that watching a race was like sitting on a freeway overpass in a lawn chair and randomly declaring a car the "winner".

It was meant to be a joke, not a recommendation. :p

nissan gtp
01-24-17, 02:21 PM
You're going to need an abacus and all of your fingers and toes to keep track of things during a race. How is this going to make it more fun to follow? This quote from a NASCAR higher up had me :eek:

"You can get confused if you want to get into the weeds on math,"

In other words, just obey and don't analyze. So it's just another Tuesday in NASCAR land.

Jenna Fryer of the AP is also reporting that NASCAR is considering using a podium in Victory Lane rather than just a winner presence. That's going to go over like a fart in church in certain circles.

yeah that damn addition, it's so hard :tony:

TKGAngel
01-24-17, 04:22 PM
yeah that damn addition, it's so hard :tony:

If you're enjoying a few Bud/Busch/Miller during the race, it could get hard. Err...that's what she said. :)

Insomniac
01-24-17, 05:26 PM
It's wonky, but it's not going to change the fan experience much. There's still a race winner and now there's just a bunch more bonus points awarded. Their mistake is thinking this tinkering helps the interest. What problem are they trying to address? Is this a case of fixing a problem that doesn't even exist?

opinionated ow
01-24-17, 11:50 PM
I nearly cried with laughter. This will turn their fans off...not bring them back. It's up there with the caution clock in the truck series.

Elmo T
01-25-17, 08:34 AM
Will each stage have the GREEN/WHITE/CHECKERED type finish for each stage?

Will this increase or decrease the crashfest?

Lastly, what were the plans that got turned away?!? :saywhat:

stroker
01-25-17, 08:49 PM
Gawd, what an admission of your product sucking....

dando
01-26-17, 12:43 PM

NASCAB fans gonna need to taker off their shoes...assuming they actually wear shoes. :gomer: No wonder Edwards and Smoke bailed. :\

Brickman
01-26-17, 12:53 PM
Gawd, what an admission of your product sucking....

They lost fans by the droves since 2008.

I have been to these Cup races. Every year I attend the first race of the season and the last, along with our local races, a road course or two...

Atlanta Motor Speedway (Hampton, Georgia)
Auto Club Speedway (Fontana, California)
Bristol Motor Speedway (Bristol, Tennessee)
Charlotte Motor Speedway (Concord, North Carolina)
Chicagoland Speedway (Joliet, Illinois)
Darlington Raceway (Darlington, South Carolina)
Daytona International Speedway (Daytona Beach, Florida)
Dover International Speedway (Dover, Delaware)
Homestead-Miami Speedway (Homestead, Florida)
Indianapolis Motor Speedway (Indianapolis, Indiana)
Kansas Speedway (Kansas City, Kansas)
Kentucky Speedway (Sparta, Kentucky)
Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Las Vegas, Nevada)
Martinsville Speedway (Martinsville, Virginia)
Michigan International Speedway (Brooklyn, Michigan)
New Hampshire Motor Speedway (Loudon, New Hampshire)
Phoenix International Raceway (Avondale, Arizona)
Pocono Raceway (Long Pond, Pennsylvania)
Richmond International Raceway (Richmond, Virginia)
Riverside International Raceway (Riverside, California)
Sonoma Raceway (Sonoma, California)
Talladega Superspeedway (Talladega, Alabama)
Texas Motor Speedway (Fort Worth, Texas)
Watkins Glen International (Watkins Glen, New York)

First they created "The Chase"... which basically meant the first 26 odd races really didn't matter as there was now an elimination, win a race a fan could skip all the others because if his driver was in, making just the 3 races after each elimination round significant along with the final race. They also killed off souvenir trucks, squeezing out trailer concession owners for the "BIG" white tent "Fanatics" gear. Taking money from others and feeding NASCAR more. I suspect the new points is why Carl Edwards left. I can't blame him.

IMHO: They know the series has difficulties, NASCAR hasn't bounced back from the great recession, the stands are empty, not one sellout and they know it's not the economy, it's the same thing that affects all of motorsports, they are on their hands and knees begging Jr. not to retire and take his Jr. nation away.

Instead of making the races shorter, eliminating aero push, going with smaller tires, shaving down their banking, they come up with a ridiculous heat race crap. For races my local races I may watch the start of the race and head to my RV and come back for the ending race. :shakehead:

Time to head to different continents for races.

SteveH
01-26-17, 12:59 PM
Time to head to different continents for races.

You mean like Canada? :gomer:

Seriously, has that been discussed? Obviously very few ovals exist outside of the US. And if TV ratings are an issue now, imagine how low they would be for race on a foreign road course at 6:30 am here in the states (assuming a European race) . Would be kind of cool to see them run Spa, however. :eek:

dando
01-26-17, 01:11 PM

Nah...Mexico 'cept for that wall thingy. :gomer: :D

Napoleon
01-26-17, 02:48 PM
... which basically meant the first 26 odd races really didn't matter as there was now an elimination, win a race a fan could skip all the others because if his driver was in, making just the 3 races after each elimination round significant along with the final race.

The NHL and NBA have long had playoff systems that similarly made the regular season really devalued of meaning, and over the years the NFL and MLB (which retains the regular season with the most meaning) have moved in that direction, and to me it never appeared that it hurt the popularity of those sports (with me is a different story, I all but will not watch a regular season or early playoff NBA game, lost most interest in the NFL as they expanded the playoffs and really like Baseballs regular season because it really does mean something).

Brickman
01-27-17, 10:48 AM

Seriously, has that been discussed? Obviously very few ovals exist outside of the US. And if TV ratings are an issue now, imagine how low they would be for race on a foreign road course at 6:30 am here in the states (assuming a European race) . Would be kind of cool to see them run Spa, however. :eek:

Which would be better than recent NASCAR test on the infield road course at Charlotte.

http://www.motorsport.com/all/photo/main-gallery/charlotte-road-course-layout-11675377/?a=868312

opinionated ow
01-27-17, 09:24 PM

Let me give you something pretty close:
GB-ttCmHyZY