WickerBill
12-27-16, 02:26 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38446753

dando
12-27-16, 02:31 PM
As if 2016 couldn't get any worse. :( RIP

TravelGal
12-27-16, 02:33 PM
:( She fought the good fight all throughout her life. Even so, she represented honesty and purity to generations. Especially my generation. I'm sad that she's gone. There is not much online about the transition from "stable" a day or two ago. May it have been a gentle one. RIP, Princess.

Napoleon
12-27-16, 02:33 PM
:(

Napoleon
12-27-16, 02:56 PM
As if 2016 couldn't get any worse. :( RIP

I just saw someone put it better "2016 will be remembered as the first year of the great baby boomer celebrity death wave"

dando
12-27-16, 03:53 PM
I just saw someone put it better "2016 will be remembered as the first year of the great baby boomer celebrity death wave"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/long-list-famous-people-died-2016-article-1.2923778

pfc_m_drake
12-27-16, 06:22 PM

nrc
12-27-16, 08:11 PM
Very sad. :( Princesses with blasters rule. RIP

Gnam
12-27-16, 08:30 PM
Who needs Rambo?

https://s29.postimg.org/468t5e59z/CDfip_FMUEAEUUz.jpg

When I was younger, I could never figure out why Princess Leia was trying to kill the Blues Brothers. ;)
RIP.

Insomniac
12-28-16, 01:37 PM
:( She fought the good fight all throughout her life. Even so, she represented honesty and purity to generations. Especially my generation. I'm sad that she's gone. There is not much online about the transition from "stable" a day or two ago. May it have been a gentle one. RIP, Princess.

Sad news, but at least for me, I was expecting it. Stable in media terms just isn't what you'd guess it means as a layman. The word is so poorly used now you can be on life support but stable.

dando
12-28-16, 01:56 PM
Sad news, but at least for me, I was expecting it. Stable in media terms just isn't what you'd guess it means as a layman. The word is so poorly used now you can be on life support but stable.

I expected it as well, but the media didn't invent that statement. It came from her mother, Debbie Reynolds.

Debbie Reynolds ‏@DebbieReynolds1 Dec 25
Carrie is in stable condition.If there is a change,we will share it. For all her fans & friends. I thank you for your prayers & good wishes.

Napoleon
12-28-16, 02:50 PM
Sad news, but at least for me, I was expecting it.

She was on a plane when it happened and was non responsive. Who knows how long it was before she even got medical attention.

dando
12-28-16, 03:38 PM
She was on a plane when it happened and was non responsive. Who knows how long it was before she even got medical attention.

There was a doctor and nurses onboard, but obviously they were limited in what they could do without the proper tools, meds, etc.

Insomniac
12-28-16, 04:53 PM
I expected it as well, but the media didn't invent that statement. It came from her mother, Debbie Reynolds.

I meant more non-medical professional status. I don't think a Doctor would use that classification for status. I'm sure they said it in the context of the full picture, but that by itself was inaccurate.

Insomniac
12-28-16, 04:56 PM

I think there is more people thinking about that stuff now, but IIRC most of the major domestic airlines have a fair amount of stuff on board including AEDs. TravelGal may know more. Also probably where Elmo would jump in and remind people to get CPR and AED training.

dando
12-28-16, 06:10 PM
I meant more non-medical professional status. I don't think a Doctor would use that classification for status. I'm sure they said it in the context of the full picture, but that by itself was inaccurate.

Stable condition means the vital signs have stabilized, but by no means does it it mean the underlying cause(s) have been resolved. She never regained consciousness post-event.

The term "vital signs" means indicators such as blood pressure, pulse, temperature, and respiration. The one-word descriptions are not medical terms, and they are more art than science. They're based on a doctor's best judgment of a patient's condition, as relayed to hospital spokespersons.

dando
12-28-16, 06:16 PM
I think there is more people thinking about that stuff now, but IIRC most of the major domestic airlines have a fair amount of stuff on board including AEDs. TravelGal may know more. Also probably where Elmo would jump in and remind people to get CPR and AED training.

Any schmo can perform CPR (hopefully not breaking the breastbone). AEDs are another issue due to how sparsely they are available.

TKGAngel
12-28-16, 08:10 PM
Not to bring anymore bad news to the party, but Debbie Reynolds was taken to the hospital this afternoon, with possible signs of a stroke.

AEDs are another issue due to how sparsely they are available.

Depending on your state, AEDs may be required at schools and other large gathering places. They are definitely becoming more prevalent. Heck, even my under 110 person office has one.

dando
12-28-16, 08:59 PM
Depending on your state, AEDs may be required at schools and other large gathering places. They are definitely becoming more prevalent. Heck, even my under 110 person office has one.

Yup, but that doesn't help at a local gas station, grocery store, bodega, etc.

Sad about Debbie...I caught that just ahead of the national news. :(

SteveH
12-28-16, 09:47 PM
Good bye, Debbie
http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/28/debbie-reynolds-dead/

dando
12-28-16, 11:47 PM

TravelGal
12-29-16, 02:11 AM
Terribly sad. I know we're supposed to say it's easier for her but it's still terribly sad. Debbie also had a hard life. Like many female entertainers of her generation, she was left nearly penniless by a profligate husband and endured the estrangement from Carrie. I saw her only once in person about 3 years ago. Charming and beautiful, still. I'll always remember that moment. :(

TravelGal
12-29-16, 02:12 AM

American Airlines (on which she was flying) was the first airline to require AED's on all its aircraft. Some others have followed. Since then I've noticed them in airports. That's about all I can add from memory.

Napoleon
12-29-16, 08:33 AM
RIP Debbie

Elmo T
12-29-16, 08:46 AM
Such sad news all around. :(

As for CPR and AED's - Your best chance for survival is a witnessed arrest with the use of an AED very quickly. IMHO, CPR just gives bystanders something to do in the interim. AED's are simple - slap on the pads and follow the instructions - the things actually talk to you. You can't zap someone who doesn't need it - be it someone awake and talking OR someone long dead.

Time is already here where folks are putting AED's in the home. The AED will truly save a life.

If the AED and CPR do not bring you back quickly - not much will.

One of our FF was saved just before Christmas with an AED. He went from witnessed arrest to joking with responders in less than 4 minutes. This was the best case scenario - witnessed arrest with paramedics at scene. Had he been home... :shakehead:

Firefighter saved by fellow rescuers (http://www.fox29.com/news/222295093-story)

SteveH
12-29-16, 10:11 AM
My oldest son is a pilot at United. Over Christmas I asked him if he ever had a similar situation to Carrie's heart attack. He said he's had three potential medical emergencies. United has contracted with a firm that provides medical resources available when something like that occurs. The flight attendants fill out a questionnaire, the pilots relay the information to the medical staff provided by the firm who makes a determination whether to declare an emergency landing or continue on to their original destination. None of the three were considered to be life threatening enough to immediately land. Of course, in the case of a heart attack, the plane probably can't land soon enough. For Carrie, the plan was on approach to LAX. It couldn't have landed any sooner.

Napoleon
12-29-16, 11:29 AM
^^^

Is he with United United or United one of their feeders?

SteveH
12-29-16, 12:27 PM
^^^

Is he with United United or United one of their feeders?

United, flies a 737

Spent years flying commuter including United Express

Napoleon
12-29-16, 12:33 PM
A cousin of mine's son (same last name as me) is a pilot with Republic right now.

gjc2
12-29-16, 03:52 PM
A cousin of mine's son (same last name as me) is a pilot with Republic right now.

Bonaparte?

SteveH
12-29-16, 04:15 PM
:laugh:

Napoleon
12-29-16, 04:36 PM
No Dynamite.

TravelGal
12-29-16, 08:15 PM
No Dynamite.

And here I thought it was Solo. :thumbup:

WickerBill
12-29-16, 09:33 PM
American Airlines (on which she was flying)

Everything I've read said she was on United, fwiw.

TravelGal
12-30-16, 03:52 PM
Everything I've read said she was on United, fwiw.

OH! First one I read said AA and it imprinted like a newborn chick. Thanks for the correction.