PDA

View Full Version : TSA observation

datachicane
11-28-16, 07:55 PM
Years ago I traveled pretty extensively, but for the last 15-20 years or so it's been almost exclusively the Western U.S.- Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, Juneau, San Diego, Anaheim, San Francisco, Phoenix, Tucson, Denver, Albuquerque, Boise, etc., etc. In all of these airports, the TSA folks I've encountered have been uniformly professional and pretty much attitude-free, and aside from the loss of more Leatherman than I'd care to admit I don't really have any complaints. Heck, last night in Phoenix my chemistry-geek teenage daughter's giant backpack triggered for explosive traces, leading to the full body treatment and swabbing of everything in her pack, and the two female agents couldn't possibly have been more pleasant and professional. My daughter was more excited about the prospect of the great story she got out of the deal than anything. The rules may suck, but that's not the staff's fault.

OTOH, the 3-4 times I've been through O'Hare in the last five years, it's almost like they're daring me to punch their lights out- completely unprofessional and condescending, insulting passengers, etc. Is it just me? Have I just been unlucky at O'Hare and extraordinarily lucky elsewhere? WTH is going on?

dando
11-28-16, 08:16 PM
Years ago I traveled pretty extensively, but for the last 15-20 years or so it's been almost exclusively the Western U.S.- Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, Juneau, San Diego, Anaheim, San Francisco, Phoenix, Tucson, Denver, Albuquerque, Boise, etc., etc. In all of these airports, the TSA folks I've encountered have been uniformly professional and pretty much attitude-free, and aside from the loss of more Leatherman than I'd care to admit I don't really have any complaints. Heck, last night in Phoenix my chemistry-geek teenage daughter's giant backpack triggered for explosive traces, leading to the full body treatment and swabbing of everything in her pack, and the two female agents couldn't possibly have been more pleasant and professional. My daughter was more excited about the prospect of the great story she got out of the deal than anything. The rules may suck, but that's not the staff's fault.

OTOH, the 3-4 times I've been through O'Hare in the last five years, it's almost like they're daring me to punch their lights out- completely unprofessional and condescending, insulting passengers, etc. Is it just me? Have I just been unlucky at O'Hare and extraordinarily lucky elsewhere? WTH is going on?

Uh, back 2004, traveling with our 1 y-o we got the full pat down and screening in Savannah. :\

SteveH
11-28-16, 09:02 PM
I fly 3-6 times/year through O'Hare. While not what I would classify as a pleasurable experience I've never wanted to punch someone's lights out. TSA at O'Hare doesn't seem any better or worse than other employees there. None of them great