PDA

View Full Version : Robby's hood fly's into stands at Daytona

cart7
07-06-03, 11:20 AM
After getting tangled up in the Kurt Busch wreck, Nascar allows Childress to roll Gordons hulk back onto the track. His hood flew off into the stands late in the race!!

See it here. (http://www.nascar.com/2003/news/headlines/wc/07/05/hood_pepsi400/index.html)

pchall
07-06-03, 11:57 AM
I won't watch the link.

But this has happened several times before in NASCAR and it is inexcuseable that it happens again.

If the sanctioning body really wants wrecks on the track circulating for 'valuable points' it is their responsibility to make sure parts are not likely to fly off from damage and more aerodynamic strain when the wreck returns to the track.

FRANKY
07-06-03, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by pchall
I won't watch the link.

But this has happened several times before in NASCAR and it is inexcuseable that it happens again.

If the sanctioning body really wants wrecks on the track circulating for 'valuable points' it is their responsibility to make sure parts are not likely to fly off from damage and more aerodynamic strain when the wreck returns to the track.

The last time I recall it happened was at Daytona when Irvan's hood went flying. That was a good number of years ago, they took steps since then to tether the hoods, this is the first one to take flight since then.

Hink
07-06-03, 07:44 PM
IIRC NASCAR started with hood tethers after Bobby Allison's accident at Talledega.

FRANKY
07-06-03, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Hink
IIRC NASCAR started with hood tethers after Bobby Allison's accident at Talledega.

I believe it was after the Charlotte IRL deaths.

FRANKY
07-06-03, 08:20 PM
Yep 1999. I recall it was strange that NASCAR responded because they usually only respond, IF they respond, AFTER the fact.

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/1575/

http://www.tonyroper.com/images/1999/tether2.jpg

pchall
07-06-03, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Hink

Then today NASCAR let a wreck back on track with enough damage to defeat the tethers or damage to the tethering system.

Either way, it is still reprehensible of them as a sanctioning body to let severely damaged cars back onto the track.

Ziggy
07-06-03, 08:40 PM
How are they supposed to get valuable Winston Cup Points? You have to go out and run around with the car damage, the point system sucks

Ziggy

FRANKY
07-06-03, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
How are they supposed to get valuable Winston Cup Points? You have to go out and run around with the car damage, the point system sucks

Ziggy

Yes. Worst point system in any racing series I know of. Fix their points and dedicate a team for safety and they would rise 50% in my eyes.

Racewriter
07-06-03, 08:47 PM
Good thing openwheel doesn't have a problem with parts flying into the stands...

Oh wait, they do, it's just that usually, no one's sitting in them to get hurt...

Sean O'Gorman
07-06-03, 08:56 PM
Stupid point system, perhaps, but you can't blame a team for taking advantage of it (or more accurately, making the best of a bad situation).

RaceGrrl
07-06-03, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by SOG35
Stupid point system, perhaps, but you can't blame a team for taking advantage of it (or more accurately, making the best of a bad situation).

Nope. Can't blame them. But you surely can sue them. Since they don't care enough about safety for safety's sake, hit them where it really hurts, the bank account. Maybe then they'll care more about fixing the problems.

Railbird
07-06-03, 09:20 PM
Hey!

the gal they hauled out on a strecher seemed like a good sport.

Hell she was waving to the folks back home.

Now quit bitchin' you bunch of sissies and listen to RW.

RaceGrrl
07-06-03, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
the gal they hauled out on a strecher seemed like a good sport.

Hell she was waving to the folks back home.

Yeah, and even by the IRL's standards, that means that she can't possibly be hurt. :p

pchall
07-07-03, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
Now quit bitchin' you bunch of sissies and listen to RW.

Why listen to RW when all he can do is bring up a disingenuous point in a meager effort to exculpate NASCAR on its lingering safety issues?

I, for one, will not become a callous old fart accepting needless injuries among drivers and fans in a sport I love. It's 2003 and not 1896.

RaceGrrl
07-07-03, 02:27 PM
There's no need for that kind of thing these days... maybe in the olden days. ;)

I don't buy that this kind of risk is acceptable. As a fan, I don't expect to get hit by huge hunks of flying car, because I expect the series I watch to do everything possible to protect me. The cars should not be allowed to run with unsecured bodywork.

Railbird
07-07-03, 03:10 PM
I think we're looking well past the big question here.

Will the hood be considered a "Nascar collectable"?

Cash settlement?, nah darlin' but we got Robby to autograph the hood just for you.

pchall
07-07-03, 03:31 PM
Nice dodge.

I find your attitude on safety appalling.

Ziggy
07-07-03, 04:36 PM
Its not like Railbird is responsible for NASCAR's rules. If you dont want to be hit with a NASCAR hood, the best way to avoid that is not go to their races. At any race, you buy a ticket and take your chances. The chances are slim, but I think all of us remember what a terrible sequence of events at a few tracks within the past 5 years.

Ziggy

Railbird
07-07-03, 05:36 PM
Nice dodge.

I believe it was a chevy pchall.

and I find your attitude on most anything rather gaseous.

but only in a fun and lovable way of course

Ankf00
07-07-03, 06:13 PM
Nascar bashing aside, it's pretty ridiculous that a machine whose safety features could easily have been compromised be allowed to compete, potentially endangering spectators. But hey "that's racing."
There's a certain minimal level of protection afforded to those spectating which should not be disregarded no matter what the case may be. Nets in NHL arenas, backstop netting at ballparks, it's an issue other professional sports are addressing properly. Approved spectator areas at WRC rounds...

Ziggy
07-07-03, 07:03 PM
Hey, that is racing. Lucky for us something ugly did not happen during a CART event. I bet this thread would not even exist... That being said, I agree that a beat and banged up racecar has no place on a racing track where others are still competing is silly. Racing organizations sanction rules. The participants abide by these rules (their supposed to anyway). I dont know how the hood teather came lose, but I have a good idea. Compromised during the initial incicent. Dont have to be a rocket scientist (or a very good speller, thank God). The thought that racing should ever be so safe anyone can do it, or for that matter that a car whizzing by you at 200 mph with no thoughts of "something might happen" is a myth.

Hate to bust your bubble, and it aint just a NASCAR problem

Ziggy

RaceGrrl
07-07-03, 07:15 PM
... I agree that a beat and banged up racecar has no place on a racing track where others are still competing is silly. Racing organizations sanction rules. The participants abide by these rules (their supposed to anyway). I dont know how the hood teather came lose, but I have a good idea. Compromised during the initial incicent. Dont have to be a rocket scientist (or a very good speller, thank God). The thought that racing should ever be so safe anyone can do it, or for that matter that a car whizzing by you at 200 mph with no thoughts of "something might happen" is a myth.

I guess my point was that some series seem to take pre-emptive safety precautions, and some do not. I realize when I buy a ticket that I am accepting some risk. I'm also fairly confident that CART has tried to anticipate problems and taken action to prevent them. The main problem is, and we both agree on this, that NASCAR allows the cars to run at speed with loose bodywork. They're not thinking ahead, and that's my beef.

Ankf00
07-07-03, 07:28 PM
Hey, that is racing. Lucky for us something ugly did not happen during a CART event. I bet this thread would not even exist... That being said, I agree that a beat and banged up racecar has no place on a racing track where others are still competing is silly. Racing organizations sanction rules. The participants abide by these rules (their supposed to anyway). I dont know how the hood teather came lose, but I have a good idea. Compromised during the initial incicent. Dont have to be a rocket scientist (or a very good speller, thank God). The thought that racing should ever be so safe anyone can do it, or for that matter that a car whizzing by you at 200 mph with no thoughts of "something might happen" is a myth.

Ziggy

When I was sitting at Senna Curve at montreal the thought of a collision resulting in flying debris resulting in my death had occured to me, but that's the price of being there. However, I would not want voluntarily take my place in the seats if a compromised vehicle was allowed to run with the potential of flying debris. An example I think of is Bourdais being told to bench it with the partially failed rear wing in portland.

PT translator: "that's whack, yo."

On the otherside I see the point where the severity of the incident has to be considered when going on or not, but in formula car racing I see teams parking it when wishbones are thought to be bent or weakness in the rear wing structure (Kimi, Monaco '02, courtesy rubens)...

pchall
07-07-03, 08:01 PM
Hey, that is racing. Lucky for us something ugly did not happen during a CART event. I bet this thread would not even exist...

Ziggy

It is precisely because a wheel in the stands killed fans at a CART race at MIS in 19998 that I post about these miserable events. That sort of thing put me off my feed for a CART race I really enjoyed attending off and on for years. But then, being peppered with bits and pieces of a flipping midget put me off for Winchester as well.

Sorry, I just can't accept stoicism or callousness in these matters.

racer2c
07-07-03, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by pchall
It is precisely because a wheel in the stands killed fans at a CART race at MIS in 19998 that I post about these miserable events. That sort of thing put me off my feed for a CART race I really enjoyed attending of and on for years. But then, being peppered with bits and pieces of a flipping midget put me off for Winchester as well.

Sorry, I just can't accept stoicism or callousness in these matters.

I concur. :thumbup: