PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on doping in sport

opinionated ow
10-11-16, 09:38 AM
The Road Cycling World Championships are under way in Qatar as we speak. The American rider Amber Neben just won the Women's Individual Time Trial. Neben served a doping ban early in her career. I'm really not comfortable with such a person being declared world champion. I think there should be a process by which athletes are given a second chance but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with them being eligible compete in World Championships, Olympics, Paralympics and Commonwealth Games.

What do you think?

Insomniac
10-11-16, 10:04 AM
The Road Cycling World Championships are under way in Qatar as we speak. The American rider Amber Neben just won the Women's Individual Time Trial. Neben served a doping ban early in her career. I'm really not comfortable with such a person being declared world champion. I think there should be a process by which athletes are given a second chance but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with them being eligible compete in World Championships, Olympics, Paralympics and Commonwealth Games.

What do you think?

I think it's a pretty harsh punishment. If they're clean and served their punishment, they're clean. In my opinion, if they want to go down that path, they have to spell it out beforehand so every athlete knows the consequences. A lifetime ban would send a very strong message that doping is not in any way acceptable. They should be competing against the best. If she was banned, the winner would not really be the best in the world.

Personally, I'd be in favor of a lifetime ban at the highest levels of sport with rigorous testing and clear policy. However, there would have to be a fair review process in those situations.