PDA

View Full Version : Vettel on making changes in F1

EDwardo
09-16-16, 02:37 AM
""If you ask me what I would like to drive, I would like double the amount of cylinders in the car and take off a lot of the complicated electric equipment," Vettel told the AFP.
But V12s aren't the only changes Vettel wants to see. He'd also like the cars to be faster..."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/news/a30813/sebastian-vettel-f1-v12/

Sounds like Sebastien wants to bring back the V-12. And I agree with him. I miss the roar of the V12. And I would love faster. That would be really insane in a good way.
F1 needs to make changes and I hope the new management lets the drivers have input for changes.

SteveH
09-16-16, 04:16 AM
I think in order for VET to get his wish it will take a massive change at the FIA, not just an ownership change.

opinionated ow
09-16-16, 05:00 AM
Let me at it:

3L naturally aspirated pistion engines. No rules on configuration (I4, V8, V12, H16 whatever)
No spec tyres.
Low, wide rear wings
Simpler front wings limited to two flaps on each side of the nose
Manual (or maybe sequential) gearbox to bring back gear change errors
No maximum fuel flows/fuel allowance. Use what you need. Refuel if you want to
No halo, canopy, roll cage

Plus I'd schedule races at good tracks where people care:
Monza, Imola, Hockenheim, Nurburgring, Zandvoort, Red Bull Ring, Spa-Francorchamps, either Pau/Paul Ricard/Dijon-Prenois, Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Gilles Villeneuve, Mosport, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Road America, Monaco, Phillip Island, Kyalami, the old Mexico City (destroy the bloody tilke ruination), Suzuka, Taupo or Hampton Downs, Interlagos and Buenos Aires.

Some of them might be non championship races.

Insomniac
09-16-16, 10:31 AM
The cars are pretty fast now, aren't they?

cameraman
09-16-16, 06:06 PM
The cars are pretty fast now, aren't they?

Yeah they are very close to track records right now and next year's car is predicted to lap even faster. What I think Vettel is looking for is a car that can run at close to full power for the entire race. Of course he never drove in the V12 fuel economy run era so I think there are some rose colored glasses involved.

gjc2
09-17-16, 08:04 AM
Let me at it:

3L naturally aspirated pistion engines. No rules on configuration (I4, V8, V12, H16 whatever)
No spec tyres.
Low, wide rear wings
Simpler front wings limited to two flaps on each side of the nose
Manual (or maybe sequential) gearbox to bring back gear change errors
No maximum fuel flows/fuel allowance. Use what you need. Refuel if you want to
No halo, canopy, roll cage

I agree with all your ideas expect the no spec tire part. What if your favorite team chooses the wrong tire company? They’d be at disadvantage all season. I like the tire rules as they are now.

I would get rid of the engine and transmission change limitations. Everyone should race the engine and transmission they qualified with but other than that should be able to change engines as needed during the season. While I’m at it, get rid of the hybrid system, call them engines not power units.

I’d like to see “H” pattern shifters.

opinionated ow
09-18-16, 12:39 AM
I agree with all your ideas expect the no spec tire part. What if your favorite team chooses the wrong tire company? They’d be at disadvantage all season. I like the tire rules as they are now.
Allow testing. Like it used to be.

Insomniac
09-19-16, 09:55 AM
Yeah they are very close to track records right now and next year's car is predicted to lap even faster. What I think Vettel is looking for is a car that can run at close to full power for the entire race. Of course he never drove in the V12 fuel economy run era so I think there are some rose colored glasses involved.

He might not want to see the Mercedes unleashed. :)