PDA

View Full Version : The return of Jenson Button

Gopeddle
09-15-16, 09:02 AM
Does anyone really believe Jenson will return to the F1 grid unless one of the others gets injured? It just doesn't seem realistic to me even though I'd love to see him back.

nissan gtp
09-15-16, 09:34 AM
he's done. way too many fast new kids out there for him to get a seat again

WickerBill
09-15-16, 11:49 AM
I think it's a very, very real possibility that next year is Fernando's last. Additionally, there are rumors that if, in pre-season testing, the 2017 McLaren isn't fast, Alonso walks away. McLaren has hedged their bets by making sure Jenson is standing by.

And I think the idea that there are tons of "fast kids" waiting in the wings is proven slightly false by the fact that Red Bull hasn't jettisoned Kvyat. Even their young driver program is running on fumes.

cameraman
09-15-16, 01:19 PM
It is clear that Jenson didn't talk with Mika Häkkinen before he signed on to this.

cameraman
09-15-16, 01:29 PM
I think it's a very, very real possibility that next year is Fernando's last. Additionally, there are rumors that if, in pre-season testing, the 2017 McLaren isn't fast, Alonso walks away. McLaren has hedged their bets by making sure Jenson is standing by.

And I think the idea that there are tons of "fast kids" waiting in the wings is proven slightly false by the fact that Red Bull hasn't jettisoned Kvyat. Even their young driver program is running on fumes.

No there is just an age gap in Red Bull's program, they don't have anyone ready to replace him. In a couple years they will have people ready to go.

As for McLaren Stoffel Vandoorne is a better driver than Verstappen, Magnussen, Wehrlein or Ocon. Putting him in the car is a smart move.

WickerBill
09-15-16, 02:42 PM
He's not exactly setting Super Formula alight (although he did finally win one)

Insomniac
09-16-16, 10:30 AM
I think he could find a ride, but his decision to stay at McLaren indicates to me he can't find a ride he wants. Top teams with $$$ and performance don't want him. Teams that are at the back of the field don't offer him as much $$$ or performance. It seems like his career will end as a McLaren whatever he is now unless he is willing to driver for a team toward the back (besides McLaren, who are a team towards the back who acts like they aren't).