PDA

View Full Version : College Football 2016

Pages : [1] 2

nrc
09-11-16, 01:44 AM
So I assume that this Bristol game is a one-off? It looks pretty impressive from the field but based on the overhead it looks like a crummy place to watch a game.

dando
09-11-16, 05:12 AM
So I assume that this Bristol game is a one-off? It looks pretty impressive from the field but based on the overhead it looks like a crummy place to watch a game.

I think so, but $$$ and eyeballs will drive that decision, IMHO. Looked OK on TeeVee, but in person it must have looked like ants on a postage stamp. :\

TravelGal
09-11-16, 09:41 PM
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Aztecs! :thumbup:

dando
09-17-16, 03:58 PM
Louville (sic) rolled the Noles. :eek: :thumbup:

dando
09-17-16, 05:03 PM
Hoping for the Perfecto....Free Shoes, Bammy, _ichigan, ND and Mobilehoma to lose. :gomer: :D

dando
09-17-16, 10:55 PM
Hmmm...not sayin', just sayin'. :D :gomer:

dando
09-18-16, 01:01 AM
:)

dando
09-24-16, 06:21 PM
Congrats to the Utes > U$C. :thumbup:

Wisky beat down on Sparty?!? :D

dando
09-25-16, 07:30 PM
Less Miles....

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17636531/lsu-tigers-fire-les-miles-12-seasons-name-ed-orgeron-interim-coach

dando
09-30-16, 11:03 PM
Ouch, Stanford. Woodshed time. :eek:

Gnam
09-30-16, 11:27 PM
Good times. :D

https://s10.postimg.org/g0w9c6jeh/kill_the_tree_men_s_design.png

dando
09-30-16, 11:55 PM
Good times. :D

https://s10.postimg.org/g0w9c6jeh/kill_the_tree_men_s_design.png

Eh, wood chipper #Fargo? :eek:

dando
10-01-16, 11:12 PM
Scratches head....my projections are Bammy, winner of The Game (which will be the B1G Championship Game, IMO), UW, Clemson. I'd like to add Houston, but I just don't see the committee love/respect for them. :(

dando
10-02-16, 06:36 AM
The committee peeps gonna have 'fun' on their hands. My take is Bammy, tOSU/TTUN, Clemson, and UW. What to do with Louisville, Houston, UNC? Wowza.

dando
10-02-16, 04:15 PM
As I expected...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings

The Game looms LARGE.

dando
10-09-16, 11:49 AM
Houston done...as a side car, Louisville done.

UNC done.

Stanford done.

Bammy, tOSU/TTUN winner, Clemson...#4???

nrc
10-09-16, 07:36 PM
tOSU is going to have to play better if they expect to be in the hunt. Not sure if they can get past Wisky with that kind of play.

dando
10-16-16, 12:58 PM
Slightly interesting game last night. :saywhat: :eek:

dando
10-17-16, 01:51 PM
Should have added that Clemson has 9 lives. :saywhat: Which one are they on now? NC State at home...NC had them dead to rights. Cost them #3 in the AP, as I expected.

dando
10-18-16, 01:16 PM
Big 12 expansion no go.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/17818146/big-12-agree-new-members-stand-pat-10-schools

If they want to stay/be relevant they need to expand to keep up with the Joneses. Lots of fallout today with a number of chatterheads saying they are down and out w/o expanding.

WickerBill
10-18-16, 02:26 PM
It's because of the quality of the schools they were looking to gain. They need to poach from other big conferences, not pick up the Houstons of the world. And nobody is leaving the SEC or PAC-12 to go to the Big12 these days.

Texas and OK will be in the Pac 14 before long.

Gnam
10-18-16, 02:43 PM
Pac 16 - two divisions

West: UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State

East: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado

Works for me. :thumbup:

Insomniac
10-18-16, 02:59 PM
Texas could be tough with their own network. They probably just have to accept being the clear #5 conference and schedule tougher games late out of conference to show that the best is up to the task. As it is right now, they're a combined 0-12 vs top 25 teams and the 2 undefeated teams haven't played a ranked opponent yet. The first game between two ranked teams in the Big 12 is 11/12 (Baylor @ OU).

dando
10-18-16, 03:30 PM
It's because of the quality of the schools they were looking to gain. They need to poach from other big conferences, not pick up the Houstons of the world. And nobody is leaving the SEC or PAC-12 to go to the Big12 these days.

Texas and OK will be in the Pac 14 before long.

Apparently the rights contract for those two expires in 2025. Lots will change between now and then. Big 12 was just late to the punch bowl when all of the shuffling occurred. Plus, as much as I hated BTN when it was created, it's been a cash cow for the B1G, and has improved over time. Texas has their own network, but the Big 12??? They should have gone to the mat to keep A&M and add another solid school like BYU, but that may not have gone over well with the Baptist faithful in Texas.

Insomniac
10-18-16, 04:32 PM
Apparently the rights contract for those two expires in 2025. Lots will change between now and then. Big 12 was just late to the punch bowl when all of the shuffling occurred. Plus, as much as I hated BTN when it was created, it's been a cash cow for the B1G, and has improved over time. Texas has their own network, but the Big 12??? They should have gone to the mat to keep A&M and add another solid school like BYU, but that may not have gone over well with the Baptist faithful in Texas.

They better hope a la carte doesn't happen. Most of that money is because of bundling.

dando
10-18-16, 05:20 PM
They better hope a la carte doesn't happen. Most of that money is because of bundling.

IMO, I doubt that will happen unless cord cutting becomes more pervasive, which is iffy. Cord cutting sounds great in theory, but in reality, not so much due to the subscription fees for streaming services and provider login required for 'free' services like Watch E$PN, TBS, TNT, etc. U-Verse originally invaded Cbus touting a la carte, but it never happened (and it took them years to fully roll out service).

nrc
10-18-16, 05:21 PM
Thread needs more Ank.

dando
10-18-16, 05:58 PM
Thread needs more Ank.

He's in hiding with Texas sucking. ;)

dando
10-18-16, 06:07 PM
Likely the only time I'll agree with Howard and/or Finebum (sic).

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17827297/big-12-reaches-united-decision-decline-expansion-earlier-divide

Insomniac
10-19-16, 10:50 AM
IMO, I doubt that will happen unless cord cutting becomes more pervasive, which is iffy. Cord cutting sounds great in theory, but in reality, not so much due to the subscription fees for streaming services and provider login required for 'free' services like Watch E$PN, TBS, TNT, etc. U-Verse originally invaded Cbus touting a la carte, but it never happened (and it took them years to fully roll out service).

It is happening. Beyond the numbers, just look at the industry. HBO went from saying they were not going to offer over the top to offering it in 2 years. You look at what Sling has evolved into now (every channel you mentioned for $20/mo). Look at the cost of cable Internet rising significantly. Cable/Satellite prices are going up in a similar manner as the "death spiral" begins. They increase rates to keep revenues level/growing as subscribers drop and the rate increases make more people drop the services. I think in the next 5-7 years they will have found the new normal of having to offer near a la carte via services while continuing the traditional bundling at cable/sat at a more reasonable rate.

dando
10-19-16, 12:00 PM
It is happening. Beyond the numbers, just look at the industry. HBO went from saying they were not going to offer over the top to offering it in 2 years. You look at what Sling has evolved into now (every channel you mentioned for $20/mo). Look at the cost of cable Internet rising significantly. Cable/Satellite prices are going up in a similar manner as the "death spiral" begins. They increase rates to keep revenues level/growing as subscribers drop and the rate increases make more people drop the services. I think in the next 5-7 years they will have found the new normal of having to offer near a la carte via services while continuing the traditional bundling at cable/sat at a more reasonable rate.

It is happening to a certain extent, but once you start adding up the various services like Sling, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., you're back in the same boat. Content providers and sports leagues are going to go after every $.05 they can. IMO, there will be some leveling of the fees providers pay (it's already hit E$PN, resulting in staff reductions and the loss of on air talent to Fox and NBC). Not quite sure I call it a death spiral, but consolidation is and will continue to occur (see Spectrum, DTV/AT&T).

Insomniac
10-19-16, 01:57 PM
It is happening to a certain extent, but once you start adding up the various services like Sling, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc., you're back in the same boat. Content providers and sports leagues are going to go after every $.05 they can. IMO, there will be some leveling of the fees providers pay (it's already hit E$PN, resulting in staff reductions and the loss of on air talent to Fox and NBC). Not quite sure I call it a death spiral, but consolidation is and will continue to occur (see Spectrum, DTV/AT&T).

Netflix and Amazon are only available via streaming, so you don't really want to add that to the cost to cut the cord. It may not end up being a death spiral, but that's what they are in right now. Cost is a clear factor in the cord cutting decision, so raising them isn't going to stop/reverse it.

Just the last year:

in 2014, 8.2 percent of former pay TV subscribers surveyed by TiVo subsidiary Digitalsmiths said they ditched their service – an increase of 1.3 percent over the prior year.
https://techcrunch.com/2015/06/23/new-study-shows-a-rise-in-cord-cutting-8-2-percent-ditched-pay-tv-in-2014-up-1-3-yoy/

Pew Research Center survey of broadband adoption rates has sobering statistics for Hollywood. Some 19% of adults in the 18 to 29 age range have become cord cutters, dropping cable or satellite TV service, while another 16% have never had a traditional subscription TV package.
http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/cord-cutting-19-young-adults-24-pew-research-center-1201666723/

More than 1.1 million households cut the cord last year, with about the same number expected to get off the cable bandwagon this year, according to market research firm Convergence Consulting in its annual “Coach Potato” report.
http://fortune.com/2016/04/05/household-cable-cord-cutters/

Not to mention how much TV ratings have dropped in the last 10 years.

cameraman
10-19-16, 04:21 PM
I went from a $140/mo DishNetwork bill to a $25/mo Sling bill and I did not lose a single show that I watch. I have a good old fashioned antenna on the roof that gets a perfect signal for all the classic OTA stations. There's a lot I can do with $1380/year...

SteveH
10-19-16, 05:53 PM
I went from a $140/mo DishNetwork bill to a $25/mo Sling bill and I did not lose a single show that I watch. I have a good old fashioned antenna on the roof that gets a perfect signal for all the classic OTA stations. There's a lot I can do with $1380/year...

Quite interesting. How many TVs can it support? Can you view F1?

dando
10-19-16, 06:07 PM
Quite interesting. How many TVs can it support? Can you view F1?

NBCSN is not in the sports programming lineup.

https://www.sling.com/programming

EDIT: Wait it is, but on a different tier (blue). But if you want all channels, you need the orange + blue package ($40/mo.). Blue does not include E$PN channels...orange does. As I stated previously, it all comes out in the wash. I pay TWC/Spectrum $100 for cable, broadband, and phone. :shrug:

cameraman
10-19-16, 10:34 PM
NBCSN is not in the sports programming lineup.

https://www.sling.com/programming

EDIT: Wait it is, but on a different tier (blue). But if you want all channels, you need the orange + blue package ($40/mo.). Blue does not include E$PN channels...orange does. As I stated previously, it all comes out in the wash. I pay TWC/Spectrum $100 for cable, broadband, and phone. :shrug:

I don't watch football, I watch British Premier League, Bundesliga and F1.
$25 Sling Blue has NBCSN, FS1, FS2, FX BBC, Hist, SyFy, UniMas (commercial free F1 coverage if you don't mind Spanish commentary) NFL Network, Comedy Central, TNT, A&E, Nat Geo Wild, etc
If you need ESPN, EPN2, ESPN3 it is $40 a month.

They're rolling out Google Fiber in town, $50/mo for 100 Mbps or $70 for 1000 Mbps, no data limits. $10 land line. No equipment rental.

Now for $150/mo you get 1000Mbps, landline, 220 channel HD TV, recording 8 up to shows at once, no rental fee for router or first TV/whole home DVR
No install fee with 1 yr contract
1 terabyte cloud storage
Keep your existing phone number or pick a new one
Unlimited local and nationwide calling, affordable international rates
Privacy controls including call screening and do-not-disturb
Internet home phone with 911 support

WickerBill
10-20-16, 06:31 AM
I'm so annoyed that Indianapolis doesn't have any fiber options.

Insomniac
10-20-16, 09:23 AM
I'm so annoyed that Indianapolis doesn't have any fiber options.

The cable company near monopoly on high speed Internet is probably the biggest impediment to cord cutting. Internet and data are so expensive. My Internet at 50 Mbps and 250 GB cap is $77/mo (and DirecTV (with discounts)/Ooma is still cheaper than bundling).

dando
10-21-16, 03:52 PM
To get further off topic...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/21/media/time-warner-att-merger-talks/index.html

Meanwhile, we have Aggie/Bammy and tOSU/PSU on the slate for tomorrow.

dando
10-23-16, 01:39 AM
Tossed salad. :(

dando
10-23-16, 09:21 AM
Well, that sucked. Urban handles the special teams directly, so he has some 'splaining to do over this debacle. :saywhat: :shakehead:

dando
10-23-16, 12:30 PM
Insane...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17862402/oklahoma-sooners-texas-tech-red-raiders-combine-fbs-record-1708-yards-offensive-slugfest

nrc
10-23-16, 08:55 PM
Well, that sucked. Urban handles the special teams directly, so he has some 'splaining to do over this debacle. :saywhat: :shakehead:

I think we're back in that, "I'm glad they lost now instead of stinking up the play-offs" mode. They never really put it all together this season. There's still an outside chance that they could, but with no real deep threat the offence just hasn't been there.

dando
10-23-16, 11:07 PM
I think we're back in that, "I'm glad they lost now instead of stinking up the play-offs" mode. They never really put it all together this season. There's still an outside chance that they could, but with no real deep threat the offence just hasn't been there.

Wait...you mean like complete a pass >5 yards???? :saywhat: There's just no continuity with this bunch on O (Sammy 2 carries, 8 receptions...Weber last week was the lost man). :( Add the 'special' teams woes, and poof!

dando
10-28-16, 09:48 PM
Fun for tomorrow ahead of the BC$ rankings...

Clemson/Free Shoes
Huskers/Wisky
Utes/W

The fun is just beginning. :)

dando
10-30-16, 04:43 PM
Clemson is living on borrowed time, but I still have them in the top 4 since the Big 12 can't get its crap together....

Bammy
Huskies
Muck Fichigan
Clemson

Can't see tOSU winning out to save their arse. :\

Tune in to E$PN Tues at 7 for the first CFP poll.

dando
10-31-16, 01:37 AM
Next few weeks will be interesting...

Bammy/Auburn
Lousville/Houston
Huskies/Wazoo
tOSU/TTUN

Clemson appears to have a clear path unless lightning strikes.

dando
11-01-16, 07:20 PM
CFP #1 is crap...Aggie ahead of Huskies?!? They can't win the $EC championship unless Bammy blows chow. Not. Gonna. Happen. :shakehead:

dando
11-05-16, 08:44 PM
Aggie...told ya. Fool's Gold. Ank is :rofl: :D

dando
11-05-16, 09:07 PM
Trubble in Bammy? :D :gomer:

dando
11-06-16, 10:31 AM
Bammy escapes, tOSU statement W, Baylor gets pantsed by TCU. Your CFP top 6:

Bammy <== but losing some #1 votes
Clemson
Meechicken
Left coast UW

Outside looking in:

tOSU
Louisville

The Iron Bowl suddenly looms large based on last night vs. L$U. If the Tigers had an O, they could have stole that one. Fournette is crap.

dando
11-12-16, 08:33 PM
The Tigers ran out of lives today. :thumbup: :thumbup: Dabo can piss and moan all he wants, but the proof is on the scoreboard. :D

WickerBill
11-12-16, 08:33 PM
Although it was a very entertaining game for this neutral.... the referees just stole a national title shot from Clemson. Two astonishingly bad calls should result in a crew losing any assignments the remainder of the year. Both were appalling and kept drives alive.

dando
11-12-16, 09:21 PM
Although it was a very entertaining game for this neutral.... the referees just stole a national title shot from Clemson. Two astonishingly bad calls should result in a crew losing any assignments the remainder of the year. Both were appalling and kept drives alive.

I had no dog in this fight, but Clemson was on borrowed time. Check the resume...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/228/clemson-tigers

All squeakers except the 'cuse and SC State. 30-24 over Troy? TROY? :saywhat: :shakehead:

WickerBill
11-12-16, 09:22 PM
No doubt. And this game shouldn't have been as close as it was (3 INTs). Still, 14 points for Pitt due to bad officiating changed who got the W and who got the L. Simple as that.

dando
11-12-16, 09:41 PM
No doubt. And this game shouldn't have been as close as it was (3 INTs). Still, 14 points for Pitt due to bad officiating changed who got the W and who got the L. Simple as that.

I'll admit to not seeing the entire game. I was flipping back and forth since tOSU was putting me to sleep. :gomer: I saw the late hit call, but then Dabo went nuke on the sidelines. Surprised he wasn't flagged for his 'discussion' with the refs. All being said, I think Clemson got what they had coming.

dando
11-12-16, 10:24 PM
Left coast UW...Et tu, Brute? :eek:

dando
11-12-16, 11:45 PM
Wow. Just. Wow. :eek:

nrc
11-13-16, 12:14 AM
I'll admit to not seeing the entire game. I was flipping back and forth since tOSU was putting me to sleep. :gomer: I saw the late hit call, but then Dabo went nuke on the sidelines. Surprised he wasn't flagged for his 'discussion' with the refs. All being said, I think Clemson got what they had coming.

The game, or the announcers nattering on about nonsense that is even less interesting the an a blow-out football game?

dando
11-13-16, 12:41 AM
The game, or the announcers nattering on about nonsense that is even less interesting the an a blow-out football game?

Well, the change of the video feed to the dude over the scoreboard sent me over the top. :\

And to quote Jack Buck...I cannot believe what I just saw. :eek:

nrc
11-13-16, 04:07 PM
Saw your comment and thought, what's he on about now? Because Hairball had the lead and the ball late in the fourth last time I checked. Checked scores. :eek::rofl:

chop456
11-14-16, 03:30 AM

5 years ago, the unnecessary roughness call wouldn't have been made. Now, with all the increased emphasis on safety, I think that call gets made 75% of the time. He was stood up and they could have let go when the whistle blew. As for not hearing the whistle, the ref that threw the flag was ~10' away?

I'll admit that I wanted to see Clemson lose, mostly because they take buses from one side of the stadium to the other and it's ridiculous. :gomer:

dando
11-15-16, 11:35 PM
As expected, except for TTUN remaining at #3 despite the loss to Iowa last week. Clemson took a bigger tumble from #2 to #4. Both 1 point upset losses, and opponents have the same records.

1. Bammy
2. tOSU +3
3. TTUN - <== don't get this
4. Clemson -2 <== or this
5. Louisville +1
6. Washington -2

Don't get the fans booing the Clemson CFB poll selection tonight. They defeated Louisville head-to-head. :saywhat:

dando
11-17-16, 10:31 PM
Scenes from tonight's Louisville/Hoston game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ

:gomer: :D

dando
11-20-16, 11:55 PM
Strong (no surprise)...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18099176/texas-longhorns-decides-fire-charlie-strong-football-coach

Where's Ank? :gomer:

Herman is the hot tamale.

dando
11-26-16, 05:13 PM
OK. I quit. :saywhat:

nrc
11-27-16, 01:02 AM
Mmmm. Harbaugh tears are delicious. I only wish I had serious hopes of enjoying more of them tomorrow.

Harbaugh is crying about officiating. Wah. This was clearly a "let them play" game and both sides got away with a lot. If you got called, you did something egregious. The team from up North followed their coach's example of throwing stuff on the field and made a habit of it.

His biggest whine was about the final fourth down conversion. Since we have the benefit of knowing that the line to gain was exactly the 15 yard line we know that all Barret had to do was break that plane with forward progress and there's simply no question that he did that.

Fortunately for Harbaugh there are evidently a few folks in the media who want to give his whine some play so they keep examining the less definitive angle like some kind of Zapruder film. https://twitter.com/SBNationCFB/status/802619767924334592

dando
11-27-16, 05:41 AM
Mmmm. Harbaugh tears are delicious. I only wish I had serious hopes of enjoying more of them tomorrow.

Harbaugh is crying about officiating. Wah. This was clearly a "let them play" game and both sides got away with a lot. If you got called, you did something egregious. The team from up North followed their coach's example of throwing stuff on the field and made a habit of it.

His biggest whine was about the final fourth down conversion. Since we have the benefit of knowing that the line to gain was exactly the 15 yard line we know that all Barret had to do was break that plane with forward progress and there's simply no question that he did that.

Fortunately for Harbaugh there are evidently a few folks in the media who want to give his whine some play so they keep examining the less definitive angle like some kind of Zapruder film. https://twitter.com/SBNationCFB/status/802619767924334592

Now, now....be nice. Coach Khaki just needed to change his tampon. :D :gomer: One of these games, his head is going to explode on the sideline. Instead of seismic measurements, I'd like to see his BP numbers. :eek:

Haven't seen any numbers from the seismic measurements, but 110K+. Yowza! :eek:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18132722/sensors-measure-fan-quakes-michigan-ohio-state-game

If they really want to test fan tremblers...go to Camp Randall. That place shakes when they do the Jump Around. The Shoe is like 4' of concrete all around.

SteveH
11-27-16, 09:43 AM
Harbaugh has a lot of years left as a head coach. His antics are going to get very old.

dando
11-27-16, 11:20 AM
Harbaugh has a lot of years left as a head coach. His antics are going to get very old.

Already are. :gomer:

:saywhat:

dando
11-27-16, 11:24 AM
So going into nest weekend's funness, I have Bammy, tOSU, Clemson and Huskies in the playoff. And underscoring yet again why this needs to be an 8-team playoff...and get rid of some of these idiotic bowl games. :\

WickerBill
11-27-16, 02:49 PM
I don't think being competitive against Ohio State for the first time in forever is going to get old for the people in Ann Arbor.

dando
11-27-16, 04:15 PM
I don't think being competitive against Ohio State for the first time in forever is going to get old for the people in Ann Arbor.

Nope. Harmonkey is legacy. Next season will be telling. One of my FB friends posted that TTUN has 43 seniors. tOSU has 44 frosh.

WickerBill
11-27-16, 06:30 PM
Well, easy enough to figure out. Michigan roster shows 42 freshman, Ohio State roster shows 47. Not sure what that proves.

dando
11-27-16, 07:39 PM
Well, easy enough to figure out. Michigan roster shows 42 freshman, Ohio State roster shows 47. Not sure what that proves.

Depends on the key positions (like Jake Butt)...tOSU returned 3 starters on each side of the ball after last season. Point being that this is time for Harmonkey to prove it with his recruiting classes since they are now his and not RichRod's or Hoke's classes. :)

WickerBill
11-27-16, 07:52 PM
Keep telling yourself that this is all Brady Hoke recruiting. Laughable.

I'm going to enjoy Michigan-Ohio State much more now as a neutral, knowing Harbaugh and Meyer are making this rivalry (and the Big Ten) great again.

Harbaugh Harbaugh Harbaugh

dando
11-27-16, 08:23 PM
Keep telling yourself that this is all Brady Hoke recruiting. Laughable.

Factual. Butt, Peppers, etc. were all recruited under Hoke's watch. For example, Butt is a senior...Harmonkey has been there two seasons. Do the math. You may want to take your shoes off. :gomer: :p And I'm all for the Border War again. I loved the 70s when The Dispatch and FREEP ran ads the week of The Game. :)

dando
11-27-16, 08:30 PM

:D :cool:

WickerBill
11-27-16, 08:35 PM

nrc
11-27-16, 08:51 PM
Already are. :gomer:

:saywhat:

Dood. That's not right. There's not enough eye bleach in the world to unsee that.

dando
11-27-16, 09:04 PM
WB, the proof is in the pudding...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/130/michigan-wolverines

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/194/ohio-state-buckeyes

Butt, Peppers, Speight, O'Korn, etc. were all from previous recruiting classes. Not Harbaugh's. The next couple of years will tell the tale of the tape. :)

nrc
11-28-16, 02:16 AM
Clearly Harbaugh had a lot more experience to work with this season. Most of of his starters were Seniors compared to only a few for OSU. Logically you would assume that Harbaugh will have to reload while OSU will continue to improve. You might have assumed that about OSU in 2015 as well but instead they were one of the most under-achieving OSU teams I can recall.

Honestly the best outcome for OSU might be to get snubbed in the play-off selection this year and come back with a chip on their shoulder next year. I don't think they have what it takes to win it this year.

As for Harbaugh and recruiting, we'll see. Obviously they've desperately wanted someone to help them get their mojo back. The players were feeling it even if they didn't deliver. Maybe Harbaugh can sell that swagger to the prospects but I don't think that crying about officiating helps.

Gnam
11-28-16, 02:28 AM
Harbaugh for President.

dando
11-28-16, 07:15 AM
Clearly Harbaugh had a lot more experience to work with this season. Most of of his starters were Seniors compared to only a few for OSU. Logically you would assume that Harbaugh will have to reload while OSU will continue to improve. You might have assumed that about OSU in 2015 as well but instead they were one of the most under-achieving OSU teams I can recall.

Honestly the best outcome for OSU might be to get snubbed in the play-off selection this year and come back with a chip on their shoulder next year. I don't think they have what it takes to win it this year.

As for Harbaugh and recruiting, we'll see. Obviously they've desperately wanted someone to help them get their mojo back. The players were feeling it even if they didn't deliver. Maybe Harbaugh can sell that swagger to the prospects but I don't think that crying about officiating helps.

Considering the talent '15 was VERY disappointing. I go back to the Sparty game and the few carries for Zeke in the second half. Sparty just has some bad Karma for tOSU. See week before. :\ No, they can't win it all this season. Saban would want revenge if they get that far.

Harbaugh will get it done...eventually. My point was that he's playing with players already in the cupboard. He's going to have prove it or lose it with his own recruits.

Side note...funny how the chatterheads were touting Louisville as the best bet to beat Bammy a few weeks ago. Not so much now, eh? At this point, I say tOSU has the best chance to beat Bammy based on its D, but the O just plain sucks. :\

Insomniac
11-28-16, 10:55 AM
Penn State (if the Big 10 champ) and OSU should not both make the playoffs. That's really my only opinion. The havoc should be limited to the Big 10 division if the champ is left out.

dando
11-28-16, 11:14 AM
Penn State (if the Big 10 champ) and OSU should not both make the playoffs. That's really my only opinion. The havoc should be limited to the Big 10 division if the champ is left out.

It really comes down to what they committee weighs more heavily....SOS or conference championship? PSU only has one 'good' win, which was due to tOSU imploding. Idiots. :\ They've been hammering on the SOS the past two playoffs, which irks me since these schedules are made years in advance. It's not like, hey, next season let's play Alabama. :shakehead: :saywhat: If the Buffs beat the Huskies, this will be nutty.

Insomniac
11-28-16, 12:15 PM
It really comes down to what they committee weighs more heavily....SOS or conference championship? PSU only has one 'good' win, which was due to tOSU imploding. Idiots. :\ They've been hammering on the SOS the past two playoffs, which irks me since these schedules are made years in advance. It's not like, hey, next season let's play Alabama. :shakehead: :saywhat: If the Buffs beat the Huskies, this will be nutty.

That's the problem with subjectivity. Do you earn your spot in the top 4? Do they want what they think are the 4 best teams now? Do they want what they think will be the 4 best matchups either on the field or for ratings? All of those methods I think get you different results and are all so arguable. I think the more subjective they are the worse it is. Football is such a great game because it is any given Sunday. I know in college that is less so than the NFL, but no one can predict how a game will go (or the ball will bounce). They seem to be subjective and then use objective numbers to try and support what they do. A bit like a judge who makes a decision and then finds how to justify it.

The simplest solution is pick the 4 best conference champs unless there's a compelling reason to go outside that which is basically a conference has two really strong teams that basically the 2nd team lost only to the champ and the other conferences had much lower winning % for champs.

So assuming best records won out in champ games, the universe is:

Alabama 13-0
Clemson 12-1
Washington 12-1
Wisconsin/Penn State 11-2
Oklahoma/Oklahoma State 10-2
South Florida/Navy 12-2
Western Michigan 13-0

First 3 are easy. And just by general rankings, the last spot is up for grabs between Big Ten and Big 12. You're basically trying to decide how does a non-champ OSU at 11-1 get the spot over a champ. Wisconsin is an easy case, they lost to OSU and Mich. Penn State is tougher. Have a round robin of PSU/OSU/Mich. So you weigh the loss to Pitt vs being the champs. I personally wouldn't do it. Oklahoma, they beat them head to head so pretty easy to make the case. OK State, their best win was vs #8. I could see the argument there.

I'd rank the 4 possible champs as:

Penn State
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Wisconsin

If I'm on the committee, it's a high bar to get OSU in if this is the final standings. I think Wisconsin has to be champ, anyone else, OSU stays home. Deference to the champs. Which basically gets me back to where I started, OSU should only take the Big Ten champ's spot.

Edit: If this was 2017, I think OU and OKState would play again for the Big 12 championship. That would either make a stronger case if the same team wins twice of weakens them to each have another loss.

nrc
11-28-16, 01:24 PM
I like the idea of a six team play-off. Four is too few and eight is too many. Same format as the NFL, the top two seeds get a bye and the bottom four play to challenge them.

dando
11-28-16, 02:22 PM
I like the idea of a six team play-off. Four is too few and eight is too many. Same format as the NFL, the top two seeds get a bye and the bottom four play to challenge them.

Eight is fine if they get rid of the nuisance bowls. Otherwise, play-in games works for me. Just get the Big 12 Idiots to get a clue. :\

Insomniac
11-28-16, 02:34 PM
If we're dropping all pretenses that college football is not a business and feeder system for the NFL, they should realign the Power 5 into 4x16 conferences with a focus on regions to minimize travel. 10 game regular season. 2 weeks for conference playoff (remaining teams can play each other). 8 team playoff consisting of conference champ game teams.

Max games in a year = 15. Minimum is 12. Bowl Teams 13.

Schedule:

4 x 16 Conferences
4 x 4 Divisions
- Home & Away within Division, 6 games
- Play another division and rotate annually, 4 games
- Division Winners in Conference Championship Playoff
- Freedom for the conferences to schedule remaining 2 games for other 12 teams out of division
8 Conference Champions in Final Playoff with Bracket Pre-Determined and rotated to ensure Round 1 always has a champ vs a runner-up and the teams from the same conference can only meet in the championship.

C1W1 vs C2L2
C3W1 vs C4L2
C2W1 vs C1L2
C4W1 vs C3L2

Insomniac
11-28-16, 02:35 PM

Four is not always going to be too few, but six will be too many in a subjective system.

dando
11-28-16, 08:33 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18158937/big-ten-fines-michigan-wolverines-scolds-jim-harbaugh-ref-rant

Bummer, dickhead. :gomer:

dando
11-29-16, 06:57 AM
We now have numbers...5.79 on the Richter Scale.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2016/11/77386/video-ohio-stadium-registers-a-579-on-the-richter-scale-after-curtis-samuels-game-winning-touchdown-against-michigan

:eek:

Elmo T
12-02-16, 04:08 PM
More cross-promotional marketing?

Headlights and turn signals too? Street legal I guess.

http://i64.tinypic.com/noblea.jpg

dando
12-02-16, 04:10 PM
More cross-promotional marketing?

Headlights and turn signals too? Street legal I guess.

http://i64.tinypic.com/noblea.jpg

Mirrors will never work. :gomer: Go Wisky! :D

SteveH
12-02-16, 04:14 PM
Is that a Lola?

Elmo T
12-02-16, 04:41 PM
Is that a Lola?

That is all I've seen - haven't been able to find anything else on it.

SteveH
12-02-16, 05:05 PM
Now that I look closer it appears to have an airbox behind the roll hoop. :confused:

cameraman
12-02-16, 10:18 PM
It's a strange beast, it doesn't really match any car

Gnam
12-03-16, 01:10 AM
It's a Penn-ske.

;)