View Full Version : College Football 2016

Pages : 1 [2]

dando
12-03-16, 03:07 AM
So much for the chaos the chatterheads wanted.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/106886/washington-showcases-its-versatility-in-41-10-pac-12-title-romp-over-colorado

Barring any mayhem today (non expected), the top 4 is set. Me thinks the committee may play shenanigans and put tOSU in the Bammy side of the bracket.

nrc
12-03-16, 02:49 PM
I'm thinking it's an old Indy Lights car. Searching for references made me too sad.

nrc
12-04-16, 08:09 PM
I honestly thought that the Buckeyes might get left out after Penn State's comeback win against the Badgers. The committee has to hope the Buckeyes and Huskies show well or there will be much griping.

If you followed the six team format we'd be seeing an Ohio State rematch against Michigan and Penn state against Washington to see who faces Alabama and Clemson. That's enough. There's no benefit to throwing Oklahoma (7) or Wisconsin (8) back into the mix.

dando
12-04-16, 08:19 PM
I honestly thought that the Buckeyes might get left out after Penn State's comeback win against the Badgers. The committee has to hope the Buckeyes and Huskies show well or there will be much griping.

If you followed the six team format we'd be seeing an Ohio State rematch against Michigan and Penn state against Washington to see who faces Alabama and Clemson. That's enough. There's no benefit to throwing Oklahoma (7) or Wisconsin (8) back into the mix.

Not according to the Big 12 Commish, who is already griping along with Mark May, Danny Kanell, and Dez Howard. :shakehead: No way I wanted tOSU left out, and the bestest match up was against 'no D' Clemson.

Insomniac
12-05-16, 10:11 AM
Not according to the Big 12 Commish, who is already griping along with Mark May, Danny Kanell, and Dez Howard. :shakehead: No way I wanted tOSU left out, and the bestest match up was against 'no D' Clemson.

He's rightfully griping. He wants clarity on what it takes to make the CFP. Penn State should be too, they won the conference. At the end of the day, the record and subjectivity won out. Why does the Big 12 need a 13th game?

Insomniac
12-05-16, 10:17 AM

Left out? How about how did they earn their spot? 3 teams from the same conference is enough? 75% of the games played are all within a conference. OSU beat OU in Week 2 and that's the only direct data point between the Big Ten and OU. If rankings were good enough, people wouldn't be clamoring for a playoff.

dando
12-05-16, 10:33 AM
He's rightfully griping. He wants clarity on what it takes to make the CFP. Penn State should be too, they won the conference. At the end of the day, the record and subjectivity won out. Why does the Big 12 need a 13th game?

It's like a jury...twelve angry men discussing the 'evidence'. There's no real formula to this, unlike the BC$ when they fed the various polls and came up with a computer poll. And the Harris Poll was a complete sham. Why a 13th game? It gives their 'champ' a better chance to state their case...plus make some jack. They screwed the pooch when they held their dog and pony show and decided not to expand. The fact is that the Big 12 was seriously down this season. TCU, Baylor and Texas stunk it up. So you have Okie and WV with a suspect Okie State (a 3 loss team).

Insomniac
12-05-16, 11:12 AM
It's like a jury...twelve angry men discussing the 'evidence'. There's no real formula to this, unlike the BC$ when they fed the various polls and came up with a computer poll. And the Harris Poll was a complete sham. Why a 13th game? It gives their 'champ' a better chance to state their case...plus make some jack. They screwed the pooch when they held their dog and pony show and decided not to expand. The fact is that the Big 12 was seriously down this season. TCU, Baylor and Texas stunk it up. So you have Okie and WV with a suspect Okie State (a 3 loss team).

So he's doing his job trying to figure out how one of his teams qualifies. The 13th game is just a rematch of a game earlier in the season. OSU just showed 12 games is enough and you don't even have to be a champ. That's all he's saying. It all starts with 2014 when TCU was just bumped down the rankings by the committee in the last week. You just said the weak conference hurts them. How does adding 2 more weak teams help? I agree it doesn't matter this year, he's not arguing OU should be in the CFP, he just wants clarity. The championship game could hurt them more than help them. IMO, the Big 12 should assume they need to go undefeated to make it. I think he's now worried a one or 2 loss champion could still lose a spot to a non-champ.

dando
12-05-16, 11:55 AM
So he's doing his job trying to figure out how one of his teams qualifies. The 13th game is just a rematch of a game earlier in the season. OSU just showed 12 games is enough and you don't even have to be a champ. That's all he's saying. It all starts with 2014 when TCU was just bumped down the rankings by the committee in the last week. You just said the weak conference hurts them. How does adding 2 more weak teams help? I agree it doesn't matter this year, he's not arguing OU should be in the CFP, he just wants clarity. The championship game could hurt them more than help them. IMO, the Big 12 should assume they need to go undefeated to make it. I think he's now worried a one or 2 loss champion could still lose a spot to a non-champ.

I get his point, but this is no different than what happens with March Madness seeding/placement. There's no formula there either. It's all very subjective. TCU got bumped down because their SOS sucked....much like Washington this season, but they survived because they opened a can of whoop ass on Colorado. Much like tOSU in '14 over Wisky (59-0). P$U was down 28-7. They won the game because Wisky's O was inept...much like the way they beat tOSU on two fluke special teams blocks down 21-7. Yes, it's part of the game, but context matters. And don't get me started on the B1G scheduling two road and night games for tOSU against ranked teams both coming off bye weeks.

I would prefer a 6-team playoff with Power 5 Champs getting the first four spots, and two wildcards. And get rid of or repurpose some of the silly-assed bowls...41 bowls?!? Nuts. Hell, the ACC Championship Game gave away tix to DI$ employees to fill the stands in Orlando due to the NC issues due to the LBGT law. Most of these games don't generate butts in seats, and the only benefit is additional practice time for bowl teams.

nrc
12-05-16, 06:36 PM
Left out? How about how did they earn their spot? 3 teams from the same conference is enough? 75% of the games played are all within a conference. OSU beat OU in Week 2 and that's the only direct data point between the Big Ten and OU. If rankings were good enough, people wouldn't be clamoring for a playoff.

I think "left out" is a fair characterization when you go into the weekend ranked 2nd.

There's one data point but it's pretty definitive - a 21 point OSU win at Oklahoma. Add that to results by other Big Ten teams against ranked opponents early in the season and you have a strong case going in that the Big Ten was a top conference this year. We'll see if that pans out in the bowl games this year.

dando
12-05-16, 06:42 PM
I think "left out" is a fair characterization when you go into the weekend ranked 2nd.

There's one data point but it's pretty definitive - a 21 point OSU win at Oklahoma. Add that to results by other Big Ten teams against ranked opponents early in the season and you have a strong case going in that the Big Ten was a top conference this year. We'll see if that pans out in the bowl games this year.

I have high confidence in TTUN and Wisky...low confidence in P$U vs U$C. Iowa, Big Red N, Mildcats...roll the dice.

dando
12-12-16, 05:21 AM
Catholics vs. Convicts 30 for 30 is a great watch. :thumbup:

nrc
01-01-17, 12:03 AM
I think we're back in that, "I'm glad they lost now instead of stinking up the play-offs" mode. They never really put it all together this season. There's still an outside chance that they could, but with no real deep threat the offence just hasn't been there.

Honestly the best outcome for OSU might be to get snubbed in the play-off selection this year and come back with a chip on their shoulder next year. I don't think they have what it takes to win it this year.

Looks like we're back to that. I suppose they can come back next year motivated to erase the stink of that performance. Clemson's brilliant defensive strategy was really just mimicking what previous Big Ten opponents exposed. Play short zones - they can't beat you long, four good rushers is enough, and you can prevent Barrett from beating you with the run.

Credit the OSU defense and teams for keeping it in reach for most of the game with no help from the offense.

I blame Dando's bad attitude for opening up the the Ohio State kicker black hole of suck that pulled in both the Bengals and the Buckeyes this year. :P

dando
01-01-17, 02:34 AM
I blame Dando's bad attitude for opening up the the Ohio State kicker black hole of suck that pulled in both the Bengals and the Buckeyes this year. :P

Hey now I resemble that. :gomer: I just don't get how you have a PK as #1 PK who is a walk on and just two-years organized football experience for a top-tier FBS team. :saywhat: :shakehead:

There was zero good to come out of this debacle. Zero. :(

Insomniac
01-01-17, 01:17 PM
Who got beat worse? OSU or Ronda Rousey? :D

dando
01-01-17, 03:19 PM
Who got beat worse? OSU or Ronda Rousey? :D

Rousey. tOSU last longer. :gomer: (Although it may have been over in :48)

Insomniac
01-02-17, 01:05 PM
Rousey. tOSU last longer. :gomer: (Although it may have been over in :48)

At least OSU aren't sore losers.

dando
01-02-17, 01:52 PM
At least OSU aren't sore losers.

You obviously didn't see the hate email sent to Durbin for missing those FGs. In some cases, we eat our own. :( :shakehead: I'm a realist...I didn't expect to win, but I did expect a pulse from the O. :irked:

dando
01-02-17, 02:15 PM
Putz Kiffin leaving Bama ahead of the National Championship Game. Frankly, I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18394667/lane-kiffin-not-coach-offense-alabama-crimson-tide-title-game

nrc
01-02-17, 02:15 PM
You obviously didn't see the hate email sent to Durbin for missing those FGs. In some cases, we eat our own. :( :shakehead: I'm a realist...I didn't expect to win, but I did expect a pulse from the O. :irked:

Members of Buckeye Nation behaving with less than the utmost sportsmanship and decorum? Say it isn't so! :rolleyes:

dando
01-02-17, 02:45 PM
Members of Buckeye Nation behaving with less than the utmost sportsmanship and decorum? Say it isn't so! :rolleyes:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/1/1/14139074/ohio-state-tyler-durbin-email-fiesta-bowl-2017 :saywhat:

Insomniac
01-02-17, 02:48 PM

Yeah, I'm talking about the team. No fan base oozes class as a whole. :)

TravelGal
01-03-17, 02:05 AM
Holy Jamole. That Rose Bowl game had to be the most entertaining game I've seen in like forevah. Not the best game but the most entertaining. :eek: Using I'm dozing by the second quarter. Not this time!

Elmo T
01-03-17, 08:26 AM
Holy Jamole. That Rose Bowl game had to be the most entertaining game I've seen in like forevah. Not the best game but the most entertaining. :eek: Using I'm dozing by the second quarter. Not this time!

Hated to see PSU lose, but it was an unbelievable game. Yea, some sloppy play, but entertaining to the end.

dando
01-03-17, 11:30 AM

Don't neglect the Orange Bowl. TTUN/Free Shoes put on a good show, too. Good game. Fun quotient == 10 Football quotient == 5

Now comes the difficult part...football withdrawal setting in. :( :gomer:

Elmo T
01-03-17, 11:44 AM
Now comes the difficult part...football withdrawal setting in. :( :gomer:

Looks like OSU started their withdraw before their game. ;)

dando
01-03-17, 11:55 AM
Looks like OSU started their withdraw before their game. ;)

Hey now...they left it all on the field...in Madden 17 on PS4. :gomer: :saywhat:

dando
01-03-17, 08:06 PM
Urb reworking the tOSU O staff...opening a tOSU branch office in Austin.

Insomniac
01-04-17, 10:14 AM
I heard speculation that Chip Kelly will be the next OC at OSU.

Gnam
01-04-17, 01:36 PM
https://s27.postimg.org/cnj3x6ztf/Wrong_Card_e1451481890300.jpg

dando
01-09-17, 09:22 PM
Stepping out onto a limb (with a saw in hand)....Clemson by a TD. 24-17.

Gnam
01-10-17, 01:46 AM
Stepping out onto a limb (with a saw in hand)....Clemson by a TD. 24-17.
Wrong! Only by 4. ;)

The Clemson receivers made some incredible receptions. Great game.

dando
01-10-17, 02:15 AM
Wrong! Only by 4. ;)

The Clemson receivers made some incredible receptions. Great game.

Bugger. Last time I listen to TG's advice. ;) One for the ages. :eek:

TravelGal
01-10-17, 12:16 PM
Bugger. Last time I listen to TG's advice. ;) One for the ages. :eek:

Huh? Me TG? I didn't say anything. I was mildly rooting for Alabama because a friend of mine went to college there. TravelGuy was all out for Clemson so that made it interesting. Overall, I thought the second half worthy of a title game but in the first half I was wishing for the USC game to come back on. Maybe because I cared who won in that one but not in this one. :confused: