PDA

View Full Version : Paralympics Rio 2016

TravelGal
09-10-16, 11:48 AM
Thanks to several posts on Facebook by CJ, whom I call the unofficial Champ Car photog, TravelGuy and I recorded then watched several events of the Paralympics taking place now in Rio. NBCSN. Sports are sports and competition is competition. We were just as engaged as with the able-bodied Olympics. Fortunately the announcers describe the rules and the special accommodations needed for each sport. I'm hoping they televise Zanardi's event but I know we'll be watching quite a bit more of most things before then. Check it out and prepare to be amazed at the grit and determination of these athletes. :thumbup:

opinionated ow
09-10-16, 11:32 PM
Thanks to several posts on Facebook by CJ, whom I call the unofficial Champ Car photog, TravelGuy and I recorded then watched several events of the Paralympics taking place now in Rio. NBCSN. Sports are sports and competition is competition. We were just as engaged as with the able-bodied Olympics. Fortunately the announcers describe the rules and the special accommodations needed for each sport. I'm hoping they televise Zanardi's event but I know we'll be watching quite a bit more of most things before then. Check it out and prepare to be amazed at the grit and determination of these athletes. :thumbup:

Unfortunately there is no coverage of the road cycling. Just as there was none for the inaugural paratriathlon yesterday and today. The International Paralympic Committee has all the televised sports available on live stream and then after full events on their youtube but Australia, USA, Mexico and UK are geoblocked. In the UK Channel 4 has it geoblocked but it is streaming all sports on its own website with their own commentary. Australia is getting 14 hours a day except that you would think it was the Australian Paralympic Swimming Championships because apparently we only want to watch those decked out in green and gold in a pool. :flaming:

For someone like me who is such an advocate of Paralympic sport it is the worst thing ever. I'm absolutely livid.

TravelGal
09-11-16, 09:39 PM
For someone like me who is such an advocate of Paralympic sport it is the worst thing ever. I'm absolutely livid.

I feel your pain except that, as I remember, we had ZERO coverage after London. It's one of the reasons I'm "taping" everything and trying to watch as much as I can. Imagine my surprise to find how much I truly do enjoy it.

Definitely attack the websites of the service providers and make your feelings known. I'm sure that they only reason we're seeing anything. That and, it pains me, really pains me to say this, NASCAR, which has stepped up as a huge sponsor. And, yes, on this side, it seems like the USA paralympics, which makes me wonder if I'll see Alex if there are no Americans in his finals on 9/16. :irked:

opinionated ow
09-12-16, 12:12 AM
Paratriathlon made it's debut and so exciting! 6 of the 10 categories got to race. It was an amazing effort by the USA too.

Men PT2 (Ambulatory)
1. Andrew Lewis (GBR)
2. Michele Ferrarin (ITA)
3. Mohamed Lahna (MAR)

Men PT4 (Ambulatory)
1. Martin Schulz (GER)
2. Stefan Daniel (CAN)
3. Jairo Ruiz Lopez (ESP)

Men PT1 (Wheelchair)
1. Jetze Plat (NED)
2. Geert Schipper (NED)
3. Giovanni Achenza (ITA)

Women PT2 (Ambulatory)
1. Allyssa Seely (USA)
2. Hailey Danisewicz (USA)
3. Melissa Stockwell (USA)

Women PT4 (Ambulatory)
1. Grace Norman (USA)
2. Lauren Steadman (GBR)
3. Gwladys Lemoussu (FRA)

Women PT5 (Visually Impaired)
1. Katie Kelly/Michellie Jones (AUS)
2. Alison Patrick/Hazel Smith (GBR)
3. Melissa Reid/Nicole Walters (GBR)

The Australian PT5 guide, Michellie Jones, is the Sydney 2000 Silver Medallist! She also has won 2 world championship, 1 ironman world championship, and in 2014 came out of semi-retirement to be the best age-grouper and claim that world championship!

Americans and British were on fire but medal winners came from 4 continents (Africa, North America, Europe & Australia). Paratri is already the fastest growing para-sport with two distinct levels already recognised but it will continue to get bigger!

opinionated ow
09-12-16, 12:13 AM
I feel your pain except that, as I remember, we had ZERO coverage after London. It's one of the reasons I'm "taping" everything and trying to watch as much as I can. Imagine my surprise to find how much I truly do enjoy it.

Definitely attack the websites of the service providers and make your feelings known. I'm sure that they only reason we're seeing anything. That and, it pains me, really pains me to say this, NASCAR, which has stepped up as a huge sponsor. And, yes, on this side, it seems like the USA paralympics, which makes me wonder if I'll see Alex if there are no Americans in his finals on 9/16. :irked:

You won't see Alex because road cycling isn't being filmed by the host broadcaster.

TravelGal
09-12-16, 12:19 PM
You won't see Alex because road cycling isn't being filmed by the host broadcaster.

:cry::cry::cry:

dando
09-14-16, 11:15 AM
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2016/09/14/alex-zanardi-paralympics-time-trial/

:)

G.
09-14-16, 07:20 PM
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2016/09/14/alex-zanardi-paralympics-time-trial/

:)

The other racers are at a disadvantage because they are not Alex.

:thumbup:

dando
09-14-16, 08:32 PM
The other racers are at a disadvantage because they are not Alex.

:thumbup:

It's Z. G. :)

opinionated ow
09-15-16, 05:26 AM
Huge effort by Zanardi. Second to an awesome Aussie, Stuart Tripp!

TravelGal
09-15-16, 11:23 AM
Huge effort by Zanardi. Second to an awesome Aussie, Stuart Tripp!

:thumbup: CJ says there was a brief interview with him at the end of last night's MSNBC coverage. As with the able bodied Olympics, I'm behind in my viewing but I'm sure glad to know it's there somewhere on the DVD. :)