PDA

View Full Version : NFL Football thread '16

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

dando
02-03-17, 09:33 PM
Someone should dump trash on his lawn.

I would prefer something more 'sophisticated'....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

:gomer: :D

dando
02-05-17, 11:56 AM
Mike Greenberg ‏@Espngreeny 3m3 minutes ago
More
The #Patriots defensive numbers were skewed by schedule. Highest QBR they faced all year was Tyrod Taylor. #Falcons will score some points.

Hmmm...IIRC, I've made this point previously. Big Ben was off in the AFC Championship. I've seen numerous replays over the past two weeks, and he basically played like King Brady vs. Texans. The loss of Bell also hurt the Stealers O game plan big time.

Insomniac
02-05-17, 02:06 PM
Hmmm...IIRC, I've made this point previously. Big Ben was off in the AFC Championship. I've seen numerous replays over the past two weeks, and he basically played like King Brady vs. Texans. The loss of Bell also hurt the Stealers O game plan big time.

Bell was not having a good day against New England before his injury. The D-Line was 2 gapping and he couldn't stand there and wait to find a hole because they were not going to commit to any gaps. They were very well prepared for him, so much so they initially struggled with Williams. Big Ben was fine in the game. He was way better than Brady vs Houston. His guys had some drops when they beat NE's third corner.

Steelers put up good numbers and that's the same problem Atlanta is going to face. New England is going to make it hard for them to get it all in one play. When they get in the red zone it's going to be even harder. Atlanta will score points, but if they're kicking field goals instead of touchdowns, that could be a problem without turnovers.

dando
02-05-17, 08:46 PM
Ruh roh, Inso. King QB....not so much.

nrc
02-06-17, 03:00 AM
Wow. I think that pretty much answers the "best ever" question.

Still, credit to the Patriots defense - all Brady's heroics would have been for nothing if they hadn't shut the Falcons down late in the game.

Gotta feel for Falcons fans. That's going to leave deep emotional scars for a long time. I know, I still twitch when I see Joe Montana. :saywhat:

Gnam
02-06-17, 03:02 AM
:D Tremendous! Super Tremendous! Really, really really great! :thumbup:

nrc
02-06-17, 03:34 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C38kKi-W8AAF0Zd.jpg

dando
02-06-17, 04:52 AM
Wow. I think that pretty much answers the "best ever" question.

Still, credit to the Patriots defense - all Brady's heroics would have been for nothing if they hadn't shut the Falcons down late in the game.

Gotta feel for Falcons fans. That's going to leave deep emotional scars for a long time. I know, I still twitch when I see Joe Montana. :saywhat:

Or ET dropping the fer sure INT. :irked: :mad:

TKGAngel
02-06-17, 09:06 AM
I fell asleep just after NE made it a 2 score game. Woke up to OT and wondered what the sam hill was going on. Clearly, I missed a thing.

I really enjoyed Gaga at halftime and the ladies of Hamilton doing America the Beautiful. Luke Bryan did a nice job with the anthem but it was a bit too slow for me. And it was very nice seeing Bush 41 and the Mrs. up and around for the coin toss. At 90+ years old, your thrill is waking up in the morning, never mind tossing the coin at your hometown Super Bowl. :thumbup:

chop456
02-06-17, 09:18 AM
Shea McClellin Super Bowl ring. Check.

Insomniac
02-06-17, 01:42 PM
That was just crazy. Everything somehow just worked out. It was just too much for Atlanta, almost 100 plays they defended. I still think XLIX was the biggest single play, but this has to be the best game in SB history. To somehow wake up and be a fan of the winning team is just surreal. I work with quite a lot of people in Georgia and feel so bad for them to have to experience that. You could see the pain they must all feel on Arthur Blank's face. So many ups and downs in this one. I predicted their biggest win, but I didn't think they'd see how many people they could get to have a heart attack or turn the game off before they did it.

Gnam
02-06-17, 02:54 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/l0ExpYJiW867TwI9i/200_s.gif

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/UlCR38dLUBTtk5vZSyYDVhw3Ktg=/400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7936211/HOLYCATCH.0.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3q2H8199IcFk0lPO/giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0ExmZiB4W9iZlLtm/giphy.gif

Amazing! :cool:

dando
02-06-17, 03:31 PM
That was just crazy. Everything somehow just worked out. It was just too much for Atlanta, almost 100 plays they defended. I still think XLIX was the biggest single play, but this has to be the best game in SB history. To somehow wake up and be a fan of the winning team is just surreal. I work with quite a lot of people in Georgia and feel so bad for them to have to experience that. You could see the pain they must all feel on Arthur Blank's face. So many ups and downs in this one. I predicted their biggest win, but I didn't think they'd see how many people they could get to have a heart attack or turn the game off before they did it.

The # of plays is slightly skewed due to the OT. However, it was evident that the Birds D hit the wall in the 4th Q. One minute and I'm going to give you crap, and the next I'm reliving 1989. :saywhat:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/superbowls/xxiii/

Insomniac
02-06-17, 05:21 PM
The # of plays is slightly skewed due to the OT. However, it was evident that the Birds D hit the wall in the 4th Q. One minute and I'm going to give you crap, and the next I'm reliving 1989. :saywhat:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/superbowls/xxiii/

It was just 9 plays in OT. So still 90 plays against about 50 from Atlanta. The game just doesn't make much sense between stats and the score, but to me, it was clear that the difference was 1. No drops, 2. A little more separation and 3. Brady had more time to throw. A lot had to go right for the Patriots to go from nearly 100% probability of losing to winning the game. It was a game of energy and conditioning. The Patriots (with a little help) had just enough time to dig out of that hole. Certainly made my night great it worked out. :D

Gnam
02-06-17, 09:05 PM
I didn't know the Falcons' head coach, Dan Quinn, used to work for Pete Carroll and the Seahawks. That would explain all the holding calls against the Atlanta defenders. Once a cheat, always a cheat.

Losing to the Patriots in the Super Bowl two times must sting. :D

Gnam
02-06-17, 09:17 PM
The highlight of Colin Kaepernick's year was getting beat by the Patriots and meeting Tom Brady.

https://s28.postimg.org/xrpstakr1/Tom_Brady_Colin_Kaepernick_San_Francisco_49ers_w.j pg

Insomniac
02-07-17, 10:30 AM
The highlight of Colin Kaepernick's year was getting beat by the Patriots and meeting Tom Brady.

https://s28.postimg.org/xrpstakr1/Tom_Brady_Colin_Kaepernick_San_Francisco_49ers_w.j pg

Haha, that was when they met 4 years ago at Gillette Stadium. :)

I'd think his highlight was protesting and the lowlight was then revealing he didn't bother to vote.

dando
02-10-17, 11:30 PM
Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 2m2 minutes ago
More
On NE's game-tying drive in the Super Bowl, of the 11 offensive players on the field, 1 was drafted earlier than the third round.

:eek:

And the Clowns bleed 1st rounders like taking a leak.

Insomniac
02-11-17, 03:15 PM
:eek:

And the Clowns bleed 1st rounders like taking a leak.

He's actually wrong there. One guy was LT Nate Solder (1st Rd) and he didn't have the greatest of games against an aging Dwight Freeney. The other guy was Martellus Bennett who was a 2nd rounder. There was also 12 players because NE ran 4WR/1RB and 3WR/1RB/1TE packages (they also rotated Amendola/Mitchell on 3 WR).

The rest if you're curious (First 9 were all drafted/signed out of college by NE, last 3 were FA additions, 2 this season):

LT Nate Solder (2011 1st)
LG Joe Thuney (2016, 3rd)
C David Andrews (2015, Undrafted)
RG Shaq Mason (2015, 4th)
RT Marcus Cannon (2011, 5th)
QB Tom Brady (2000, 6th)
RB James White (2014, 4th)
WR Julian Edelman (2009, 7th)
WR Malcolm Mitchell (2016, 4th)
WR Danny Amendola (2008, Undrafted)
WR Chris Hogan (2011, Undrafted)
TE Martellus Bennett (2008, 2nd)

(Yes, I've watched nearly every follow up, Inside the NFL, Sound FX, NFL Replay, NFL Turning Point...)

dando
02-11-17, 07:10 PM
He's actually wrong there. One guy was LT Nate Solder (1st Rd) and he didn't have the greatest of games against an aging Dwight Freeney. The other guy was Martellus Bennett who was a 2nd rounder. There was also 12 players because NE ran 4WR/1RB and 3WR/1RB/1TE packages (they also rotated Amendola/Mitchell on 3 WR).

The rest if you're curious (First 9 were all drafted/signed out of college by NE, last 3 were FA additions, 2 this season):

LT Nate Solder (2011 1st)
LG Joe Thuney (2016, 3rd)
C David Andrews (2015, Undrafted)
RG Shaq Mason (2015, 4th)
RT Marcus Cannon (2011, 5th)
QB Tom Brady (2000, 6th)
RB James White (2014, 4th)
WR Julian Edelman (2009, 7th)
WR Malcolm Mitchell (2016, 4th)
WR Danny Amendola (2008, Undrafted)
WR Chris Hogan (2011, Undrafted)
TE Martellus Bennett (2008, 2nd)

(Yes, I've watched nearly every follow up, Inside the NFL, Sound FX, NFL Replay, NFL Turning Point...)

You sound like nrc re-watching XXIII wishing Billups made that pick. :\

Yeah, yeah, yeah....yer just rubbing it in to Clowns fans. :gomer: Picking gnat **** from pepper....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Picking%20the%20fly%20shit%20out%2 0of%20the%20pepper

;)

nrc
02-11-17, 08:54 PM

Shup! :(

dando
02-11-17, 11:39 PM
Shup! :(

Dude, I had my 6-pack (unopened) of Who Dey from '88/'89 until a recent move. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFOBI1cZaM

:gomer: ;)

dando
02-12-17, 11:11 AM
Grumbles....I am officially moving the Pats to #1 on the most disliked list past the 9ers...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18670800/new-england-patriots-file-blitz-six-trademark

:gomer:

Insomniac
02-12-17, 11:39 AM

Yeah, yeah, yeah....yer just rubbing it in to Clowns fans. :gomer: Picking gnat **** from pepper....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Picking%20the%20fly%20shit%20out%2 0of%20the%20pepper

;)

And now there's talk of a possible bidding war for Jimmy Garoppolo between the Bears, 49ers and Browns. NE could alleviate the Browns of one bad 1st round pick. :D

I just read your post and instantly thought that wasn't right. I was pretty sure Bennett was drafted higher.

Got me curious about 1st rounders on the teams. A quick summary of playoff teams:

Team (Total 1st, Own 1st)
New England Patriots (8, 4)
Atlanta Falcons (12, 7)
Pittsburgh Steelers (12, 9)
Green Bay Packers (9, 8)
Dallas Cowboys (9, 7)
Kansas City Chiefs (9, 7)
Seattle Seahawks (3, 2)
Houston Texans (11, 9)
Oakland Raiders (9, 5)
New York Giants (8, 5)
Miami Dolphins (8, 5)
Detroit Lions (7, 6)

Average is 8.75 Total and 6.17 Own. Look at Seattle, way lower than everyone. Pittsburgh and Houston have a high total and keep most around. Atlanta has a lot too. New England is average (and also forfeited their last #1 for deflategate, so they'd likely have 1 more). But it's a team sport truly, so greater talent doesn't necessarily equal championships.

Insomniac
02-12-17, 11:40 AM
Grumbles....I am officially moving the Pats to #1 on the most disliked list past the 9ers...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18670800/new-england-patriots-file-blitz-six-trademark

:gomer:

I know, striving to win is terrible. ;)

dando
02-12-17, 08:36 PM
I know, striving to win is terrible. ;)

Get off my lawn... :gomer: ;)

Srsly, what do they do if they trade Garapalo and Brady starts to tank? He showed some chinks in the armor this season (despite his four-game vacation), and if it wasn't for Shanny's stupidity and Edz miracle catch.... If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...but you just don't pluck starting QBs off the tree. See Browns, Cleveland.

nrc
02-12-17, 09:08 PM
Dude, I had my 6-pack (unopened) of Who Dey from '88/'89 until a recent move. :(

:gomer: ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE5VB_EY7dY

dando
02-12-17, 11:02 PM
Bills taking out the 12 gauge on the Pats, etc.?

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/report-cardale-jones-start-bills-next-season

Interesting...

Also, Inso...despite disliking you :gomer: MMQB has a podcast with Brady this week.

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 9m9 minutes ago
More
I interviewed Tom Brady in Montana today. Two-part series beginning in the morning in MMQB. Two-part podcast too (Tues-Thurs).

Insomniac
02-13-17, 10:56 AM
Get off my lawn... :gomer: ;)

Srsly, what do they do if they trade Garapalo and Brady starts to tank? He showed some chinks in the armor this season (despite his four-game vacation), and if it wasn't for Shanny's stupidity and Edz miracle catch.... If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...but you just don't pluck starting QBs off the tree. See Browns, Cleveland.

What chinks? I know he had 4 less games. But he's played every game except when his ACL was torn opening day in 2008. He had the leg/knee injury that reduced some of his practice time for a stretch, but he took a pretty good hit on it. But mechanically he is sound. He can make all the throws. During the Super Bowl, they switched from throwing inside the numbers to outside the numbers (that was as much a part of the comeback as the Atlanta defense tiring) and he made those throws. Wounded ducks would've been picked off. His regular season stats extrapolated to 16 games would be similar to Matt Ryan's, but I'd argue they'd be better with the nicer New England weather for the 3 home games he missed.

Last aside, Edelman's catch was on 1st and 10. They would've been OK if it was incomplete (intercepted, not so much).

So on the plan. Belichick already has said they'd never be as irresponsible as the Colts.

I think organizationally, in our organization I don’t think we would put together a team the way Indianapolis did it when they lost Manning and they go 0-16, 1-15 or whatever it was. I don’t think that’s really what we’re looking for. Unfortunately when we lost Tom (Brady) in 2008 — we had a player that could step in and we won 11 games. We want to be competitive even if something happens to a player at any position. I think depth is always important. You never know when you’re going to need it. But I don’t think we’d be happy going 1-15 if we had an injury at one position. But other people have different philosophies. I’m just saying that the contrast to that example. I don’t think that’s really what we’re trying to do.

Tossing in a dig there at the Colts. But he wouldn't trade Garoppolo unless he believed Jacoby Brissett could be an effective backup. I think they really like him. He played a smart game for them versus Houston and played against the Bills with a thumb injury that required surgery. They brought him back from IR later in the season to be inactive the rest of the season so he could practice.

Insomniac
02-13-17, 11:08 AM
Bills taking out the 12 gauge on the Pats, etc.?

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/report-cardale-jones-start-bills-next-season

Interesting...

Also, Inso...despite disliking you :gomer: MMQB has a podcast with Brady this week.

Thanks for the heads up!

Who runs that team? Whaley is deciding on the starting QB? They have a new HC and OC. Whaley was clueless in his press conference. He has the Pegulas and Russ Brandon leaving him out of meetings. They fired the only guy who had some success. I honestly don't know why it's so hard to be a GM. Look at your division, what do you need to be king? In the AFC East, it's take down the Patriots. Hire a HC/OC/DC and get players they need to beat them. Then look bigger picture across the AFC contenders and beating them. If the coaches can't tell scouts what they need, you need new coaches because it's useless to blame the GM if they're getting you what you're asking for in a player (and why would they do anything else? If they do, fire the GM/scouts).

Ultimately, the best hires are a GM that is effective in getting their team to identify the players that the coaches need for their system. The best coaches are the ones who can adapt their scheme to their personnel's strengths. Then they work toward what they really want incrementally through 2-3 seasons. It should be a well oiled machine by that point.

SteveH
02-13-17, 12:31 PM
Patriots a drunken mess in victory parade to end victory parades (http://nypost.com/2017/02/07/patriots-a-drunken-mess-in-victory-parade-to-end-victory-parades/)

:laugh:

dando
02-13-17, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

Who runs that team? Whaley is deciding on the starting QB? They have a new HC and OC. Whaley was clueless in his press conference. He has the Pegulas and Russ Brandon leaving him out of meetings. They fired the only guy who had some success. I honestly don't know why it's so hard to be a GM. Look at your division, what do you need to be king? In the AFC East, it's take down the Patriots. Hire a HC/OC/DC and get players they need to beat them. Then look bigger picture across the AFC contenders and beating them. If the coaches can't tell scouts what they need, you need new coaches because it's useless to blame the GM if they're getting you what you're asking for in a player (and why would they do anything else? If they do, fire the GM/scouts).

Ultimately, the best hires are a GM that is effective in getting their team to identify the players that the coaches need for their system. The best coaches are the ones who can adapt their scheme to their personnel's strengths. Then they work toward what they really want incrementally through 2-3 seasons. It should be a well oiled machine by that point.

Whaley is as clueless as Mike Brown as a GM. :saywhat: He is screwed with that Taylor contract and knows it. He's pretty in Save My Ass mode. :shakehead: Cardale can be good, but I think he's another pre-season and another season of practice reps away. He was screwed with the '15 debacle that was tOSU's O after Hermann departed (which also showed last season). In '15 against Sparty, at home, you have Zeke and you run him 4 times in the second half?!? :saywhat: :irked: :mad: Hence why Urban revamped the O staff this off-season.

Insomniac
02-13-17, 12:50 PM
Whaley is as clueless as Mike Brown as a GM. :saywhat: He is screwed with that Taylor contract and knows it. He's pretty in Save My Ass mode. :shakehead: Cardale can be good, but I think he's another pre-season and another season of practice reps away. He was screwed with the '15 debacle that was tOSU's O after Hermann departed (which also showed last season). In '15 against Sparty, at home, you have Zeke and you run him 4 times in the second half?!? :saywhat: :irked: :mad: Hence why Urban revamped the O staff this off-season.

They can be done with Taylor in a month with just $3M in dead money. I'd just expect that decision to be made more by the HC/OC than the GM before setting out on the QB carousel.

dando
02-13-17, 12:55 PM
What chinks?

I point to games where he played real Ds like Denver and Texans, and for the most part @lanta...as opposed to 6 games versus Jets (tho surprisingly 11th in overall D, but they tanked late), Bills, and Fish. I still scratch my head that he ended up with 466 yards in the SB. :eek: Keep in mind they had one of, if not the easiest, schedules last season (AFC East, Clowns, Bingles, 9ers, Lambs).

Insomniac
02-13-17, 01:58 PM
I point to games where he played real Ds like Denver and Texans, and for the most part @lanta...as opposed to 6 games versus Jets (tho surprisingly 11th in overall D, but they tanked late), Bills, and Fish. I still scratch my head that he ended up with 466 yards in the SB. :eek: Keep in mind they had one of, if not the easiest, schedules last season (AFC East, Clowns, Bingles, 9ers, Lambs).

I'll point out a few things.

1. You're nit-picking :)
2. He went 14-1 last season and beat those real defenses (lost to Seattle by not converting in the red zone on the last drive, you'd think NE would know to run on goal to go :D)
3. Any QB who is getting beat up is going to have a rough day. Brady consistently has amongst the leagues lowest snap to pass times so he isn't just holding the ball too long.
4. 466 yards shouldn't be a big surprise. They had almost 200 yards passing in the first half, just very little points to show for it.
5. Can only play who's on your schedule, but they beat (Den, Ari (JG), Bal, Hou 2x (JB, TB), Pit 2x)
6. You have to give the other teams credit for getting to him
7. If this is Brady with chinks, who would you rather have? Any throw Garoppolo can make Brady can as well. Brady has a much higher mental acumen for the game. The concern is will he just lose the ability to throw suddenly and when or is he an injury risk?

Will the Patriots be able to find him his Terrell Davis to end his career?

dando
02-13-17, 02:56 PM
I'll point out a few things.

1. You're nit-picking :)

Will the Patriots be able to find him his Terrell Davis to end his career?

No, I'm Pats hating. :p

They could have if they had traded up for Zeke. He's Eddie George redux. :thumbup: But they'll likely scrounge for an 8th round pick... :gomer:

Insomniac
02-13-17, 04:17 PM
No, I'm Pats hating. :p

They could have if they had traded up for Zeke. He's Eddie George redux. :thumbup: But they'll likely scrounge for an 8th round pick... :gomer:

I don't think if they traded their whole 2016 draft they could've made it up to 4th. Even this year, they could get to the middle of round #1. I say throw caution to the wind. Just draft o-line and RB the whole time. :D Somewhere in that mess the o-line should be better and there should be a workhorse RB. (And this is how you get fired as a GM.)

nrc
02-13-17, 04:28 PM
We'll trade you Jeremy Hill. He has mastered "look out" blocks, dancing in the backfield, fumbling at critical moments, and taking tackles for loss. But maybe a change of scenery will be just what he needs and he'll be the next Corey Dillon.

dando
02-13-17, 05:30 PM
We'll trade you Jeremy Hill. He has mastered "look out" blocks, dancing in the backfield, fumbling at critical moments, and taking tackles for loss. But maybe a change of scenery will be just what he needs and he'll be the next Corey Dillon.

I think those are called 'ole' blocks and he's auditioning for Dancing With The Stars. :saywhat: :irked:

Insomniac
02-13-17, 05:55 PM

We're trying to keep Brady alive! We had a dancer, Laurence Maroney. So-so and that was about it. My criteria as faux GM is do I want them on my fantasy team? He did beat out law firm though. But seriously, I think that's one thing NE has no real trouble finding. The RB who can also do the catching. They need a true RB to replace Blount. Just a guy you know is going to run and you're going to have a hard time stopping him. I know they don't grow on trees, but one can dream. The Kraft's are very anti-domestic violence, but is AD washed up? Maybe Latavius Murray. Not sure anyone can trust Eddie Lacy (Alabama/Saban connection).

On the draft side:
Alvin Kamara, Tennessee or D'Onta Foreman, Texas (too big?) maybe. Joe Mixon is out with the domestic violence issue.

dando
02-14-17, 03:16 PM
Inso, FYI...

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing 43m43 minutes ago
More
Peter King Retweeted Jeff Fuller
For all who want to listen to Part 1 of the Tom Brady podcast NOT in iTunes, here’s the link:
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/13/themmqb-podcast-peter-king-tom-brady-talks-super-bowl-51-comeback-julian-edelman-bill-belichick …