PDA

View Full Version : Varsha or Diffey

Gopeddle
08-28-16, 03:27 PM
As far as I'm concerned Diffey can stay home. It was good to hear "Turn up the volume" Bob Varsha back on F1.

WickerBill
08-28-16, 04:29 PM
I prefer Diffey's eagerness to Varsha's smugness... but he was toned down today and he wasn't half bad.

Insomniac
08-28-16, 10:00 PM
I kinda hoped they'd go without an announcer. I think there must be better than both. Varsha was a change, but when he was the guy, it was nice to get Diffey. I'd still go with Diffey, but could they just stop with the Verstappen worship?

gerhard911
08-28-16, 10:39 PM
Motormouth Diffey is the absolute worst announcer ever. I know a lot of folks have a problem with Bob V. but he is infinitely better IMO. Diffey makes me hit the mute many times every broadcast. :yuck:

Elmo T
08-29-16, 07:03 AM
Varsha > Diffey > Cheever (he may not have been in the mix but just in case NBC thought it was a good idea)

WickerBill
08-29-16, 08:29 AM
Must be honest, saw Varsha throw some subtle shade at 16th and Georgetown on Twitter a month or two ago and it helped me tolerate him more during the race yesterday. :)

cameraman
08-29-16, 09:29 AM
Find a torrent of the SkyF1 coverage and watch the race correctly.

SteveH
08-29-16, 10:40 AM
Varsha > Diffey >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cheever (he may not have been in the mix but just in case NBC thought it was a good idea)

And I'm being generous.

G.
08-29-16, 01:10 PM
Varsha >>> Diffey > TV off > reruns of Gilligan's Island (in B&W) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cheever (he may not have been in the mix but just in case NBC thought it was a good idea)

Gnam
08-29-16, 02:33 PM
Varsha was always a Schumacher fanboy and was quick to minimize any unfavorable F1 news.

However, he was part of a great booth team with Hobbs and Matchett. And, he and Tommy Kendall are another good team.
That can't just be a coincidence.

WickerBill
08-29-16, 04:35 PM
Matchett has gone way, way downhill over the last 2-3 years. Insanely repetitive, misses events on the track that are obvious, and lingers far too long on his time in the pits.

nissan gtp
08-29-16, 05:38 PM
Varsha > Diffey > Cheever (he may not have been in the mix but just in case NBC thought it was a good idea)

Varsha > Diffey > the sound of a flushing toilet > Cheever

stroker
08-29-16, 08:34 PM
Varsha would occasionally (and progressively more frequently over time) drop a clanger but I never, ever, not ONCE thought Diffey was worth a damn as an announcer.

JohnHKart
09-02-16, 01:57 AM
Varsha for sure. Too bad our F1 telecast can't be like NASCAR, where there are guys in the booth FRESH out of the car and pit wall - Gordon and Letarte. Hobbs and Matchett are beyond obsolete.

Mary
09-02-16, 01:27 PM
Loved Varsha for a long time in both F1 & CART, but I near the end of his F1 run he started to grate at my nerves a tick. However, be careful what you wish for. Diffey took nerve grating to a new level. But, I've gotten used to him now. When I turned on the Belgian GP last week, I didn't know who that was announcing. I didn't watch any qualifying or pre-race; turned it on a few minutes before lights out. Couldn't place the voice. After about 10 minutes I realized it was Varsha (a little googling to find out what happened to Diffey helped).

Hearing Varsha again with the crew took me back to a younger time but in all honesty, I don't really care who announces this as long as they don't foist someone like Cheever or some other IRL-shill on us.

Mary

Insomniac
09-02-16, 06:03 PM
Loved Varsha for a long time in both F1 & CART, but I near the end of his F1 run he started to grate at my nerves a tick. However, be careful what you wish for. Diffey took nerve grating to a new level. But, I've gotten used to him now. When I turned on the Belgian GP last week, I didn't know who that was announcing. I didn't watch any qualifying or pre-race; turned it on a few minutes before lights out. Couldn't place the voice. After about 10 minutes I realized it was Varsha (a little googling to find out what happened to Diffey helped).

Hearing Varsha again with the crew took me back to a younger time but in all honesty, I don't really care who announces this as long as they don't foist someone like Cheever or some other IRL-shill on us.

Mary

Varsha showed up only for race day. It was just Matchett and Hobbs the rest of the time (I'm fairly certain, I only watched Qualifying).

WickerBill
09-02-16, 09:57 PM
Correct. And today we had Brian Till and hello.... he was pretty darn good....

Methinks Diffey got the zika.

SteveH
09-02-16, 10:13 PM
Diverticulosis

gerhard911
09-02-16, 10:45 PM

I agree about Brian. Even when he pimped the ICS he was way less annoying than Diffey. Don't wish Leigh any ill medical issues but he needs to be looking for a new job.

WickerBill
09-02-16, 10:48 PM
Diverticulosis

Yuck. I wouldn't even wish that on Bob Jenkins.

opinionated ow
09-03-16, 01:28 AM
I've watched a fair bit of US racing the last few months now that I have unlimited internet. You've actually got a whole bunch of really good commentators: Brian Till, Dorsey Schroeder, Rick Benjamin, Townsend Bell, Greg Creamer, Calvin Fish, Justin Bell, Jim Roller, Shea Adam, Jeremy Shaw etc. It makes the Australian contingent look pathetic.

Gnam
09-03-16, 02:36 AM
I find Jamie Howe to be a very professional pit reporter. I've never heard her ask anyone, "How are you feeling?"

https://s15.postimg.org/tkxd05gh7/20110317_AJM_1703.jpg

Insomniac
09-04-16, 05:18 PM

Odd thing was Diffey was covering the Rugby right after qualifying and jumped out of the last few minutes of F1 Extra for Brian Till to cover Rugby. I also liked Brian Till.

Dave99
09-10-16, 11:04 AM
It was so nice to hear Bob Varsha on the F1 broadcast again. Imo he really is in a class by himself. It's a damn shame it was for only one race. I agree that Brian Till was also very capable in the lead chair. He really surprised me.

Subjecting an Australian on the American F1 viewing audience makes no sense to me -- especially considering the other three members of the broadcast team already talk funny. If Diffey were reassigned to the soccer booth full-time, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

But of the many things that irritate me about Diffey, the worst is the beginning of the race just before the lights go out, and then the end of the race when the leader crosses the finish line. No one should be that excited. Ever. Whoever stocks the studio's break room should secretly switch his name brand coffee for Sanka or Brim.

So, yes... Bob Varsha over Diffey. By far. In fact, Milli Vanilli over Diffey.

cameraman
09-15-16, 04:59 PM
Wonder what's up with Will Buxton. They got James Allen to cover for him at the last second at the Singapore race and Daniel Ricciardo & Lewis Hamilton have 'sent their best'.

:(

SteveH
09-16-16, 04:17 AM
Wonder what's up with Will Buxton. They got James Allen to cover for him at the last second at the Singapore race and Daniel Ricciardo & Lewis Hamilton have 'sent their best'.

:(

Could he be covering Sonoma?

WickerBill
09-16-16, 09:31 AM
No Diffey for FP2. Brian Till.

Buxton's father passed away.

Insomniac
10-02-16, 05:04 PM
I thought Townsend Bell did a good job. He brought something to the broadcast with the technical information. Also note to NBCSN, start the grid walk earlier! The drivers are always gone for the anthem.

cameraman
10-02-16, 05:51 PM
I don't know what camera angle those mooks were watching but the damned lights were exactly where they always are:saywhat::irked::shakehead:

WickerBill
10-03-16, 06:59 AM
I don't know what camera angle those mooks were watching but the damned lights were exactly where they always are:saywhat::irked::shakehead:

Typical Matchett hysterics over nothing. Drives me insane.

gjc2
10-03-16, 08:01 AM
Typical Matchett hysterics over nothing. Drives me insane.

The lights visible when looking at the cars head on didn’t work properly. The lights the drivers saw did work. I would have assumed that what was happening on one side was also happening on the other. Apparently not, I thought it was an aborted also.

opinionated ow
10-03-16, 08:52 AM
The lights visible when looking at the cars head on didn’t work properly. The lights the drivers saw did work. I would have assumed that what was happening on one side was also happening on the other. Apparently not, I thought it was an aborted also.

For what it's worth, David Coulthard & Ben Edwards thought that too.

SteveH
10-03-16, 09:18 AM

I couldn't tell what happened. Of course, I was just as interested in the commentary (who were completely out to lunch) as the video. So with the verbal cues and the lack of seeing the lights I too thought it was aborted. It took a while for me to figure out what had occurred. Very strange.

Insomniac
10-03-16, 11:11 AM
To me, even if they didn't match the other side, they still worked. They acted like they weren't visible or on to begin with. They certainly weren't ever blinking to abort. If anything, they turned off immediately after all 5 were lit up, which would still be the start. The delay after all 5 light up is never the same to ensure no one can time the start, but instead reacts to the lights.