PDA

View Full Version : Carl Haas, 1930-2016

rabbit
07-07-16, 01:46 PM
I was just wondering about him last week, if he was still alive. :(

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/u-s-racing-legend-carl-haas-dies-aged-86-796459/

pfc_m_drake
07-07-16, 01:55 PM
Just heard about it myself :( RIP

Ironically, Newman/Haas was never one of my favorite teams during the 'glory' years, but in hindsight I have nothing but complete admiration and respect for (what was) the entire organization, and what Paul and Carl were able to bring to the sport. We tend to throw terms like 'iconic' and 'legendary' around sometimes when it's not appropriate to do so, but in this case I'm not sure the words do justice.

rabbit
07-07-16, 02:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCZdjk-q7uY

cameraman
07-07-16, 02:27 PM
I was just wondering about him last week, if he was still alive. :(

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/u-s-racing-legend-carl-haas-dies-aged-86-796459/

He had a rather severe case of Alzheimer's so he hasn't been visible for several years now.

rabbit
07-07-16, 02:41 PM
He had a rather severe case of Alzheimer's so he hasn't been visible for several years now.
Yeah, I knew he hadn't been doing well, but hadn't heard anything new for some time. Oddly enough, I looked at my search history and I had Googled him on the 27th, two days before his death, to see if there was anything on how he was doing...

SteveH
07-07-16, 02:45 PM
An icon, no doubt.

RIP Mr. Haas

dando
07-07-16, 03:06 PM
Sad day, race fans. :(

I literally ran into him...or him into me...when I was in the paddock at M-O and he was on a scooter. He almost ran me over. :) I was taking pics and turned around to head back to the Esses for quals, and there he was. :eek:

pfc_m_drake
07-07-16, 03:36 PM
Sad day, race fans. :(

I literally ran into him...or him into me...when I was in the paddock at M-O and he was on a scooter. He almost ran me over. :) I was taking pics and turned around to head back to the Esses for quals, and there he was. :eek:One of the 'rites of passage' of being a CART fan was whether or not your had nearly been killed in the paddock at M-O by a member of the Newman/Haas team on a scooter.

Michael Andretti *almost* did bodily harm to me on 2 separate occasions (we made physical contact but no-harm/no-foul as it were...he had great reflexes!). I guess I qualify as a real fan :) Great memories on a sad day.

Gnam
07-07-16, 04:12 PM
Fond memories of Newman/Haas Racing. They weren't always my favorite, but they were always professional.
Haas definitely made the sport better.

What was with the cigar? Did he ever smoke it, or just chew it?

dando
07-07-16, 04:59 PM
What was with the cigar? Did he ever smoke it, or just chew it?

Mostly chewed from what I saw at M-O.

Pilgrims Drop
07-07-16, 05:38 PM
Will always remember him talking to the cars before the races... RIP

chop456
07-08-16, 03:01 AM
An icon, no doubt.

RIP Mr. Haas

This.

opinionated ow
07-08-16, 06:02 AM
So sad to hear. One by one our icons are passing. Fortunately we have our memories and youtube helps with the videos.

RIP Mr Haas, thank you for everything you did for this sport.

nrc
07-08-16, 09:57 AM
Sad to hear. He helped to create that brief moment in history where Champ car was really everything that you could wish for in motorsports.

RIP

rabbit
07-08-16, 10:05 AM
The fun starts at the 1:10 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7wvKxCZDus

Napoleon
07-08-16, 02:26 PM
RIP Carl

N-H was probably my favorite team, from a team owners standpoint.

RTKar
09-02-16, 11:36 AM
RIP Carl

N-H was probably my favorite team, from a team owners standpoint.

Same here, along with Bettenhausen, more or less my local team. Although they kept Mario around too long, they fought the good fight against Penske, the "Evil Empire". Later Ganassi overtook them as a power team becoming the cool kids in the paddock but how could you root against PLN and Haas's passion for CART and what it stood for in it's hey day?

Gangrel
09-22-16, 04:07 PM
RIP Carl -

Very sad to hear this. A few years back, I worked across the parking lot from their office. A friend of mine had a number of old pics he thought might bring a smile to Carl's face. I rang the doorbell and handed them off to one of the staff. The staffer told me he would pass them along, but also let me know that he had advanced Alzheimer's. That was the first I had heard about it.

Still, a life well lived...

jimclark
05-14-19, 02:52 AM
Sad to hear. He helped to create that brief moment in history where Champ car was really everything that you could wish for in motorsports.

RIP

Heck, that "brief moment in history where Champ car was really everything that you could wish for in motorsports."?

That's it???

More like many great YEARS of motorsports in the U.S., importing a gazillion Lolas...formula cars and sport racers.....and running teams (Carl A. Haas Motorsports) long before being noted for N-H.....;)

edit: A brief racing bio... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Haas