PDA

View Full Version : Lauda & co on the 'DNA of F1'

opinionated ow
06-28-16, 10:00 AM
“If you go too far with these things, it’s no wonder that fewer people are watching these days. I think – in a very respectful way – that the DNA of Formula 1 should be maintained, and we’re slowly going to destroy it if we keep on inventing what are – for me – too many safety issues.

“Because of improvements in the cars and tracks, Formula 1 has never been as safe as it is today, so now the question for me is how far can we go on safety issues without losing the interest of the people? If someone says he wants to make $40m a year, with an easy car to drive, and no risk, this is not reality…”

Worth a read
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/lauda-dna-f1-should-be-maintained

Insomniac
06-28-16, 10:57 AM
Does a lack of run-off make the racing any more competitive? That's what I want to see.

cameraman
06-28-16, 03:18 PM
Tracks with no runoff inhibit racing because you don't make moves in Monaco that will send you into the armco if you don't get it done. If the worst that will happen is you get sent off onto a giant tarmac area and lose some time then there is a greater chance that the driver will go for it. The problem with the sand/gravel traps of the past is in a post-Bianchi world you will have a virtual safety car every time someone beaches a car. That used to be a lot of each race running under yellow.

WickerBill
06-28-16, 03:21 PM
Sounds like an old man blathering about the past to me. I do not wish to watch people die. Safety is good.

nissan gtp
06-28-16, 03:24 PM
Sounds like an old man blathering about the past to me. I do not wish to watch people die. Safety is good.

the first part is ironic here, given our "name" discussion :D

as to safety, yes

Hard Driver
06-30-16, 09:43 PM

Well said... now tell me how great it was when cars didn't have seat belts.