PDA

View Full Version : For your consideration

nrc
06-24-16, 07:26 PM

Thoughts?

Gnam
06-24-16, 07:54 PM
It's only been 8 years. Maybe keep it for an even 10? ;)

TravelGal
06-25-16, 07:06 AM
What made you suggest it? Would more people read/post? What happens if some troll wanders in? I'm okay with whatever you decide but just wondering.....

WickerBill
06-25-16, 07:10 AM
Eight years? We're coming up on 14!

Looks good to me

Insomniac
06-25-16, 01:43 PM
I'd say leave it. It does define our community even though ChampCar is gone.

I'd add:

New Members and total posts in...
2016: 1 (0)
2015: 1 (0)
2014: 3 (0)
2013: 2 (0)
2012: 7 (85)

nrc
06-26-16, 02:55 AM
I'm just thinking about where the forum goes from here. While I don't have any particular ambitions for it to become anything more than it is, I'm sad to see activity continue on a slow decline. New registrations are a real rarity these days (as Insomniac's numbers show). I worry sometimes that we'll reach a tipping point and things will get very quiet.

We really don't have anything driving traffic here these days other than the odd search result. It occurred to me that someone who found the discussions here of interest might be more apt to join in if we didn't brand ourselves as exclusively.

nissan gtp
06-26-16, 11:02 AM
we could talk about current racing.

stroker
06-26-16, 11:17 AM

What we need is some sort of organized discussion of what type of racing we'd like to watch. From what I'm seeing, Indycar's corpse is still rotting and likely to end up as a zombie until the George family give it the brain shot. F1 is withering on the vine due to leadership vacuum. Endurance racing seems to be doing okay but is butting up against excessive costs/limited marketability. The ladder classes are all spec.

Insomniac
06-26-16, 12:05 PM
How about a strikethrough on champcar?

SteveH
06-26-16, 12:20 PM
I like our Champ Car heritage. I hope we can continue to recognize and honor that.

To our dying day ;)

WickerBill
06-26-16, 12:49 PM
"created for the ChampCar enthusiast - open to all (except TrackForum members)"

nissan gtp
06-26-16, 01:48 PM
I like our Champ Car heritage. I hope we can continue to recognize and honor that.

To our dying day ;)

sure, but that doesn't preclude watching/discussing today's racing, even #heresy Indycar

indyfan31
06-27-16, 10:31 AM
I realize it's like writing "Airlines" on the side of an airplane, but is there some reason you chose not to include the words "racing" or "motorsports"in the subtitle? :\

rabbit
06-27-16, 11:37 AM
How are forums/message boards across the board doing? It seems in the days of social media, where anyone in a matter of minutes can set up a Facebook page or group, they seem to be a dying breed. Maybe I'm wrong. But I bet if I asked my 16-year-old daughter if she knew what a "message board" was, she probably wouldn't have any idea.

How about, "Forums for the Pure Racing Enthusiast."?

datachicane
06-27-16, 01:35 PM

rabbit
06-27-16, 01:45 PM

This. :thumbup:

nissan gtp
06-27-16, 03:23 PM
How are forums/message boards across the board doing? It seems in the days of social media, where anyone in a matter of minutes can set up a Facebook page or group, they seem to be a dying breed. Maybe I'm wrong. But I bet if I asked my 16-year-old daughter if she knew what a "message board" was, she probably wouldn't have any idea.

How about, "Forums for the Pure Racing Enthusiast."?

I think FB has taken over message boards for lots of people -- esp old ones like most of us. :D. It doesn't have the close community feeling though.

So, maybe "Forums for old racing fans". :p

dando
06-27-16, 04:14 PM
I think FB has taken over message boards for lots of people -- esp old ones like most of us. :D. It doesn't have the close community feeling though.

So, maybe "Forums for old racing fans". :p

Forums for old racing farts? :tony: Having been with CompuServe/AOL for over 20 years...forums have been in serious decline the past decade+. :( CompuServe created forums (SIGs) back in the late '80s, but damn it was so expensive. :(

Gnam
06-27-16, 05:33 PM
ye olde motorsport talk shoppe for ye olde motorsport enthusiast

TravelGal
06-29-16, 03:07 PM
First of all, I love the smock, smock, smock idea though I don't know how well it will play in the search engines. Might bring in some interesting folks who actually get it. I'd like to see Champcar stay but maybe "Champcar racing enthusiast" to help along those who don't know what Champcar is. :tony: Overall, I think there could be more discussions and participating if the categories of posts were "reimagined." These were set in the days when you had to be quite severe about cutting off ChampCar discussion and limiting IRL discussion. Anyone new who clicks on the Forums now, really has no idea what types of racing or specific series are covered.

I'd also love to see some of the "old" folks back. I noticed Muskoka fan a few days ago. There's a familiar name that's still a rookie (unless posting under another name). And, of course, there are some that were thrown out after being deemed not worthy to post here like Brandi Latimer, the Face of Champcar, and Vivienne Tracy, ptsmom. It would be nice to see some of those folks back as well. Can you send a "welcome back" notice to their email on file?

nrc
07-01-16, 11:58 PM
I certainly don't want to disappoint anyone here by appearing to distance ourselves from our Champcar raison d'etre. I was just contemplating the laziest way to put on a more welcoming face for those who don't know or care about our our #NeverGeorge origins. I feel we're a bit like a motel with "Color TV" on the sign these days. We can always educate people about the brief, but glorious Color TV era once they get here.

No changes for now but I may eventually put datachicane's "Smock smock smock" up there. I think "What the heck does that mean?" is probably a better response than "I don't know what a champcar is but I don't think it's me."

WickerBill
07-02-16, 07:37 AM
Excuse me...

www.offcamber.net

While it is saying "Taking you to the forums", please pay special attention to the page title. :D Been there forever!

nrc
07-02-16, 12:57 PM
Excuse me...

www.offcamber.net

While it is saying "Taking you to the forums", please pay special attention to the page title. :D Been there forever!

Sorry, of course. I just meant that datachicane made the image above of the logo graphic with that long standing bit of whimsy included.

dando
07-02-16, 01:04 PM
nrc, perhaps do some seeding on the ChampCar/CART FB group? I follow them, and it's a fairly active group. Just a thought.

nrc
07-03-16, 12:36 AM
nrc, perhaps do some seeding on the ChampCar/CART FB group? I follow them, and it's a fairly active group. Just a thought.

Maybe a good idea except that I don't use Facebook. It's a "you kids get out of my yard" kind of thing.

dando
07-03-16, 01:17 AM
Maybe a good idea except that I don't use Facebook. It's a "you kids get out of my yard" kind of thing.

I kinda have to, just to keep ahead of the kiddos. :\ There is a ton of stuff moving online now, especially in Dublin, where they are Skyping project conferences with other schools IN THE 4TH GRADE. Oy. Of course, I am guilty as charged since I started them with limited Interweb access at 2 and created their GMail accounts just after they were hatched. :gomer: :saywhat:

RaceGrrl
07-12-16, 09:27 AM
I have a Facebook page and can promote OC there, but I think any kind of FB group there will kill this forum dead.

nissan gtp
07-12-16, 04:44 PM

FB isn't for kids anymore. It's worth jumping in for the multitude of historic racing groups, many with original participants.

Don't know what you can see of this, it's a group for the Electromotive Nissans:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1692799270987358/?ref=bookmarks

nissan gtp
07-12-16, 04:46 PM
I have a Facebook page and can promote OC there, but I think any kind of FB group there will kill this forum dead.

an OC Facebook group is a good idea

nrc
07-12-16, 11:04 PM
FB isn't for kids anymore. It's worth jumping in for the multitude of historic racing groups, many with original participants.

Don't know what you can see of this, it's a group for the Electromotive Nissans:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1692799270987358/?ref=bookmarks

I was being flip. It's really because I hate Facebook and the way they monetize people's content. Case in point, I can't even see the page you linked unless I sign up. Even if it were public it would be half covered by a login nag.

I don't imagine that many folks outside my small circle of family and friends care much what I think or say. I appreciate you folks here playing along. :) But I'm never going to sign on to Zuckerberg's terms and conditions so he can turn my largely worthless opinions into mico-pennies to add to his pile. #NeverFacebook

This admittedly makes me a terrible marketing person so maybe that's our real problem.

Gnam
07-13-16, 03:07 AM
I was being flip. It's really because I hate Facebook and the way they monetize people's content. Case in point, I can't even see the page you linked unless I sign up. Even if it were public it would be half covered by a login nag.

I don't imagine that many folks outside my small circle of family and friends care much what I think or say. I appreciate you folks here playing along. :) But I'm never going to sign on to Zuckerberg's terms and conditions so he can turn my largely worthless opinions into mico-pennies to add to his pile. #NeverFacebook

This admittedly makes me a terrible marketing person so maybe that's our real problem.
nrc for President. :thumbup:

dando
07-13-16, 03:42 AM
I keep up with a bunch of former colleagues, friends, some family that have dispersed across the country on FB, and some across the world. Left coast, Austin, FL, etc. My point was that there is an active CART/CCWS group that might be interested in adding to the discussion here. Just a note to say that there is a good board here to discuss all things racing, and a few oddball topics or three. :) FB, Twitter, etc. is what you make of it, and be vigilant. :)

TravelGal
07-20-16, 02:10 AM

I don't pay anything and I don't buy anything. I did give an email address (a nearly abandoned one) and an incorrect birthday. Ads (and any other clutter you don't want) are gone when you use Facebook Purity, which is also free unless you choose to make a donation. For the OTHERS, I highly recommend it. :)

RTKar
09-02-16, 11:46 AM

And hope for resurrection