PDA

View Full Version : Reddit

WickerBill
06-19-16, 08:15 AM
I really want to like Reddit. Like-minded people on nearly any topic, intelligent to sublime to ridiculous.

But how does one navigate Reddit? I've tried a few times (PC and browser, Narwahl on iPhone) and I can't get past one thing - my brain works chronologically. So when I go to an F1 subreddit to see what others are saying about a race, it's a terrible jumbled mess of up voted content all out of context.

Admittedly I get frustrated very quickly and give up.

Is there a better way?

dando
06-19-16, 11:56 AM
Admittedly I've only dabbled with it since I monitor social networking sites, but it's simply a mess from a UI standpoint. :saywhat: :irked: I get updates on my phone, and pop in and pop out quickly. Perhaps M$FT can buy it and fix it. :gomer: ;)

WickerBill
06-19-16, 12:30 PM
Probably worth $90b in Microsoft money.

Insomniac
06-19-16, 01:19 PM
You just kind of have to get started. New content does show up at or near the top in them. Moderators have some control over some of that as well. You get used to how it works and if you're active, it will feel more familiar than disorganized.

G.
06-19-16, 02:18 PM
You can sort by time.
At the top of a topic, just above the reply field, there is a pull-down for "sorted by:" There is a similar but different field on your front page, on the top subreddit page /r/formula1, as well as inside the topic.

Also, there are some add-ons that you pretty much need to have. In fact, they may be standard by now. It's been so long ago since I grabbed them, I forget the name. :gomer: It gives you sorting and saving options.

The bottom line is that reddit was formed to be a crowd-promoted tool, so it is designed to have the most up-voted comments up top.

opinionated ow
06-19-16, 07:45 PM
here i was thinking it was just another website for adult material :eek:

G.
06-20-16, 01:28 AM
here i was thinking it was just another website for adult material :eek:

Well, yeah. It's got a lot of that. Pretty much ALL of that.

But if you look beyond the default front page, and the nudie pages, there's a helluva lot of good stuff.

One of my faves is AskHistorians. It's a rabbit-hole that goes deep.