PDA

View Full Version : The Big Apple

Napoleon
06-09-16, 08:23 AM
I am going to spend 5 days in NYC at the same time "the Circus" (aka, the RNC) rolls into town here in Cleveland in order to avoid the chaos and pepper spray. Anyone have any suggestions of things to see or do, and I don’t mean the stuff you would think of automatically (Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Brooklyn Bridge, ect)?

dando
06-09-16, 09:46 AM
I am going to spend 5 days in NYC at the same time "the Circus" (aka, the RNC) rolls into town here in Cleveland in order to avoid the chaos and pepper spray. Anyone have any suggestions of things to see or do, and I don’t mean the stuff you would think of automatically (Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Brooklyn Bridge, ect)?

Depending on who's in town, NYY or Mets....hop a train to Boston to catch a game at Fenway. Lots to see and do in Midtown, and good grub. Of course there is Broadway, but $$$$. Coney Island as well...Nathan's (mmm, mmm good :) ). I've only been once, but there is lots to see and do. Of course there is Time Square, but I would avoid that dysfunction. :saywhat: I will say that learning the subway system is daunting. I stayed in Fort Lee NJ, and learning the subway system was hell.

opinionated ow
06-09-16, 09:54 AM
http://www.grandprix.com/jpeg/misc/nygp2-rg.jpg

dando
06-09-16, 09:56 AM
http://www.grandprix.com/jpeg/misc/nygp2-rg.jpg

Great race...much like Boston. :tony: :shakehead:

cameraman
06-09-16, 11:42 AM
Depending on your nerd level the American Museum of Natural History (West 77th at Central Park) is seriously cool.

Napoleon
06-09-16, 11:58 AM
Depending on who's in town, NYY or Mets....hop a train to Boston to catch a game at Fenway.

Why in God's name would I fly to NYC just to take a train to Boston? ;) Besides, I did Boston 4 or 5 years ago and managed to take in an Indian's game at Fenway (its amazing how easy it is to get a decent ticket when you are just buying one). I was thinking about maybe going to a game.

I have a room a few blocks south east of Madison Sq Gdn and plan to rely on walking and the subways (perhaps cabs to and from airports). I was, at least initially, really planning on staying on Manhatten other than a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (and a visit to Jane's Carousel (http://janescarousel.com/history/) which in a past life was located in the town I grew up in). If I took in a baseball game that would take me to the Bronx or Queens. I will try to get tickets to Colbert (already failed at Fallon) and will take in architecture (which I love). Will hit the Natural History Museum and Guggenheim (sp?) being that I am a Frank Lloyd Wright fan, and spend some time in Central Park. Currently that is much of what I have planned.

Napoleon
06-09-16, 12:01 PM
Depending on your nerd level the American Museum of Natural History (West 77th at Central Park) is seriously cool.

See what happens when I take 20 minutes to type something. The nerd is strong with Nappy, so that is on the short "must see" list for me. If I get to take a picture with Neil deGrasse Tyson that would be worth the airplane tickets alone.

TKGAngel
06-09-16, 01:06 PM

I don't blame you for avoiding the circus. I'm headed to MI for the start of that week and I usually drive thru the States to avoid border shenanigans, but I'll deal with the border rather than try and drive thru Cleveland. Its crazy enough to get thru without adding more people, cars and law enforcement to the mix.

If you're a Frank Lloyd Wright fan, the Museum of Modern Art is going to be running an FLW exhibit while you are there.

Napoleon
06-09-16, 01:46 PM
^^^^

Thanks TKGAngel ! I never would have thought to check for something like that and had pretty much decided to skip MoMA, which I will now have to reassess.

http://www.moma.org/calendar/exhibitions/1660?locale=en

PS, passing through Cleveland on the highway ought to be OK. You will just have to avoid downtown. Thank God I do not work downtown. Some offices are all but closing that week to keep their workers from having to deal with it (instead they are working remotely, etc)

dando
06-09-16, 03:35 PM
Why in God's name would I fly to NYC just to take a train to Boston? ;) Besides, I did Boston 4 or 5 years ago and managed to take in an Indian's game at Fenway (its amazing how easy it is to get a decent ticket when you are just buying one). I was thinking about maybe going to a game.

Hey I did dat shizz... ;) The train ride and Grand Central were worth the price of admission alone. And yes, I saw the Tribe in Fenway and caught my first ball off Sin Soo Choo in BP ~5 years ago. Off the warning track into the left field stands. Bounced off the warning track right to me. Went to the final weekend in The House That Ruth Built while S***** Field was being built. :) Took the Fenway tour when the Manny hate was happening in full force. :) MoMA is a def see. I did get to Ellis Island (where my great grandparents emigrated to after WWI, and have a brick there). Never saw Ground Zero, tho. :(

JoeBob
06-09-16, 03:39 PM

Here's my advice as a native New Yorker who hasn't lived there in almost 20 years, but gets back fairly often:

Don't waste your time waiting in line to go to the top of the Statue of Liberty. Seriously, its cramped and the view once you're up there isn't that great, and you can spend a couple of hours in line. The view of the statue from the Staten Island Ferry is free and great. There's not much on Liberty Island. Similarly, skip Ellis Island. the museum is beyond disappointing. Take pictures of that from a boat too. If you want to get the immigrant stories, go to the Tenement Museum. It requires an appointment and sells out, but is worth it. Also, the Lower East Side is a fantastic area. While you're down there hit up The Doughnut Plant, Kossar's Bialy's, have soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai in Chinatown, and have pizza at Lombardi's in Little Italy. That's my favorite NY eating tour, and also gives you a good feel for the true neighborhoods and diversity of NYC.

For more touristy stuff, if you've never done a TV studio/tv taping, do the NBC Studio tour. You'll see some famous studios and get a good look at how TV is made. If you can get tickets to a taping while you're in town, do that too. There's the Late Night shows, plus a bunch of talk shows (and some daytime crap) shot in NYC. The look behind the curtain you get at a taping is fascinating.

If you're into trains and busses, the New York Transit Museum is cool: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Transit_Museum

When I was a kid, I really liked the fire museum: http://www.nycfiremuseum.org/

The best thing to do is to get out of the tourist areas (Times Square) and into the neighborhoods.

Napoleon
06-09-16, 06:42 PM
JoeBob,

Thank you.

I had no intention of going to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Is and I may walk trough Times Square if it is on my way to and fro wherever I am going, but that is it. I will not be eating at Guy Fiery (sp?) dumpster fire of a restaurant or any of those other tourist traps. I really would like the idea of walking through regular neighborhoods and hitting regular restaurants (I hate chains). I had thought about the Tenement Museum.

I will try to hit at least 2 of the restaurants you mention.

Mark

gjc2
06-09-16, 07:50 PM
I’m a lifelong New Yorker (born in Brooklyn, lived in the suburbs since 1958) I’ve never been to the Statue of Liberty.

The Bronx Zoo is really great

Coney Island / Sheepshead Bay

Circle Line Tour: also never been.

I hear the new WTC tour is good; I don’t want to go for emotional reasons.

The line for the Empire State Building is long; I think they have an express elevator for 40 or 50 bucks.

The big department stores are worth a visit.

The Cloisters way uptown

There’s a rib place on 125th Street in Harlem called Dinosaur Bar-B-Que that looks cool, I think it’s a chain. I’ve never been.

Intrepid Museum

Madison Square Park / Union Square Park / Washington Square Park

Prospect Park in Brooklyn

SteveH
06-09-16, 09:38 PM
You have to be in Times Square to take advantage of this, heavily discounted same day tickets for Broadway shows. Show up early, wait in line, you may not get your first choice so be prepared for that possibility. We saw the Carol King musical, Beautiful. Tickets were 40% off. I would have loved it at 100%. It is an excellent show.

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths

Also highly recommend Yakitori Taisho in East Village if you like Japanese meat on a stick. Very small and very crowded. Go early

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yakitori-taisho-new-york

dando
06-10-16, 09:19 AM
I'll second Intrepid...tho I still disagree with the shuttle there and not in Houston. :saywhat: Seeing Atlantis in KSC was simply amazing. Lots of good grub off the beaten path.

gjc2
06-10-16, 07:11 PM
Speaking of food:

Juniors Restaurant, original location is in Brooklyn but there’s one in Times Square: the best cheesecake there is.

Great steak houses
Palm Too . . . Second Avenue & East 45th
Smith & Wollensky . . Third Avenue & East 49th

Italian pastries.
Pasticceria Rocco . . . 243 Bleecker Street . . . Have a sfogliatella and an espresso

Italian restaurant
Lupa Osteria Romana . . . . . 170 Thompson Street

TravelGal
06-11-16, 11:36 AM
I'm loving this thread and have copied just about all the recommendations. I also was born in Brooklyn. "By the tree" I used to say. Grew up about an hour away (at that time) in NJ so we would regularly go into the "the City" for an afternoon or evening and be back home before midnight. Fast forward to living in DC and flying to New York for meetings, I found it very busy and too hot in the summer. Fast forward a few more decades after traveling the world, I found it small, quaint and easily navigable. The biggest shock was how easy the subways are. They are air conditioned! They have LED crawls telling you which direction you are going and the name of the next stop. A far cry from the night I went under the East River by mistake because I got on a train going the wrong way.

TravelGuy grew up there through college so the city is in his blood. We went back a few years ago. Love the tour of the "new" Yankeee Stadium. Their museum is the best baseball museum I've seen. Needless to say, his being a Yankee fan made it better. ;) Did the Ellis Island thing because neither of us had ever been. Not nearly as disappointed as JoeBob was but it does take a lot of time for not much reward. Similarly, we loved being on Liberty Island but as JoeBob said, even to get into the base is often hours of waiting.

We found the exhibits and view from the top of Rockefeller Square quite fascinating. Coney Island not so much. Even on the train it takes a while to get there. Walking the boardwalk was nice but it probably suffered from comparison to memories of our youth. Nothing like a Nathan's from the original place though. It's been redone since Sandy and the fire in 2013.

When I'm booking NYC, even for myself, I always use www.nycvp.com Their hotel prices are better than travel agent rates. You already have your hotel but there is wealth of information there about activities and sightseeing. Links to museums, free concerts in Central Park, etc.

SteveH
06-11-16, 11:57 AM
Nappy, if you're in to photography visit B+H Photo. An amazing store with more equipment than you can imagine. Also has a great used equipment department. But check the hours if you go.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

dando
06-11-16, 02:04 PM
I'm loving this thread and have copied just about all the recommendations. I also was born in Brooklyn. "By the tree" I used to say. Grew up about an hour away (at that time) in NJ so we would regularly go into the "the City" for an afternoon or evening and be back home before midnight. Fast forward to living in DC and flying to New York for meetings, I found it very busy and too hot in the summer. Fast forward a few more decades after traveling the world, I found it small, quaint and easily navigable. The biggest shock was how easy the subways are. They are air conditioned! They have LED crawls telling you which direction you are going and the name of the next stop. A far cry from the night I went under the East River by mistake because I got on a train going the wrong way.

TravelGuy grew up there through college so the city is in his blood. We went back a few years ago. Love the tour of the "new" Yankeee Stadium. Their museum is the best baseball museum I've seen. Needless to say, his being a Yankee fan made it better. ;) Did the Ellis Island thing because neither of us had ever been. Not nearly as disappointed as JoeBob was but it does take a lot of time for not much reward. Similarly, we loved being on Liberty Island but as JoeBob said, even to get into the base is often hours of waiting.

We found the exhibits and view from the top of Rockefeller Square quite fascinating. Coney Island not so much. Even on the train it takes a while to get there. Walking the boardwalk was nice but it probably suffered from comparison to memories of our youth. Nothing like a Nathan's from the original place though. It's been redone since Sandy and the fire in 2013.

When I'm booking NYC, even for myself, I always use www.nycvp.com Their hotel prices are better than travel agent rates. You already have your hotel but there is wealth of information there about activities and sightseeing. Links to museums, free concerts in Central Park, etc.

But you're not a fan of The Bums? :gomer: ;)

Napoleon
06-11-16, 02:35 PM
B+H Photo.

I get their catalogue.

gjc2
06-11-16, 04:24 PM
go into the "the City"

We had a friend from the Arizona visiting, she said she wanted to go “down town” I said like the SoHo or the Village? She said she wanted to see Times Square: I explained how we use the term “into the city” then you can go downtown, midtown, etc.

On St Patrick’s Day last year I had to visit a client on 11th Avenue in the fifties. I exited Penn Station from the main entrance on Seventh Avenue, and walked north to get a cab on 34th. I was asked by a tourist, which way is Broadway, I pointed east and kept walking. I then thought he probably wanted to go to Times Square so I turned back and found him. He did, so I told him to continue uptown on Seventh. I told everybody I saw that day about what a great New Yorker I was.

SteveH
06-11-16, 08:15 PM
I get their catalogue.

Imagine everything in the catalogue being on display. That's how large this store is.

For everyone else, if you've seen the catalogue you'll know why this is impressive.

gjc2
06-12-16, 08:17 AM
Imagine everything in the catalogue being on display. That's how large this store is.

For everyone else, if you've seen the catalogue you'll know why this is impressive.

Comparing specs and reading reviews is good but there’s no substitute for actually touching and feeling a camera or lens. B&H really does have everything. There’s also Adorama on W18th and if you like vintage cameras check our Olden Camera on Broadway in the thirties.

Warning . . . NYC sales tax is 8 7/8%. Maybe they won’t have to collect tax if they ship the item.

JoeBob
06-14-16, 04:05 PM
The mention of department stores reminded me - go ride the escalators all the way to the top floor of Macy's Herald Square. The upper floors have completely wooden escalators. The clanking mechanical sound is amazing. Here's more about them: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/26/nyregion/macys-historic-wooden-escalators-survive-renovation.html?_r=0

There's a Junior's in Grand Central Terminal. You should visit the main hall there. Meet at the clock, the designated meeting point for everyone. (Here's a quick cool set of things to look for while you're there: http://www.amny.com/secrets-of-new-york/secrets-of-grand-central-terminal-1.6743090 )

SteveH
06-14-16, 05:01 PM
If you're going to the Sullivan Theater to see Colbert, go around the corner to Hello Deli and say hi to Rupert. The deli is tiny and Rupert is just as nice in person as he was on Letterman. I asked him if he ever sees Dave and he said he'd had no contact since the show left - somewhat wistfully. He had an Alabama shirt on and I asked him why "people send me shirts" It thought that was comical. Bought some water and took my picture with him. My brush with greatness.

http://www.hello-deli.com/

Napoleon
06-14-16, 08:18 PM
The upper floors have completely wooden escalators.

I think the last time i saw that was Higbees in downtown Cleveland (which is in the Santa Claus scene from A Christmas Story and has been closed, say, 15 years or so)

Napoleon
06-14-16, 08:26 PM
The deli is tiny and Rupert is just as nice in person as he was on Letterman.

I saw him on Letterman and Colbert. Maybe I will buy a sandwich, if I need to wait in line, but they have still not released tickets for their July shows.

dando
06-14-16, 08:44 PM
So many delis 'just around the corner' that will nock your socks off. :thumbup: :thumbup: :) I suggest a pastrami on rye.

chop456
06-15-16, 07:50 AM
http://bbandcnyc.com/about/

http://www.marseillenyc.com/

Napoleon
06-15-16, 02:02 PM
Jesus, by the time I get back, in time for the last night of the Republican National Convention, I will be so fat I will be unable to out run the police.

dando
06-15-16, 02:30 PM
Jesus, by the time I get back, in time for the last night of the Republican National Convention, I will be so fat I will be unable to out run the police.

Nah. You'll walk it off. I felt like I ran a marathon and then some trying to figure things out. Bring a good pair of walking shoes. :)

Gnam
06-15-16, 03:07 PM
Have a tremendous trip. It's gonna be HUGE. ;)

http://s33.postimg.org/t2pcntmjj/trump_tower_tax_breaks_r.jpg

dando
06-15-16, 05:06 PM
Have a tremendous trip. It's gonna be HUGE. ;)

C'mon Gnam, get it right....HUUUUGE. #notgettingpolitcal :)

datachicane
06-15-16, 06:21 PM
C'mon Gnam, get it right....HUUUUGE. #notgettingpolitcal :)

No, no, no, it's YUUUUGE. #nothingtoseehere :tony:

https://allenrogers.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/bighands.jpg

gjc2
06-15-16, 06:41 PM
I will be so fat I will be unable to out run the police.

And broke! Nothing's cheap here.

JoeBob
06-20-16, 01:07 PM

Pushing this over the top: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/where-to-eat-jackson-heights-elmhurst-queens.html

Gnam
06-20-16, 04:08 PM
Lots to do:
Eat in Hell's Kitchen.
Take a nap in Bed-Stuy.
Recharge in the Battery.
Fish off the Brooklyn Bridge.
Ask for the time in Times Square.
Find a parking spot in Central Park.

;)

TravelGal
06-22-16, 06:10 PM
Pushing this over the top: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/where-to-eat-jackson-heights-elmhurst-queens.html

I have just sent this to my favorite NYC foodie. I gained 3 pounds just looking at the pictures!

JoeBob
06-23-16, 12:28 PM
I have just sent this to my favorite NYC foodie. I gained 3 pounds just looking at the pictures!

I once got some quality Elotes from a woman on Roosevelt Avenue whose entire operation was contained in a stolen Home Depot shopping cart. The part where you'd sit a kid held a rectangular charcoal grill. The rest of the cart had the corn, spices, and a cooler with mayo, cheese, etc. Good times.

Gnam
06-23-16, 12:32 PM
C'mon son!

http://s33.postimg.org/xau9eh7mn/jh_Dj2_MK.jpg

nissan gtp
06-23-16, 03:27 PM
C'mon son!

http://s33.postimg.org/xau9eh7mn/jh_Dj2_MK.jpg

nice setup:thumbup:

Napoleon
07-01-16, 11:26 AM
Well I managed to get a ticket to Colbert's show

Napoleon
07-09-16, 06:43 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for smartphone app for transit/transportation purposes or just visiting NYC?

dando
07-09-16, 11:21 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for smartphone app for transit/transportation purposes or just visiting NYC?

Just hit up your app store. There are several NYC transit apps rated well (4.5)...in Google Play for me. Also, search NYC Tourist. There are numerous apps. In Play, Citymapper is rated as Editor's Choice, but there are many. I suggest pulling down a few and creating a folder for them and trial by fire. That's what I do for my WDW/DL Disney travels and travel/flight apps. I didn't have a smartphone when I went to NYC and Boston back in '08, so I just did it on the fly and asked the front desk for 411 on what to do. They will have paper maps for the subways, etc. as well. That was daunting knowing nothing those cities. :eek:

EDIT: most app developers are now doing both iOS and Android versions of their apps. Most were for iOS initially, but they are now smelling the coffee as Android is more dominant than iOS...mostly because Apple is a walled garden, and only has their own devices. Android is spread across many mfgs. I've had Moto (horrible), HTC (OK) and now Sammy devices with many flavors of Android OS.

Napoleon
07-09-16, 01:31 PM
There are numerous apps.

That's my issue!

Napoleon
07-09-16, 02:06 PM
Nappy, if you're in to photography visit B+H Photo. An amazing store with more equipment than you can imagine. Also has a great used equipment department. But check the hours if you go.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

This is not far from where I am staying.

SteveH
07-09-16, 02:41 PM
This is not far from where I am staying.

Your credit card could get a workout...

dando
07-09-16, 04:41 PM
That's my issue!

I get ya. That's why I have a folder for Disney with about 6 apps for 411 (mostly wait times), and 12 apps for travel and mapping. See the ratings and check the comments. Citymapper looks like a winner from what I read. Also New York Travel Guide is highly rated, as is My Transit NYC. As I mentioned, it's daunting figuring out the various subway routes. I stayed in Fort Lee, NJ, and had to figure out how to get to and fro from there to Yankee Stadium in Queens (the real one), and down into Manhattan to catch a ride to Ellis Island, The Statue of Liberty, and Staten Island. This site looks like it has some decent 411 as well:

http://www.nycgo.com/

dando
07-09-16, 04:42 PM
Your credit card could get a workout...

That's some serious glass.

SteveH
07-09-16, 06:05 PM
That's some serious glass.

I believe it sold later last year.

JoeBob
07-11-16, 12:19 PM
I've found that Google Maps does a fine job of calculating directions for walking and/or transit.

indyfan31
07-11-16, 12:30 PM
I've found that Google Maps does a fine job of calculating directions for walking and/or transit.

That's what we used, worked very well. :thumbup:

cameraman
07-11-16, 02:15 PM

The only real issue is based on where you live. If you are up in the woods in Canada or out in the desert in Utah there are huge swaths of road that have no cell phone service of any kind. So if you are spending a lot of time driving out in the sticks you might still want that satellite-based stand alone GPS unit.

Same goes for all those streaming music services, no music for you if your cabin has no cell service.

JoeBob
07-28-16, 11:27 AM
So... how did it go?

Napoleon
07-31-16, 08:33 PM
So... how did it go?

****ING TERRIBLE, but good. More later, maybe several weeks since I am swamped with stuff.

SteveH
07-31-16, 09:19 PM
Anyone else getting this vibe?

http://ap1.alchetron.com/cdn/The-Out-of-Towners-1970-film-images-a346e5c7-5b90-4455-ac16-460d010ed28.jpg?op=OPEN

dando
07-31-16, 11:40 PM
****ING TERRIBLE, but good. More later, maybe several weeks since I am swamped with stuff.

Getting the areas down is a PITA. My parental units had to make an emergency trip from Iceland through JFK, which was a nightmare due to the weather. :\

Napoleon
08-02-16, 10:32 AM
So to cut to the chase at why the vacation was terrible, I managed, after leaving my bags at the hotel on Saturday morning after flying in, but before I checked in (I showed up at the hotel hours before check in time) to lose my wallet, on the subway, with my only picture ID and all the money and credit cards I had brought with me (and I am almost certain I either dropped it or managed to remove it from my pocket and not put it back in, I don’t think it was lifted). Of course it never turned up and at least one of the cards had 3 charges made to it that were not me (one of which was buying a farecard for the subway). So right off the bat it caused me a problem since the hotel wanted a photo id and credit card to check me in, and all I could think of was even without that I had no money to eat and really no way to go anywhere (I didn’t even have money to buy water bottles if I decided to walk far). Without boring you will all the details, suffice it to say I ultimately managed to overcome all of the problems it caused me, but until late on Tuesday (and I was flying out Wednesday evening) I did not have enough funds and a credit card not to worry about money (someone got me $200 Sunday morning, but much of it I had to hold on to so I had funds to get back to the airport and get my car out of the lot once I got back to Cleveland, though by Sunday midday my brother had got into my house and got a credit card of mine, and emptied his wallet and dumped it all into a FedEx, which I knew was coming to me). So my Sunday was largely blown with screwing around with this, and it just caused the whole 5 days to be a bummer (plus largely cause me to blow a day once I got back with stuff like getting a new, ID, etc.).

By the way, you should have seen the look on the ticket counter woman’s face at JFK when she asked me for my ID and I told her I had none. Praise to Allah, and his prophet Mohammad, may peace be upon him, my name is not something like Hussian Syed Hussain (my name is obviously a Slavic name) and I am middle aged.

Anyways, that stuff aside (and that is a little like the joke “other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play”) I enjoyed myself and may go back next year.

I walked a lot and covered lower Manhattan to the top of Central Park (though none of the neighborhoods flanking the park) and I walked over the Brooklyn Bridge. Hit the Natural History Museum and top of Rockefeller Center. I ended up missing my scheduled time at the Tenement Museum since I was running down the $200 someone sent me.

Not only was I unable to hit any of the restaurants suggested (though I am saving the suggestions for next trip and will by that time have a much better handle on using my new smartphone to help, which BTW saved me in my predicament) but I did not have one decent New York meal. The first couple days or so I was tied to the restaurant in my hotel since I could charge it to the room and at least ½ of the other meals were street cart stuff, and the one night I actually was able to go out to dinner I picked a terrible place in Greenwich Village (mostly because they had a nice view of the street from their outside patio). I did have a could of good slices of pizza though at a place near Wall Street on my first day before I lost my money.

Steve, my travels did take me past B + H Photo but it was near an end of a day when my feet were screaming in pain (I really have to find more comfortable shoes next time), so I did not walk in, but looked impressive through the window.

I walked past and through a lot of architecture, Grand Central Station, Chrysler Building, Daily News, some side streets with 150 year old houses, etc.

I saved the best for last. Hands down the best thing I did, and what made all the hassle worthwhile, was the Late Show/Stephen Colbert. I am just a huge fan of his, and was of his old show. On CBS I have likely seen 80-90% of his shows and the one I saw live undoubtedly was his best, and better yet it had him revive his Comedy Central character for the one and only time he is going to do it (see first link for an explanation) and I was lucky enough to see the show. That and with Jon Stewart making an appearance (in a taped segment) and the audience just went nuts. Most fun I have had in a really long time. I can’t believe how lucky I got with the show. The second link below basically talks about how his show was on fire the two weeks of the convention. Anyone who is a fan of his and did not see the show, stream it on line.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/arts/television/stephen-colbert-retires-stephen-colbert.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/01/arts/television/stephen-colbert-found-himself-again-at-the-conventions.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollecti on%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=34&pgtype=sectionfront

PS, this is a good overview on the Colbert show swinging for the fences beginning with the show I saw:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/29/media/stephen-colbert-late-show-convention-bounce/

TravelGal
08-02-16, 03:34 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

And that's all I've got to say about that. :(

gjc2
08-02-16, 06:47 PM
So I guess your story isn’t far from what happened to Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis.

SteveH
08-02-16, 07:07 PM
Geez, sorry to hear that Nappy. It was like the out of towners in a way.

Go back with a vengeance. Next time will be better.

I hope.

Napoleon
08-02-16, 08:51 PM
So I guess your story isn’t far from what happened Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis.

I never have even heard of that movie. I guess I need to find out what that movie is about.

SteveH
08-02-16, 09:10 PM
I never have even heard of that movie. I guess I need to find out what that movie is about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066193/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

dando
08-02-16, 10:10 PM
:(

'tis why I only roll in cargo shorts/pants. :)

Napoleon
08-03-16, 07:18 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066193/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

My trip was worse then that. I do notice they were suppose to be from Ohio, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Napoleon
09-19-16, 10:14 AM
Well, good thing I did not take my trip now. That bomb that went off was 6 blocks directly south (well, if you assume the long axis of Manhattan is directly north-south) of where I stayed and the one that did not was 2 blocks directly south (and I am certain I used that block as a cut through several times).

Napoleon
09-19-16, 12:38 PM
So it is now beginning to look like the terror plot was "broken up" by thieves accidently (per some online reports) disrupting the bomb left on W27th and other thieves (that is the clear implication from the facts given in NY Times stories, though they do not characterize them that way) who stole the bombs in Elizabethtown and then reported it to the police when they realized what they had.

nrc
09-19-16, 02:23 PM
What's this world coming to when you can't even leave your bomb unattended on the street? :shakehead: :laugh:

Somehow I missed your harrowing tale of non-fun last month. Sorry to hear about that. I hope you get to try again.

Napoleon
09-19-16, 03:47 PM
What's this world coming to when you can't even leave your bomb unattended on the street? :shakehead: :laugh:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160919/chelsea/thieves-helped-crack-chelsea-bombing-case-sources-say

Somehow I missed your harrowing tale of non-fun last month. Sorry to hear about that. I hope you get to try again.

Thanks, I have pretty much made up my mind I am going back next year to do some things I did not this time, and with a better idea/plan for the week based on the experience of this year.

PS, who knows, maybe the person who ended up with my wallet is the hero who accidently disabled the one bomb.

Gnam
09-19-16, 04:06 PM
:laugh:

Napoleon
06-13-17, 08:09 AM
OK, I am going back to NYC again this year in July for this years summer trip.

SteveH
06-13-17, 08:55 AM
OK, I am going back to NYC again this year in July for this years summer trip.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Have you seen the Out of Towners yet? :D

Napoleon
06-13-17, 12:29 PM
Have you seen the Out of Towners yet? :D

I still have to do that.

Today I made reservations again at the Tenement Museum at the same time, on the same day of the week (and I am taking the trip on the same week as I did last year) and for the same type or tour as I did last year, but didn't make since I was walking all over town trying to find a place that I could pick up the $200 a friend wired to me. That same friend today said I might be tempting fate with that.

SteveH
06-13-17, 01:02 PM
I still have to do that.

Today I made reservations again at the Tenement Museum at the same time, on the same day of the week (and I am taking the trip on the same week as I did last year) and for the same type or tour as I did last year, but didn't make since I was walking all over town trying to find a place that I could pick up the $200 a friend wired to me. That same friend today said I might be tempting fate with that.

In that case, FedEx $500 cash to yourself at the hotel. Obviously insured for that amount.

Money in the bank, sort of.

Napoleon
06-13-17, 02:17 PM
In that case, FedEx $500 cash to yourself at the hotel. Obviously insured for that amount.

Money in the bank, sort of.

Funny! I should preemptively assume I will do the same stupid thing and try to mitigate my own screw up.

Actually I will do something I have always done in the past but did not last year, which is put some amount of money and a credit card hidden in my suitcase. I did not do that last year since when I arrived I did not check in but had them hold my luggage in a holding area (which presumably is less secure then when it is in a room).

I did go out since last year and get a passport so that I have alternative photo ID at home that someone can send me.

SteveH
06-13-17, 03:42 PM
Scan the photo page of your passbook and save it on your phone or in Dropbox (or something similar in the Cloud). Probably better in Dropbox than your phone in the event you get mugged and all is taken. You can still access your photo from any online device. I don't know how well it will be accepted for travel, but it is something more than not.

http://lifehacker.com/scan-and-save-images-of-your-passport-and-prescriptions-927527185

gjc2
06-13-17, 06:47 PM
Formula E in Brooklyn on July 15th

Napoleon
06-14-17, 11:37 AM
Scan the photo page of your passbook and save it on your phone or in Dropbox (or something similar in the Cloud). Probably better in Dropbox than your phone in the event you get mugged and all is taken. You can still access your photo from any online device. I don't know how well it will be accepted for travel, but it is something more than not.

http://lifehacker.com/scan-and-save-images-of-your-passport-and-prescriptions-927527185

Funny you should suggest that. One of the first things I mentioned to somebody at work after that week from hell in NYC was how good of an idea it would be to have a scan of your driver's license (which, of course, I have yet to do). Dropbox sounds like a good idea. I guess I could email them to myself (but I wonder if that is less secure from the standpoint of someone getting into it)

Napoleon
06-14-17, 11:38 AM
Formula E in Brooklyn on July 15th

Hum, it looks like they have a race both Sat and Sun at 4pm and it does not appear to be too far from Manhattan.

SteveH
06-14-17, 11:52 AM
Funny you should suggest that. One of the first things I mentioned to somebody at work after that week from hell in NYC was how good of an idea it would be to have a scan of your driver's license (which, of course, I have yet to do). Dropbox sounds like a good idea. I guess I could email them to myself (but I wonder if that is less secure from the standpoint of someone getting into it)

I've done this in the event I lose my passport while out of the country. It probably helps a little. Have no idea how much. In addition, you could also scan in a copy of your drivers license.

Write down your Dropbox password and place that in your wallet so you don't forget. :tony:

NOT!

TravelGal
06-14-17, 01:45 PM
I've done this in the event I lose my passport while out of the country. It probably helps a little. Have no idea how much. In addition, you could also scan in a copy of your drivers license.

Write down your Dropbox password and place that in your wallet so you don't forget. :tony:

NOT!

I think this is a good idea. This group is amazing. Of course, if you used a travel agent, they would have a copy of your passport in your file to send you if you needed it. Except, hmmm, I've never actually thought of New York, of even Brooklyn as a foreign country so I might not have thought to ask you for a passport photo for that trip. PS, whenever I write down passwords to take on a trip, I always add random words or numbers before and after. Thieves are usually after the quick kill. They are not the IT b-tards that spend their lives trying to crack the codes.

gjc2
06-14-17, 07:10 PM
it does not appear to be too far from Manhattan.

Just the other end of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn

Napoleon
06-14-17, 08:50 PM
Just the other end of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn

Are you planning on going?

gjc2
06-15-17, 05:59 AM
Are you planning on going?

No I'm not.

Insomniac
06-15-17, 07:19 AM
With the password talk and storing copies of ID online, I'd mention a password manager may be a good idea. I know this one lets you store images in your vault: https://www.lastpass.com/

Napoleon
06-15-17, 09:31 AM
With the password talk and storing copies of ID online, I'd mention a password manager may be a good idea. I know this one lets you store images in your vault: https://www.lastpass.com/

!!

That never occurred to me. I use one and it has an option to attach files and while it seems to work when I have it open if I close out the file goes away.

Napoleon
06-29-17, 10:18 AM
You have to be in Times Square to take advantage of this, heavily discounted same day tickets for Broadway shows. Show up early, wait in line, you may not get your first choice so be prepared for that possibility. We saw the Carol King musical, Beautiful. Tickets were 40% off. I would have loved it at 100%. It is an excellent show.

FYI, now they are also running these ticket lotteries via apps. I will likely try for Hamilton.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/theater/how-to-get-cheap-theater-tickets-including-hamilton.html?mcubz=2

TravelGal
07-03-17, 05:11 PM
FYI, now they are also running these ticket lotteries via apps. I will likely try for Hamilton.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/theater/how-to-get-cheap-theater-tickets-including-hamilton.html?mcubz=2

:thumbup: