PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Fisher - memory problems

rabbit
05-31-16, 09:44 AM
http://sports.usatoday.com/2016/05/27/ex-indycar-driver-sarah-fisher-has-memory-problems/

Interesting read given what has been learned about football injuries and given what we all knew about the original IRL sleds. It's just a little infuriating seeing Cheever give TG credit for watching out for driver safety. :thumbdown: Yes, the SAFER barrier was a great leap forward in safety. But given everything else he was responsible for, it's like striking out 20 times then hitting a home run and getting praised for the home run.

dando
05-31-16, 10:28 AM
http://sports.usatoday.com/2016/05/27/ex-indycar-driver-sarah-fisher-has-memory-problems/

Interesting read given what has been learned about football injuries and given what we all knew about the original IRL sleds. It's just a little infuriating seeing Cheever give TG credit for watching out for driver safety. :thumbdown: Yes, the SAFER barrier was a great leap forward in safety. But given everything else he was responsible for, it's like striking out 20 times then hitting a home run and getting praised for the home run.

I stew every time I hear him credited for SAFER. It was developed at Nebraska, and there were many others involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAFER_barrier

SteveH
05-31-16, 10:39 AM
uIICFCqPba4]/youtube]

[youtube]vHcmxsm_m-4

oYKtUcDBL5U

AAz8TkKyD7Y

JcjOmn7neb4

UTlX0Hm3Rsg

0zCjvwCJcYc

Sooo many more to chose from. There were sooo many crashes in the early days of the IRL, she may be the first of many to have these issues. I hope not. She has young family, I hope for the best for her.

Gnam
05-31-16, 12:09 PM
She crash a lot. But, her memory problems are just from her getting older.

dando
05-31-16, 12:17 PM
She crash a lot. But, her memory problems are just from her getting older.

Partially, but the crashes/impacts didn't help. Peeps often forget that wheel tethers and the HANS Device were created by CART. :saywhat: CTE is a serious issue. Concussion is next up in my NF queue.

SteveH
05-31-16, 12:38 PM
Concussion is cumulative. She probably was the recipient of several that were never diagnosed as such. That concern has only recently been realized. The awareness has now trickled down to high school sports. My youngest son is a high school coach and follows a very strict concussion protocol. It is not just that with the IRL however with the years of tail heavy sleds on nothing but ovals, it will be more prevalent with the IRL.

Gnam
05-31-16, 12:45 PM
Well...Helio did forget that he lifted to give Danica her first win, and that Paul Tracy passed him under green. :p

TKGAngel
05-31-16, 01:05 PM
Partially, but the crashes/impacts didn't help. Peeps often forget that wheel tethers and the HANS Device were created by CART. :saywhat: CTE is a serious issue. Concussion is next up in my NF queue.

Not according to the NASCAR 'documentary' I watched last week. They invented all that after Dale E's passing. :p
(Now if only they could invent the single locking wheel nut...)

The fact that she's only 36 and has memory issues is disconcerting. At least they have recognized it and can monitor it.

dando
05-31-16, 01:59 PM
Concussion is cumulative. She probably was the recipient of several that were never diagnosed as such. That concern has only recently been realized. The awareness has now trickled down to high school sports. My youngest son is a high school coach and follows a very strict concussion protocol. It is just the IRL however with the years of tail heavy sleds on nothing but ovals, it will be more prevalent with the IRL.

Oh no doubt. Lots of discussion in these parts about removing kickoffs from HS ball. My DDs cousin started playing 'tackle' ~10...way too early, IMO, but I'm not his parental unit. I did the Oklahoma Drill as a 6th grader, and switched to T&F and hoops. :gomer: :D

nrc
05-31-16, 02:41 PM

CART was also the first, or at least among the first, to create concussion protocols and start taking the issue seriously.

CART also pioneered soft walls when it became evident that the crash angles at Rio were a danger with traditional walls.

History on these things is getting hard to find on the Interwebs, allowing the "winners" to re-write history to suit their delusions.

SteveH
05-31-16, 03:59 PM
CART was also the first, or at least among the first, to create concussion protocols and start taking the issue seriously.

CART also pioneered soft walls when it became evident that the crash angles at Rio were a danger with traditional walls.

History on these things is getting hard to find on the Interwebs, allowing the "winners" to re-write history to suit their delusions.

Sadly true, the spoils of war include the rewriting of history.

I recall that CART mandated the use of the HANS device long before the IRL. Correct?

dando
05-31-16, 05:00 PM
I recall that CART mandated the use of the HANS device long before the IRL. Correct?

For US OW, yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device

SteveH
05-31-16, 06:07 PM
For US OW, yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device

That article is slightly incorrect.

CART drivers Jovy Marcelo and Gonzalo Rodríguez

Marcelo certainly was killed but not in a CART sanctioned event. He was killed at Indy in 1992 in a very low speed accident.

pfc_m_drake
05-31-16, 08:45 PM

I swear I remember Goodyear developing a rubber 'soft wall' that was intended to be installed on any oval (as I recall, following the Gugelmin crash at Rio).

But as you say, it's hard to find history on that. Every time I've searched in the past I've come up empty. One of these day's I'll go poking around the wayback machine and find something. But until then, you've made me happy in that I'm not the only one who remembers that.

nrc
06-01-16, 04:09 AM
Post moderated. Somewhere in one of our updates our site specific rules fell out of the FAQ. I'll fix that.

Rule One: no personal attacks. Rule Two: See rule one.

Hey, at least we know the new user registration still works.

www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?1833-Welcome-to-Off-Camber!

chop456
06-01-16, 04:22 AM
I swear I remember Goodyear developing a rubber 'soft wall' that was intended to be installed on any oval (as I recall, following the Gugelmin crash at Rio).

But as you say, it's hard to find history on that. Every time I've searched in the past I've come up empty. One of these day's I'll go poking around the wayback machine and find something. But until then, you've made me happy in that I'm not the only one who remembers that.

Refresh my memory (maybe I've crashed too many times - :gomer: ).

Wasn't Gugelmin's big wreck at Texas and Blundell at Rio? It's hard to live in the past when you can't remember it.

Kiwifan
06-01-16, 05:41 AM
Post moderated. Somewhere in one of our updates our site specific rules fell out of the FAQ. I'll fix that.

Rule One: no personal attacks. Rule Two: See rule one.

Hey, at least we know the new user registration still works.

www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?1833-Welcome-to-Off-Camber!

WOW! That was a time machine moment reading those posts. I wonder how many of us are still around? 😒

dando
06-01-16, 12:48 PM
I wonder how many of us are still around? 😒

Not so many, Rusty. :(

SteveH
06-01-16, 12:55 PM

Wasn't there a problem with the Rio barrier with 'pocketing'? I can't recall the details, but I remember the word :gomer:

Kiwifan
06-01-16, 02:29 PM
Wasn't there a problem with the Rio barrier with 'pocketing'? I can't recall the details, but I remember the word :gomer:

From your teenage years? :D

Sorry, that was naughty.......

Kiwifan
06-01-16, 02:30 PM
Not so many, Rusty. :(

True. Sad really because we were an awesome Family.

pfc_m_drake
06-01-16, 03:07 PM
Refresh my memory (maybe I've crashed too many times - :gomer: ).

Wasn't Gugelmin's big wreck at Texas and Blundell at Rio? It's hard to live in the past when you can't remember it.
Maybe it was Blundell at Rio. You might be right and I'd have to check on it. I think it was 1996, but don't quote me on that.
But in any event, I was agreeing with nrc's post stating that CART came up with the idea of 'soft walls', and in fact the Goodyear implementation (if it was Goodyear as in Goodyear Tire&Rubber) was designed to be portable and moved track-to-track.

But it's hard to find any info on that these days as it definitely happened in earlier days of the intarnets.

pfc_m_drake
06-01-16, 03:11 PM
Wasn't there a problem with the Rio barrier with 'pocketing'? I can't recall the details, but I remember the word :gomer:From what I recall, the one big problem that they had was the suspension pieces of the tub piercing the outside of the barrier (remember it was rubber) during a crash. I think they were going to solve that problem with some thin kevlar segmented coating applied to the outside of the barrier. However, about that time the SAFER things started to gain momentum and eventually won out.

Again - this is all from my recollection and it's been quite a few years now, so definitely do some independent fact checking (and then let me know where you found the info!) before you quote me on anything.

SteveH
06-01-16, 04:23 PM
Before the SAFER barrier came about there was this attempt at IMS, the PEDS barrier. It must have never been tested...

http://www.motorsport.com/iroc/video/main-gallery/arie-luyendyk-1998-indianapolis-iroc-crash/

rabbit
06-01-16, 05:29 PM
Blundell crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSSfGqNxKHU

rabbit
06-01-16, 05:32 PM
Soft wall introduction starts at 3:35 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQrAcOYo2YY

SteveH
06-01-16, 07:35 PM
That was a brutal crash, I've forgotten how bad it was. I'm surprised he survived.

Christian Fittipaldi during practice at Chicago Motor Speedway was another bad one. And he had a few more over his career.

I hope these guys don't end up the same way as Sarah.

pfc_m_drake
06-01-16, 08:36 PM
Soft wall introduction starts at 3:35 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQrAcOYo2YY

You are the man!
Thanks for the linkage!!!

chop456
06-02-16, 02:02 AM
Christian Fittipaldi during practice at Chicago Motor Speedway was another bad one. And he had a few more over his career.

He had a big one at Milwaukee, too. Damaged the wall, IIRC.

chop456
06-02-16, 02:06 AM
Maybe it was Blundell at Rio. You might be right and I'd have to check on it. I think it was 1996, but don't quote me on that.
But in any event, I was agreeing with nrc's post stating that CART came up with the idea of 'soft walls', and in fact the Goodyear implementation (if it was Goodyear as in Goodyear Tire&Rubber) was designed to be portable and moved track-to-track.

But it's hard to find any info on that these days as it definitely happened in earlier days of the intarnets.

To be clear, I should have said that I can't remember the past, not "you". No offense intended.

rabbit
06-02-16, 08:44 AM
You are the man!
Thanks for the linkage!!!

Through the mid-to-late '90s, I recorded and rewatched those races so many times I practically had them memorized, haha.

pfc_m_drake
06-02-16, 09:05 AM
To be clear, I should have said that I can't remember the past, not "you". No offense intended.
Understood. No worries...I did NOT take any offense :)
Actually, it's kind of fun (and a good exercise) to relive some of the 'glory days'. Sadly, it ultimately shows how far things have fallen :(

I'm also amazed Blundell came out of that accident virtually unscathed. Shows how good the CART chassis of the time really were!

pfc_m_drake
06-02-16, 09:28 AM
Through the mid-to-late '90s, I recorded and rewatched those races so many times I practically had them memorized, haha.I used to do the same. Good times, great memories. Glad you remembered the bit about the soft walls!!! I've been looking for that for a LONG time!

Elmo T
06-02-16, 09:46 AM
Another case of head trauma causing long term problems? Or shenanigans?

Ex-Wrestler Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka Ruled Incompetent to Stand Trial (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-wrestler-jimmy-superfly-snuka-ruled-incompetent-stand-trial-cold-n584341)

ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Pro wrestling star Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka is mentally incompetent to stand trial in the death of his girlfriend more than three decades ago, a judge ruled Wednesday....

The defense argued that Snuka suffers from dementia, partly due to the head trauma he suffered over a long career in the ring. A prosecution expert said Snuka's brain shows normal signs of aging and suggested he might be feigning symptoms.

opinionated ow
06-02-16, 11:05 AM
I used to do the same. Good times, great memories. Glad you remembered the bit about the soft walls!!! I've been looking for that for a LONG time!

Good thing is most of those races are now on youtube.