PDA

View Full Version : #100 Indy thread

dando
05-20-16, 09:14 AM
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/not-even-the-100th-indianapolis-500-could-boost-indycar-1777613378

Bring back Princess!

TravelGal
05-20-16, 11:56 AM
Otherwise, we’re going to see one of the greatest traditions in American motorsport slowly fade away into obscurity.

This, my friends, is the reason I decided to go this year. It seemed to me that, as a lover of the sport, even though I'm referring to what once was, I should at least once have seen its self-declared pinnacle one time. To do that, I figured I'd better step lively or it would be gone.

stroker
05-20-16, 12:00 PM
I can see it now.... "AMC's 'Walking Dead' 500!"...

G.
05-20-16, 01:16 PM
This, my friends, is the reason I decided to go this year. It seemed to me that, as a lover of the sport, even though I'm referring to what once was, I should at least once have seen its self-declared pinnacle one time. To do that, I figured I'd better step lively or it would be gone.

I hope you get a good seat, far away from the shrapnel and flying cars.
:\

Gnam
05-20-16, 01:19 PM
Where, oh where is that photoshop (MoCartt?) from Indy's last 100th Anniversary in 2011?

It had TG in a boater hat and, I forget the exact phrasing, but the jist was: 'Celebrate the Past, 'cause the future is ****ed!'

dando
05-20-16, 01:24 PM
Michael Shank Racing...very successful in many other forms of racing...has tried for the past several years to get to Indy, but found the barriers too overwhelming. These types of teams are what made Indy special for so many years in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Wx forecast looks good for quals this weekend. I don't trust any forecast beyond 48 hours around here these days. :saywhat: :irked: I supposedly went to the Time Trials when I was a yoot </My Cousin Vinny> and slept through it, according to my mom (who drove a '74 chocolate brown Vette for years).

EDIT: Michael Shank Racings site...good guy and racing Legge. :)

http://www.michaelshankracing.com/

TravelGal
05-20-16, 08:41 PM
I hope you get a good seat, far away from the shrapnel and flying cars.
:\

Good point. I think it's more binoculars we'll be needing rather than protective vests. :\ Paddock Penthouse, Box 10, Row M (for Marjorie, of course), seats 1 and 2. Procured by Sports Empire. If any of you miscreants plan to be there, look us up.

dando
05-20-16, 09:54 PM
Good point. I think it's more binoculars we'll be needing rather than protective vests. :\ Paddock Penthouse, Box 10, Row M (for Marjorie, of course), seats 1 and 2. Procured by Sports Empire. If any of you miscreants plan to be there, look us up.

Hard hats required...perhaps Elmo has some Hazmat garb to borrow. :tony:

opinionated ow
05-21-16, 08:12 AM
Michael Shank Racing...very successful in many other forms of racing...has tried for the past several years to get to Indy, but found the barriers too overwhelming. These types of teams are what made Indy special for so many years in the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Wx forecast looks good for quals this weekend. I don't trust any forecast beyond 48 hours around here these days. :saywhat: :irked: I supposedly went to the Time Trials when I was a yoot </My Cousin Vinny> and slept through it, according to my mom (who drove a '74 chocolate brown Vette for years).

EDIT: Michael Shank Racings site...good guy and racing Legge. :)

http://www.michaelshankracing.com/

Seems Legge's ride has evaporated too. Something to do with Indycar not being cooperative. No bumping in the 100th running :(

dando
05-21-16, 10:37 AM
Seems Legge's ride has evaporated too. Something to do with Indycar not being cooperative. No bumping in the 100th running :(

Bumping only occurs when wheels touch these days. :irked: Shank has tried to run Legge at Indy the past 3-4 years, but no soap. He runs her in IMSA and as a part of the Rolex and Sebring teams. Shank is a good local guy. Lots of good local racing roots here in central Ohio. I went to HS with the Coughlin clan (Jegg's). It's been a few years, but I had to chuckle when Hilliard was still promoting Tasman Racing when entering the city. Steve Horn & Co. had been gone for a few years by then. :(

dando
05-21-16, 01:03 PM
Literally DOZENS of fans in the stands. :shakehead:

TKGAngel
05-22-16, 06:04 PM
I'm as cynical as they come, but shish kebab to pole winner is a heck of a story.

dando
05-22-16, 06:58 PM
I'm as cynical as they come, but shish kebab to pole winner is a heck of a story.

Good for Hinch. Yet the 'partner' network has no linky to it on the top page, nor an actual home page for IndyCar . :shakehead:

EDIT: The Hinch story from E$PN...

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/15667181/james-hinchcliffe-passes-josef-newgarden-final-run-indianapolis-500-pole

dando
05-23-16, 02:41 PM
For those that didn't see it, the Hinch incident last year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaq5nB1YOg8

http://oakvillenews.org/four-time-indycar-winner-james-hinchcliffe-named-honorary-police-officer-with-halton-regional-police/

opinionated ow
05-25-16, 10:22 AM
For qualifying that actually means something, head over to Anderson Speedway. They're up to 37 cars entered for the Little 500 now.

dando
05-25-16, 10:34 AM
For qualifying that actually means something, head over to Anderson Speedway. They're up to 37 cars entered for the Little 500 now.

Little 500? Race for Hobbits? :gomer:

dando
05-25-16, 10:40 AM
Forecast for Indy is mid-80s and 30-40% chance for thorms. No major fronts, tho. Somehow we're forecasted to be in the upper-80s. :saywhat: #FYITG

dando
05-25-16, 10:48 AM
Sold out.

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/15720158/100th-indianapolis-500-total-sellout

stroker
05-25-16, 10:55 AM
Sold out.

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/15720158/100th-indianapolis-500-total-sellout

So how many sections did Mr. Aluminum buy...?

dando
05-25-16, 11:08 AM
So how many sections did Mr. Aluminum buy...?

Based on the dozens I saw in the stands for quals when I peeked in (only because the weather here sucked last weekend), I assume a lot. :tony:

opinionated ow
05-26-16, 04:35 AM
Little 500? Race for Hobbits? :gomer:

oCYz0szwMI4

33 sprintcars. 1/4 mile. It is nuts. Oh and they have pitstops too.

dando
05-26-16, 10:43 AM
33 sprintcars. 1/4 mile. It is nuts. Oh and they have pitstops too.

Shizz...looks like rush hour around here. ;) Or in Elmo's terms...anytime on the Surekill. :) :saywhat:

TKGAngel
05-27-16, 12:51 PM
This was a fun read: whatever happened to the 1996 Indy/US 500 class? (http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/130038-pruett-whatever-happened-to-the-field-of-60).

dando
05-27-16, 01:53 PM
This was a fun read: whatever happened to the 1996 Indy/US 500 class? (http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/130038-pruett-whatever-happened-to-the-field-of-60).

Ah a 'king Hiro mention. ;)

Mr. Vengeance
05-27-16, 08:30 PM
I assure you this will be more entertaining than anything that might happen on the track: https://twitter.com/Indy500Pics

TRDfan
05-27-16, 09:12 PM
The divided 500's 20 years later

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2016/05/26/the-divided-500-the-1996-indy-and-u-s-500s-20-years-later/

stroker
05-27-16, 10:11 PM
I assure you this will be more entertaining than anything that might happen on the track: https://twitter.com/Indy500Pics

An eyebleach warning would have been nice on that...

dando
05-29-16, 10:54 AM
The eggcitement is building. :tony: We had some serious pop up flooding thorms here in Cbus yesterday. Could be interesting if they reoccur today. On a side note, the Coke 600 is in serious jeopardy due to Bonnie.

trish
05-29-16, 12:24 PM
That was weird. The tv announcer telling AJ Foyt that it was time to signal the field. Shouldn't race control be the one to tell AJ when it's time? I don't watch this stuff normally so I'm clueless.

dando
05-29-16, 12:32 PM
That was weird. The tv announcer telling AJ Foyt that it was time to signal the field. Shouldn't race control be the one to tell AJ when it's time? I don't watch this stuff normally so I'm clueless.

That's ABC/E$PN for ya. :\

cameraman
05-29-16, 04:58 PM

So is IndyCar race control.

Hard Driver
05-29-16, 09:26 PM
Decent race... Congratulations to Alexander Rossi. It was a bit of a risk, but the fuel economy run won it for him.

And sure, the last stint was a fuel economy run for him, but he ran the whole race, was up to 9th at the last pit stop. Deserves the win.

gerhard911
05-29-16, 09:57 PM
Did not see a single second but congrats to Alexander. The gomerati :tony: must be ecstatic :thumbup:

dando
05-30-16, 12:44 AM
Decent race... Congratulations to Alexander Rossi. It was a bit of a risk, but the fuel economy run won it for him.

And sure, the last stint was a fuel economy run for him, but he ran the whole race, was up to 9th at the last pit stop. Deserves the win.

Decent race...I had it on in background doing chores around the apartment. Rossi basically had in in neutral through T3 and T4. Rahal had crept into the top 10, but got hosed by a pit snafu. :saywhat: Otherwise, I was hoping for Hinch and his comeback race. I was surprised that JPM lost it like he did, but he owned up to the mistake.

gjc2
05-30-16, 06:31 AM
It was an enjoyable race. I had good feelings about Munoz but Rossi wasn’t even on my radar.

Did you hear the comment by Allen Bestwick about fans coming back after the split?

SteveH
05-30-16, 07:41 AM
Looking forward to TravelGal's comments.

No one picked up on Rossi. Never heard his name mentioned until he took the lead. I hate fuel economy races but I'm ok with the outcome. He might be able to buy his seat back at Manor now. :tony:

Lots of stupidity on display during the race. Much of it was in the pits.

stroker
05-30-16, 09:57 AM
not hearing much hate in these comments... Where's Chief? :D

Okay, git yer perdictions in now for next year's attendance...

cameraman
05-30-16, 11:11 AM
The race is just an excuse to get stupidly drunk at a huge party. The attendance has nothing to do with the series or what cars are running on the track.

dando
05-30-16, 12:22 PM

No one picked up on Rossi. Never heard his name mentioned until he took the lead. I hate fuel economy races but I'm ok with the outcome. He might be able to buy his seat back at Manor now. :tony:

Wondering if she survived the Snake Pit. ;) :tony:

The coverage was horrid. Back in the day I remember having to listen on the radio since the race was tape delayed.

More happy for Herta. I remember the silence and sobs at the Team Rahal race party for Laguna when The Pass happened. :cry:

TKGAngel
05-30-16, 01:25 PM
The race is just an excuse to get stupidly drunk at a huge party. The attendance has nothing to do with the series or what cars are running on the track.

Ding! ABC kept showing the Snake Pit filled with people and there wasn't one screen showing the race in the entire corral. How is this promoting the series again (aside from lining the H-G coffers, of course.)

From what reports are coming in, the overnights are down (4.1 vs 4.3) compared to last year.

TravelGal
05-30-16, 11:13 PM

Well thanks! We had a great time. I have to say, that place, when it's full to overflowing, is quite the place. They did a pretty good job all around for the weekend. Three things stood out. On Carb day, it was packed. Well, the sections nearest the Pagoda were packed and trying to move inside the track was nearly impossible. (Shout out to Ed Severson for finding time to say hello.) The peeps were there for the Indy Lights race and they actually seemed to know what was going on. (I didn't, e.g. "oh look #27 is leading.") On Saturday, at the "driver's meeting" they worked their way from last to first, with Kanan clearly the most popular but when they announced Hinchcliff, nearly everyone stood to applaud him. He was genuinely surprised and moved by it. On Sunday, I'd say fewer than 15% left before the last lap of the race. That really surprised me. I thought most of them where there for the bands and Blue Angels fly-over and they they'd depart.

The Paddock Penthouse is the way to go. Real seats with backs. ELEVATORS. Its own mezzanine with its own BATHROOMS and food stalls. Plus in the shade after about 10 AM so we didn't cook or have to worry about rain, for which we were prepared and of which there was none. OK, I'm zonked. More tomorrow if I can get though my emails.

Napoleon
05-31-16, 08:59 AM
I rarely watch racing anymore, but a few things that I noticed Sunday and last year and also on a couple other IRL races I have watched in the last couple of years. Do they not do the rundown of the grid anymore at the beginning of the race? I started recording at 12 Eastern and the last few years they have not, other then in the "crawl", which isn't the same thing and in any event is illegible. It may not be illegible on my big screen TV if I was running it in HD mode, but since I am recording it on a DVD and need to pick an extended recording format it is not. It is nearly impossible for me as a "casual fan" to make heads or tails of the field (at this point I pretty much only know the people still there from CART). It didn't help that the winner was someone that quite possibly was not mentioned at all during the broadcast before the last 3 laps.

Oh and Cheever is still insufferable.

dando
05-31-16, 10:19 AM
I rarely watch racing anymore, but a few things that I noticed Sunday and last year and also on a couple other IRL races I have watched in the last couple of years. Do they not do the rundown of the grid anymore at the beginning of the race? I started recording at 12 Eastern and the last few years they have not, other then in the "crawl", which isn't the same thing and in any event is illegible. It may not be illegible on my big screen TV if I was running it in HD mode, but since I am recording it on a DVD and need to pick an extended recording format it is not. It is nearly impossible for me as a "casual fan" to make heads or tails of the field (at this point I pretty much only know the people still there from CART). It didn't help that the winner was someone that quite possibly was not mentioned at all during the broadcast before the last 3 laps.

Oh and Cheever is still insufferable.

They did during the pre-race crap that started at 11. And yes, he is...'Hey I won Indy...against a pack of back markers!'. :shakehead:

Chief
05-31-16, 10:27 AM
It is nearly impossible for me as a "casual fan" to make heads or tails of the field (at this point I pretty much only know the people still there from CART).

What's the matter, didn't the gaudy LED display on the humpback of the ugliest OW car ever made keep you updated on the who, what where and when? :p

Other than restarts the race was boredom personified, looking ever-so NASCAR-ish in a long snake-like bumper to bumper procession. Besides the AJ Foyt "roll the field" foolishness which made the old man look stupid standing there flailing his arms for the cars to go and they didn't, the tomfoolery of Andretti teams crashing each other out in the pits was classic IRL style bumbling.

Call it the hate in me...but, I snickered inside when I learnt that this Rossi kid had a half lap lead and out of gas coming out of turn 4. "Oh the drama" was like a throw back to the old days when the riding mechanic would jump out and push the car across the finish line. Or something like that.

Face it, the cars look STUPID and all that crap hanging off of them has the appeal of looking at an early 1990's Sandy Andretti wardrobe malfunction. Gross...

I will give them one kudo....I peeked the "Carb Day" practice on Friday morning and every driver was out there going 10/tenths. Made me think the race would be incredible. Boy was I wrong... -0.2 in the TV ratings over last year bares that out.

TravelGal
05-31-16, 01:43 PM
Chief, part of it is the hate and part of it has to be (fill in your expletive) TV coverage vs being there. After reading these comments, I'm dreading watching our DVR of the race. Being there was something else. Especially the first batch of laps where Hinch, RHR, and Bell were leapfrogging every lap or so. We'd see them roar by, watch the pass in turn one and then sometimes see one of the others ahead by the backstretch. Amazing. Thrilling. We'd been to Fontana a few times so we we figured we'd "seen" a super-speedway. It open there though so we weren't prepared for the roar of the engines. Talk about LOUD. I'm so glad I brought my scanner and headset from earlier days. Overall, I was never bored, just disgusted at the end. We had IRL-types in front of us and they were disgusted too. "Very bad for the fan base," said the one and I agreed. Yippee, a Formula One driver wins on his first try. How about THAT, Mr Foyt?

Backing up, I don't know if I ever "hated" them, maybe I did. My feeling now is revulsion of all things to do with that league. I was walking through the museum thinking, "This isn't my history." Then I realized most of it was. It's just been whored out out since the mergification. That's what makes it all so revolting. The merchandise shops were wall to wall people, Times Square on New Year's Eve busy. I had a tee shirt in my hand because I often buy one at significant events. As I walked along in line, I realized there was no way I could wear that. I just said to TravelGuy, "Let's go, I don't want this." I felt like Ziggy. I'm not giving them any (more) of my money.

So I set all that aside and looked at the weekend the way they merchandise it. A stand alone event. With history that was very well presented this year. We saw historic cars on track at least three times and a huge display of more than 100 of them behind the museum. That was the highlight of each day. But, I have to repeat at the risk of being electronically pummeled, we enjoyed the whole event, from the parade downtown with the goofy floats and bands, to the bands on the track, to the historics, the previous race winners, and yes, the race too.

Napoleon
05-31-16, 02:05 PM
They did during the pre-race crap that started at 11. And yes, he is...'Hey I won Indy...against a pack of back markers!'. :shakehead:

I figured that was the case, but I swear that was something that use to be done in between Jim Nabors and old lady Hulman and the green. Instead we get a bunch of dribble from the announcing crew.

Napoleon
05-31-16, 02:08 PM
Call it the hate in me...but, I snickered inside when I learnt that this Rossi kid had a half lap lead and out of gas coming out of turn 4. "Oh the drama" was like a throw back to the old days when the riding mechanic would jump out and push the car across the finish line. Or something like that.

:rofl:

This made me laugh on the conference call I am presently on.

dando
05-31-16, 02:15 PM
I figured that was the case, but I swear that was something that use to be done in between Jim Nabors and old lady Hulman and the green. Instead we get a bunch of dribble from the announcing crew.

Oh, yes, it used to be before the E$PN/ABC crap started. :saywhat: :shakehead:

SteveH
05-31-16, 02:24 PM
:rofl:

This made me laugh on the conference call I am presently on.

Indeed, not on a conference call however.

Chief
05-31-16, 04:50 PM
Hot off the presses:

#Indy500 drops in national TV rating: 3.8 rating

Derek Daly, a former professional race car driver and longtime racing analyst for WISH-TV Channel 8, said the dip in national ratings is concerning.

“A low rating is a symptom, not the problem,” Daly said. “The problem is not enough people nationally care about this race or this series. IndyCar needs to increase their focus on understanding why not enough people care.”

TravelGal
05-31-16, 05:36 PM
Hot off the presses:

Derek Daly, a former professional race car driver and longtime racing analyst for WISH-TV Channel 8, said the dip in national ratings is concerning.

“A low rating is a symptom, not the problem,” Daly said. “The problem is not enough people nationally care about this race or this series. IndyCar needs to increase their focus on understanding why not enough people care.”

Having just been in Indianapolis for the first time in my life, I realized immediately as a travel professional that this is a market that presents itself regionally. There is no real expectation that people will fly in from other states. (No public transportation; no reliable local transportation; no way to get much information on the internet. It's assumed you know because you live there or near.) There's a lot of local excitement about this race. It was fun to see all the stations broadcasting live from the Speedway starting at 6 AM (or earlier. I would have to take your word for that part. :) ) It's the same deal with the folks who run the race apparently. It's all part of the "this is an American race for Americans" that makes Indy car insufferable. Too much time staring at their own navel and not thinking globally. But they didn't ask me.

Napoleon
06-01-16, 07:41 AM
Having just been in Indianapolis for the first time in my life, I realized immediately as a travel professional that this is a market that presents itself regionally. There is no real expectation that people will fly in from other states. . . . It's the same deal with the folks who run the race apparently. It's all part of the "this is an American race for Americans" that makes Indy car insufferable. Too much time staring at their own navel and not thinking globally.

My take on why the Indy 500 has always been big in Indianapolis. It is big in Indy for the exact same reasons that Nascar is big in the south. Indiana is far and away the most southern former non-slave holding Union state, for all kinds of reasons and, just like the South,was ignored by "northern" professional leagues and had nothing in the way professional sports. So, like the south, it seized on to what was available, a race held at a failed test track. Nascar did that in the South, as well as college football. Remember how inward looking the gomers were when the split happened?

TravelGal
06-01-16, 12:25 PM
My take on why the Indy 500 has always been big in Indianapolis. It is big in Indy for the exact same reasons that Nascar is big in the south. Indiana is far and away the most southern former non-slave holding Union state, for all kinds of reasons and, just like the South,was ignored by "northern" professional leagues and had nothing in the way professional sports. So, like the south, it seized on to what was available, a race held at a failed test track. Nascar did that in the South, as well as college football. Remember how inward looking the gomers were when the split happened?

Oh absolutely. That's what turned me off as much as anything. Thanks, Nappy, for the further and broader explanation of why this happens. TravelGuy came home with a cold and called it his "Southern bug" because he only gets sick when he goes to the South. I thought he was crazy but now I see he was right about calling it the South. It certainly felt that way when we were there. I specialize in cruises and international travel (no US except on rare occasions) so this type of attitude is utterly foreign to me (couldn't resist that pun). :cool:

opinionated ow
06-02-16, 04:50 AM
Oh absolutely. That's what turned me off as much as anything. Thanks, Nappy, for the further and broader explanation of why this happens. TravelGuy came home with a cold and called it his "Southern bug" because he only gets sick when he goes to the South. I thought he was crazy but now I see he was right about calling it the South. It certainly felt that way when we were there. I specialize in cruises and international travel (no US except on rare occasions) so this type of attitude is utterly foreign to me (couldn't resist that pun). :cool:

One day I'd like to go and spend a couple of weeks in Indiana for the 500, the Little 500, the Hulman Classic, The Hoosier Hundred, Night before the 500, Indiana Midget Week etc. Is it really that bad? I mean I figured I'd need a car

dando
06-02-16, 05:30 AM
One day I'd like to go and spend a couple of weeks in Indiana for the 500, the Little 500, the Hulman Classic, The Hoosier Hundred, Night before the 500, Indiana Midget Week etc. Is it really that bad? I mean I figured I'd need a car

I don't think it's THAT bad. Indiana is an odd mix of southern, midwest and rust belt cultures. Kinda like oHIo north and south of I-70. From the reports I heard/read, this year was odd in that it attracted a very diverse crowd from all over the world. Yes, you would definitely need a car (and drive on the proper side of the road :gomer: ). Outside of Indy, you are in the sticks.

TravelGal
06-02-16, 09:57 AM

I don't think it's THAT bad. Indiana is an odd mix of southern, midwest and rust belt cultures. Kinda like oHIo north and south of I-70. From the reports I heard/read, this year was odd in that it attracted a very diverse crowd from all over the world. Yes, you would definitely need a car (and drive on the proper side of the road :gomer: ). Outside of Indy, you are in the sticks.

Agreed. In fact, it's quite nice actually. As long as you know you're not in a big city. Nappy and I were just making the point about why the 500, or IndyCar itself, seems doomed to failure on the world stage.

opinionated ow
06-02-16, 11:06 AM
Agreed. In fact, it's quite nice actually. As long as you know you're not in a big city. Nappy and I were just making the point about why the 500, or IndyCar itself, seems doomed to failure on the world stage.

Fair enough. The history of places like IMS, Terre Haute Action Track, IN Fairgrounds and IRP excites me...if I hadn't grown up watching CART I'd probably have been a latter day :gomer: (or not because I loved CART road racing just as much)

dando
06-02-16, 11:52 AM
Fair enough. The history of places like IMS, Terre Haute Action Track, IN Fairgrounds and IRP excites me...if I hadn't grown up watching CART I'd probably have been a latter day :gomer: (or not because I loved CART road racing just as much)

Don't forget Eldora, or perhaps a trip into Cbus for Columbus Motor Speedway.

http://www.eldoraspeedway.com/

Used to be we also had the NHRA Spring Nationals just east of here, but they moved them. Twas the home track of Jeggs, and the Coughlin clan (with which I went to HS) :(

Chief
06-03-16, 01:02 PM
Chief, part of it is the hate and part of it has to be (fill in your expletive) TV coverage vs being there. After reading these comments, I'm dreading watching our DVR of the race. Being there was something else. Especially the first batch of laps where Hinch, RHR, and Bell were leapfrogging every lap or so. We'd see them roar by, watch the pass in turn one and then sometimes see one of the others ahead by the backstretch. Amazing. Thrilling.

Ya know, your travelogue reads just like anyone who first sets foot inside the speedplant. Awe and and wonderment, kinda from the same perspective as others in what we like to call the "placefan" viewpoint (that was Goodyear-esque!). Glad you enjoyed it!

But, what I did not see in your writings was anything about THE technology that was "thrilling" you...ahhh yes, the brilliant DW-12 with assorted aero do-dads hung all over that beautiful hunk of OW technology (THIS is sarcasm). Were they just passing you so fast you couldn't see 'em or did you have to just imagine they were beautiful? For alot of us, the reason we went to races in the first place was because of the technology.....just like to get your opinion on it. It wouldn't matter if they ran lawnmowers, would it?

http://www.racer.com/components/com_flexicontent/librairies/phpthumb/phpThumb.php?src=/images/2016/May_2/IndyCar/Race_day/lat_abbott_IndyM_0516_13731.jpg

TravelGal
06-03-16, 05:54 PM
Now, now. But I do like the lawnmower comment.

You are exactly correct. I wanted to point out how it looked to the newcomer and why that's not so bad for the casual fan looking for a place to spend their entertainment dollar. Also that they tarted up the joint so it's 100% better than it used to be.

I particularly left out anything technical because the rest of the people here are the techno-dudes and dudettes. The technology itself is not the reason I started watching and going to races. I surely don't understand 1/10 of it. I do miss technology threads, like there used by on 7thgear. I read them all and it was slowly sinking in--very slowly but I could carry on a reasonably informed conversation. I enjoyed that. When KK sold out, I lost what interest I had had in the technology. In fact, I actually had lost interest when they gave up the turbos. People were waxing ecstatic about the new car and I kept saying, "But it sounds so different" thereby proving your point. It was the reaction of a faithful fan, who loved the series and the racing but didn't get excited that new (different) technology was on the track.

I think the cars look absurd and sound worse. I went to Long Beach this year to prepare myself for the 500. It was my first "IndyCar" race. It literally made me sick. I told Manic I wouldn't be back. Even to see old friends. The difference was unbearable. At the Speedway, it was so loud I had to wear headphones, which made it easier. The racing itself was as I described, close and fast, at least at the beginning. Thrilling to an average, unqualified fan. PS, we haven't watched the TV coverage yet so I have no idea what the rest of you saw.

All of this makes TravelGuy just as nuts as it makes you so I'm used to the reaction.

SteveH
06-03-16, 06:07 PM
There was nothing like the sound of a lone 2.65 liter V-8 during practice at Indy. Coming out of T4, the scream would get louder and the pitch would increase, you would hear the Doppler effect as it approached. It was the most beautiful sound I've ever heard in racing. It didn't assault the senses. I think the current IndyCars are much better than the previous versions, but it isn't close to what was. The original IRL engine sounded horrendous. The F1 cars at IMS screamed but that was too much over the top for me, way too loud to enjoy without ear protection (I'm sure my loss of high frequency hearing is due to the first F1 practice at Indy). The 2.65 on the other hand was in that sweet spot, just loud enough and the right pitch.

opinionated ow
06-04-16, 09:27 AM
There was nothing like the sound of a lone 2.65 liter V-8 during practice at Indy. Coming out of T4, the scream would get louder and the pitch would increase, you would hear the Doppler effect as it approached. It was the most beautiful sound I've ever heard in racing. It didn't assault the senses. I think the current IndyCars are much better than the previous versions, but it isn't close to what was. The original IRL engine sounded horrendous. The F1 cars at IMS screamed but that was too much over the top for me, way too loud to enjoy without ear protection (I'm sure my loss of high frequency hearing is due to the first F1 practice at Indy). The 2.65 on the other hand was in that sweet spot, just loud enough and the right pitch.

-b8fYcmAzc4

That crowd!

Tifosi24
06-04-16, 09:48 AM
Any race series in the world would kill for that turnout these days. It was a great engine sound and I only got to witness it in detuned fashion.

opinionated ow
06-04-16, 11:10 AM
Any race series in the world would kill for that turnout these days. It was a great engine sound and I only got to witness it in detuned fashion.

Yeah for me it was only Gold Coast 2006. I refused to go in the spec era and then it ended. I was fortunate enough to watch that race from the pits courtesy of someone I met from the Crapwagon days. That made it pretty speccy

Chief
06-04-16, 02:09 PM
LOL, them 1994 Menard Buick's sounds were precursor to the great 2016 sounds of today. :yuck:

rabbit
06-06-16, 10:24 AM

This.

Gnam
06-06-16, 12:07 PM
I thought the big guy on the left was Rossi's crew chief. I didn't recognize Michael Andretti. The new wife seems nice. ;)

http://www.racer.com/components/com_flexicontent/librairies/phpthumb/phpThumb.php?src=/images/2016/May_2/IndyCar/Race_day/lat_abbott_IndyM_0516_13731.jpg

TravelGal
06-06-16, 12:27 PM
Having now watched every bit of televised coverage of the Fie Hunnert, I have concluded that Paul Tracy made the pit stop competition sound more interesting (trust me, it was not) than the race itself. I never in my life thought I would wish for Leigh "my hair is on fire" Diffey but the trio ABC uses would make the Second Coming feel boring. It's a sad day indeed when you wish Scott Goodyear would talk *more.*:shakehead:

SteveH
06-06-16, 01:20 PM
Did you have a tenderloin? :gomer:

opinionated ow
06-07-16, 05:22 AM
I thought the big guy on the left was Rossi's crew chief. I didn't recognize Michael Andretti. The new wife seems nice. ;)

You know, that car wouldn't be too hideous if they got rid of the things around the wheels and the triangular flip up thing on the front of the sidepod. The car's nose is too low though.

Easy
06-11-16, 12:19 AM
You know, that car wouldn't be too hideous if they got rid of the things around the wheels and the triangular flip up thing on the front of the sidepod. The car's nose is too low though.

I agree that, at a glance it's not terrible, less the late era Can-Am inspired look behind the rear tires. But when you get close you can see that its a spec chassis in many aspects. The attention to detail that was taken for granted on Reynards, Lolas, Penskes, Swifts and Eagles that I was first exposed to is replaced by simple designs that are result of a single supplier. Seeing the DW-12 up close the first time reminded me of seeing the first spec version of the Tatuus Formula Renault 2000, which was a turd. That said, I fully believe that if CART had "won" the war we'd be looking at pretty much the same formula today. 2.2 Turbo V-6 was always the natural step from 2.65 Turbo V-8 as they approached 1000hp. With no Split, maybe they would have beat F1 to hybrids.

TL;DR
Indy is a special place despite the owners or what their brother did. Also, the history is still bigger than what happened from 1996-2007 and you will feel that when you're there.