PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Australia

WickerBill
05-18-16, 11:03 PM
Just some random thoughts from my five days in Sydney.

1. They have uncomfortably-named food items. I had a golden gaybar and I loved it.

2. There are far, far more Ugg stores than Starbucks. Two on every shopping block in Sydney. Every Japanese tourist is wearing Uggs.

3. Internet speed is so terrible. The Hilton has a 12mb pipe (linked 6mb DSL) shared with 40 floors - and they stated that's the best on offer. I don't know if I could live there purely for that reason.

Kiwifan
05-19-16, 12:21 AM
For some reason your post stopped at 3. Please feel free to post the other 30 observations. :D

I wanted to live there once, not so now. Miss the racing at Surfers but.

nrc
05-19-16, 12:27 AM
Do they have Diet Coke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

TravelGal
05-19-16, 01:29 AM
For some reason your post stopped at 3. Please feel free to post the other 30 observations. :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

opinionated ow
05-19-16, 04:20 AM
Just some random thoughts from my five days in Sydney.

1. They have uncomfortably-named food items. I had a golden gaybar and I loved it.

2. There are far, far more Ugg stores than Starbucks. Two on every shopping block in Sydney. Every Japanese tourist is wearing Uggs.

3. Internet speed is so terrible. The Hilton has a 12mb pipe (linked 6mb DSL) shared with 40 floors - and they stated that's the best on offer. I don't know if I could live there purely for that reason.

1. The Golden Gaytime. It's an Aussie icon. I don't think I've ever eaten one though.

2. Starbucks just about shut up shop completely because they couldn't compete with all of the smaller cafes that apparently have better coffee. Just about everyone in AUS has a pair of ugg boots but most of them come from Kmart/Big W/Target or whatever and only get worn around the house.

3. Internet speed is sufficient. That's about it. Hotels have a tendency to be really tight about internet in this country. Go out bush and they might offer you a free 50MB of wifi for a 2 night stay.

Kiwifan
05-19-16, 05:19 AM
whatever and only get worn around the house.

Hmmm, how come I see so many of your countrymen and ladies in our shop wearing them? You know the ones, they tell us we have our $1 and $2 coins around the wrong way. I blame JetStar for bringing them over. :p

Kiwifan
05-19-16, 05:20 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Cheers! I thought it went hand in hand with the month of May. :D

dando
05-19-16, 05:26 AM
1. 840

2. You obviously do NOT have girls. Uggs are required here for elementary/middle school or one is not permitted into cool school. :\ And what the heck is a KMart, ow?

3. Obviously someone in NZ unplugged the dialup cable. :gomer:

dando
05-19-16, 05:31 AM
Hmmm, how come I see so many of your countrymen and ladies in our shop wearing them? You know the ones, they tell us we have our $1 and $2 coins around the wrong way. I blame JetStar for bringing them over. :p

Rusty, play nice...

:gomer: :D

Kiwifan
05-19-16, 06:42 AM
It's all good, oow can handle it, after all his mob and our mob have been at it for 150 years. :laugh: He knows if there is anyone a Kiwi wants to beat at anything it's an Aussie. He also knows if anything was to hit the fan the first person you would want by your side was an Aussie.

Speaking of candies did WB ask for a Cherry Ripe? :D

opinionated ow
05-19-16, 06:58 AM
haha your coins are backwards :rofl:
I think its more that people revert to stereotype when overseas

1. 840

2. You obviously do NOT have girls. Uggs are required here for elementary/middle school or one is not permitted into cool school. :\ And what the heck is a KMart, ow?

3. Obviously someone in NZ unplugged the dialup cable. :gomer:

Kmart, Target, Big W are all discount variety stores. Like smaller, classier Walmarts. Kmart & Target in AUS have no relation to the ones in the USA. You can't wear uggs in schools in Australia-95% of schools have a set uniform and the rest have footwear policies for OH&S purposes.

datachicane
05-19-16, 11:04 AM
2. You obviously do NOT have girls. Uggs are required here for elementary/middle school or one is not permitted into cool school.

Can partially confirm. When my daughter hit middle school a couple of years back, Uggs were her first ever name-brand apparel request. We hit the store, she tried them on, saw the price tag, and decided red converse were more her style. Hasn't looked back since, still pretty much all she wears, everywhere. Superfluous middle school grad photo from humblebragging dad:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CzxSG17PbIQ/Vz3UEQDSKLI/AAAAAAAAGPA/DjU-zSwkvI8BdW8wQjzVTieEI257JHQlgCCo/s800/1000178_588877684485935_1970168004_n%255B1%255D.jp g

cameraman
05-19-16, 12:23 PM
Not sure which is worse, Uggs or $65 hypervenoms that barely last 6 months due to constant ball handling.

http://www.usa-sports-cleats.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/i/kids_hypervenom_phelon_ii_neymar_ic_4288.jpg

They're literally destroyed within a few months.

dando
05-19-16, 12:31 PM
Mine have Mickey & Minnie slip on Vans, as well as Chuck Taylors, but Uggs dominate the winter and fall mos....all 16 of them. :gomer: Side note, the rough part for me is the 12 yo wears women's size 8.5. She got her foot genes from me. :eek: :saywhat:

But I digress...WB, no Vegimite?

cameraman
05-19-16, 12:41 PM
And what the heck is guarana and why would you want to drink a neon yellow mixture of it?

dando
05-19-16, 01:07 PM
And what the heck is guarana and why would you want to drink a neon yellow mixture of it?

This coming from a dude in a state that allows multiple spouseshes? :gomer: At least it's not guano. :saywhat:

G.
05-19-16, 01:10 PM

Batpoop.
Reasons.

:gomer:

G.
05-19-16, 01:11 PM
It's all good, oow can handle it, after all his mob and our mob have been at it for 150 years. :laugh: He knows if there is anyone a Kiwi wants to beat at anything it's an Aussie. He also knows if anything was to hit the fan the first person you would want by your side was an Aussie.

New Zeland - Australia's little sister, with face tattoos.

:runs

WickerBill
05-19-16, 01:24 PM
Didn't have vegemite. And I do have a daughter and she has two pair of Uggs. But I'm commenting on the quantity of Uggs stores in Sydney. It's insane.

opinionated ow
05-20-16, 05:43 AM
Didn't have vegemite. And I do have a daughter and she has two pair of Uggs. But I'm commenting on the quantity of Uggs stores in Sydney. It's insane.

In the CBD? It's a total tourist trap. You've never seen more painted didgeridoos or boomerangs either.

opinionated ow
05-20-16, 05:46 AM

Speaking of candies did WB ask for a Cherry Ripe? :D

Or a violet crumble. Hopefully not a polly waffle because he's just as likely to end up with a Bondi Cigar.

Oh we can give as good as we get, don't you worry. They reckon you're meanest about the people you love the most. :p

dando
05-20-16, 09:12 AM

Or just Ugh. ;) Some things I'll just never comprehend...like flip flops love and the love for *$s. ;) Someday I'd love to visit down under, but after the parental units hit the NZ and Oz on one of the recent around the world cruise, and paid $42 US for a flipping pizza in Sydney, I'd need to sell organs for afford it. :saywhat: And in NZ all they saw were a bunch of funky worms in caves, and these peeps in oversized furry feet. :D

WickerBill
05-20-16, 09:42 AM
In the CBD? It's a total tourist trap. You've never seen more painted didgeridoos or boomerangs either.

Well I don't know what the CBD is, but I'm guessing I was there - Hilton Sydney, on Pitt / George.

I brought home both a cherry ripe and a violet crumble for the kids. I'll let you know how they like them.

opinionated ow
05-20-16, 10:24 AM
Or just Ugh. ;) Some things I'll just never comprehend...like flip flops love and the love for *$s. ;) Someday I'd love to visit down under, but after the parental units hit the NZ and Oz on one of the recent around the world cruise, and paid $42 US for a flipping pizza in Sydney, I'd need to sell organs for afford it. :saywhat: And in NZ all they saw were a bunch of funky worms in caves, and these peeps in oversized furry feet. :D

$42, $60 Australian? Where the bloody hell did they go?!?

Thongs are the bomb and the love of what?

opinionated ow
05-20-16, 10:24 AM
Well I don't know what the CBD is, but I'm guessing I was there - Hilton Sydney, on Pitt / George.

I brought home both a cherry ripe and a violet crumble for the kids. I'll let you know how they like them.

Yep. Central Business District.

dando
05-20-16, 10:46 AM
$42, $60 Australian? Where the bloody hell did they go?!?

Thongs are the bomb and the love of what?

US$...the ship parked in Sydney, IIRC. As far as I know, they did an onshore excursion around the Sydney area. I can't confirm their level of sanity, tho...two around-the-world cruises in three years, going to Norway, etc. in July for a couple of mos., and another trek around the world next year. And you thought Rusty was nuts. :gomer: ;)

dando
05-20-16, 01:06 PM

WB, BTW, no disrespect was intended...I'm living through two DDs at 10 and 13 going on 18. :saywhat: :irked: Oldest wants $700 from her savings for an iPhone. :saywhat: Uggs are just one of those 'things' they must have. Oldest is now wearing he mother's shoes...8.5 women's at 13. :eek: The only reason we don't have an Uggs shop on every corner in the States is due to the WallyMarts, Target, Famous, and Zappos out there. The peer pressure is intense. :shakehead:

TravelGal
05-20-16, 08:52 PM
Didn't have vegemite.

This is why you are still alive. I had some once on plane from somewhere to somewhere (remember Ansett Airlines OOW?) I dipped the edge of my fork in the little rectangle of vegemite. I went so white I had the entire cabin crew in the aisle next to my seat for the rest of the flight. Managed to get to my hotel and promptly threw up.

Hilton :) Like those two but I'm a Tim Tam (original only, please) official bootlegger. :thumbup:

WickerBill
05-20-16, 08:52 PM
Oh no, no worries - I didn't read disrespect into anything.

dando
05-20-16, 09:59 PM
Oh no, no worries - I didn't read disrespect into anything.

Good. Glad your scouting trip for a new Nags QB went well. :D :gomer: ;)

opinionated ow
05-21-16, 08:16 AM
This is why you are still alive. I had some once on plane from somewhere to somewhere (remember Ansett Airlines OOW?) I dipped the edge of my fork in the little rectangle of vegemite. I went so white I had the entire cabin crew in the aisle next to my seat for the rest of the flight. Managed to get to my hotel and promptly threw up.

I do remember Ansett. Old Reg Ansett was a character. Sadly Air New Zealand rooted it when they owned it and it went bankrupt.

You did the vegemite thing in the wrong way. The secret is a light spread across the buttered toast. Or Jatz. Or Sao. Just don't try to eat it straight. Although it is an old game to convince the Americans to eat it like they would eat peanut butter ;):p

I wonder what you lot would make of this:

Tifosi24
05-21-16, 10:30 AM
Just reading the description, I can see why it is a limited edition. Sounds similar to mixing Frank's Saurkraut with chocolate.

dando
05-21-16, 10:54 AM
Just reading the description, I can see why it is a limited edition. Sounds similar to mixing Frank's Saurkraut with chocolate.

Or broccoli with chocolate sauce. I may need to sub this with a Nutella label for the DDs. :D

TravelGal
05-21-16, 11:21 AM
I do remember Ansett. Old Reg Ansett was a character. Sadly Air New Zealand rooted it when they owned it and it went bankrupt.

You did the vegemite thing in the wrong way. The secret is a light spread across the buttered toast. Or Jatz. Or Sao. Just don't try to eat it straight. Although it is an old game to convince the Americans to eat it like they would eat peanut butter ;):p

I wonder what you lot would make of this:

:eek::eek::eek: O M G. I let out quite the gasp. Believe me, I'd never try that or spreading it on anything. I didn't scoop it, I dipped the very tips of the fork tongs into it for the barest taste and I was done. More importantly (to me), I never knew there was a Reg Ansett. I had no idea how the airline got its name. I'm off to investigate. Thanks!