PDA

View Full Version : "A Late Race Pass"?!

NismoZ
04-18-16, 09:14 AM
THAT is how IMSA describes it!?:flaming: "Corvette Comes Up Short."? C'mon...Even the announcers made it seem like it was no big deal. There
must be a clause in their contract about speaking...oh, I don't know...the TRUTH!? What is the penalty for SPEARING in the NHL? No big deal in IMSA, I guess. In racing it is called CONTACT. Then there is AVOIDABLE CONTACT. SURE Milner drove across the front of Freddie Makowacky at the hairpin but he was on the racing line and, no doubt here, Fred totally succeeded in making AVOIDABLE contact! Looked to me like it was at about a 90 degree angle! (HEY, where is the "degree" symbol on a keyboard!?) Tandy goes under the 2 "spinners" and PORSCHE WINS! At least it wasn't a Georg(?) Bergmeister style, "slam Magnussen into a concrete wall" (TWO of 'em!) at SPEED, kind of wreck. No penalty there either.:mad: (Laguna '09?) There MUST be a difference between a "bump", or a "move 'em over" kind of "contact and simply slamming into someone! SPEARING! There HAS to be evidence SOMEwhere of Fred getting the "TAKE HIM OUT" order from the pits. :D

cameraman
04-18-16, 10:18 AM
72° option-shift 8 on a Mac.
72º option-0 on a Mac for a larger degree symbol

Alt-0176 on Windows

Gnam
04-18-16, 12:17 PM
That Corvette just jumped out in front of me, officer. :D
start @ 1:50 min mark.

6WUM0fw4NR8

Looks like Porsche is getting the hang of the NASCAR culture. :gomer:

NismoZ
04-18-16, 01:23 PM
(YES..."We have INTENDED CONTACT at the hairpin!" :mad: ( gee< I was so mad I don't recall the "looked like he (Milner) was used as a brake!" and "Sorry, but that's just not proper auto racing." Duhhh, ya think? (Oh, and thanks, c'man! & Gnam)

NismoZ
04-18-16, 01:45 PM
Gnam, can you post that Bergmeister mugging of Jan at Laguna...some of the best racing I've ever seen until he's hip-checked into the wall AFTER the last corner of the last lap! Great video, it's not TOO long and reminds me of TravelGal's description of racing and sound just after sunset. (the commentary is outstanding as well...gotta get RACERS in the booth!):thumbup: Ah' geez...there's 8 to choose from but #8 is by FAR the best, 10:21...Love Dorsey's commentary! "I guarantee he'll put a fender on him THIS time!" He did but later Magnussen said Bergmeister pulled the "brake-check" thing on him.

Gnam
04-18-16, 03:55 PM
the incident between Bergmeister and Maggussen is at the 3:00 min mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyDT5Yzwds8

NismoZ
04-19-16, 08:35 AM
Excellent, thanks...and for those of you with a little more time...at the end of that clip you will be WELL-rewarded if you watch the 10:21 version in the upper left corner..."The little terrier and the tall German"..."two drivers at the top of their game"..."glowing brake rotors..." you CAN'T play that kind of a game!"...and I forgot to mention DeFerran's last win/race!:thumbup:. Nice choked-up interview!

NismoZ
04-19-16, 08:47 AM
PS...If I HAD a s*** list for race drivers...Bergmeister and "Freddie" would be on it!:D...and don't get me wrong, I love Porsches, just not when used like THESE!

G.
04-20-16, 02:09 PM
Wait. Bergmeister did NOT get a penalty for that??

I thought that IMSA/ALMS threw out penalties for everything, including dirty looks and rude gestures.

Gnam
04-20-16, 05:05 PM
Wait. Bergmeister did NOT get a penalty for that??
Nope.

Jorg learned ALMS wasn't calling last lap penalties in 2007 when Melo, driving a Ferrari, bumped him out of the lead at Sebring.

They wanted "dramatic" finishes. Rubbin's Racin'! :gomer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL2HF-sFLnc

NismoZ
04-20-16, 05:27 PM
And THAT one!...Good Lord, that was '07!?:(...and that overhead shot ended JUST too soon...what did bergmeister do AFTER the checker...HIS hit was OK? Grrrr