PDA

View Full Version : NOT Time For A New Car...

NismoZ
04-15-16, 09:08 AM
...or IS it!? The ONE major factor that has been keeping me from making a perhaps illogical move SEEMS to have been removed. Don't know WHERE I've been for the last 3 weeks or so but the New York Auto Show introduced the new Mazda Miata MX5 RF..."R" for retractable! (fastback) Couldn't afford a TR-4,...or 6, an MGB or ANY "sports" car, when I 1st started driving up to RA for the June Sprints...(in my little (used) Corvair Monza convert.)...But NOW!!? And it still has a TRUNK with the top down! Neat little design! So, I'll have to "borrow" my wifes' car to haul the dog and my mountain bike, I can adjust. Can SHE!?

WickerBill
04-15-16, 09:39 AM
You are on a forum that was originally created for people who like race cars. Who like cars. You are not going to get any unbiased feedback here :)

Of COURSE it's new car time.

nrc
04-15-16, 04:29 PM
All the time is new car time. Only the finances disagree. :)

I love the new MX-5 design. I love the fact that it's actually lighter and smaller than my previous gen version. I like the RF look from some angles but it looks a little ungainly from others.

The funny thing about the "RF" is that it's not really a fastback and even if it were, the fastback part doesn't retract. The better nomenclature would be "RT" for retractable targa but I'm guessing that Chrysler has an RT trademark.

Being a fan of "gram strategy" I had to consider whether I was willing to accept the 75 pound penalty that the NC retractable hardtop brings. I finally decided that it was worth the improved comfort and security for a year-round car. The RF is really similar to the old retractable hardtop, just with a couple of buttresses and a targa bar riding on the deck lid. The result promises to bring a higher weight penalty so I'm not sure how I feel about that. It sounds like Mazda is targeting the RF at a segment that wants a more attractive, comfortable tourer and it should be great for that.

My biggest complaint about Mazda right now is their boring color palette. The only actual color they offer on the Miata is Soul Red. Soul Red is a great color but it's a sedan color, not a sports car color.

http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/MX-5-RF-GIF.gif

WickerBill
04-15-16, 08:04 PM
In most cities with a decent amount of competition, you can get the engine pulled and get a full, high-end paint job for about $3500... and then you are one-of-a-kind.

http://jalopnik.com/5951249/the-best-car-colors-ever-offered

I think #7 for that Mazda. Or maybe #1. :)

dando
04-15-16, 08:21 PM
...or IS it!? The ONE major factor that has been keeping me from making a perhaps illogical move SEEMS to have been removed. Don't know WHERE I've been for the last 3 weeks or so but the New York Auto Show introduced the new Mazda Miata MX5 RF..."R" for retractable! (fastback) Couldn't afford a TR-4,...or 6, an MGB or ANY "sports" car, when I 1st started driving up to RA for the June Sprints...(in my little (used) Corvair Monza convert.)...But NOW!!? And it still has a TRUNK with the top down! Neat little design! So, I'll have to "borrow" my wifes' car to haul the dog and my mountain bike, I can adjust. Can SHE!?

Go Tesla 3 like nrc. :gomer: :D

nrc
04-16-16, 02:05 AM
In most cities with a decent amount of competition, you can get the engine pulled and get a full, high-end paint job for about $3500... and then you are one-of-a-kind.

http://jalopnik.com/5951249/the-best-car-colors-ever-offered

I think #7 for that Mazda. Or maybe #1. :)

I've always heard that repainting kills the resale value. Ford has the right idea on the Mustang - orange, yellow, red, and deep blue.

dando
04-16-16, 12:51 PM
I've always heard that repainting kills the resale value. Ford has the right idea on the Mustang - orange, yellow, red, and deep blue.

Needs white.

nrc
04-16-16, 02:25 PM
They do have have the usual black, white, and gray for refrigerator fans. The white ones look pretty good with a blue stripe but if you get that on anything but a Shelby you're a poser.

http://fordmustang2016.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2016-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT-350-front-view.jpg

NismoZ
04-16-16, 05:47 PM
Exactly...and kinda wealthy, too! I ain't exactly tight...or poor, but there are SO many other things to spend $$ on...like FOOD and taxes! (I finally beat the mortgage thing, took 30 yrs, though.:)) I understand everything said here about the new RF and agree with nearly all of it but, dang it...despite all that it just looks like it'd be so much FUN! With only 155hp the weight is MOST important but I read where this "RF" adds less than 100 lbs and I'm sort of light, and I'll probably be driving solo about 97% of the time, and...see, we can just about justiFY ANYthing we really want. You should hear the stuff I get from my best ol'bud trying to explain why he wants to spend 54k on a Ford Explorer!! Empty nesters, 4mi. commute, seldom go ANYwhere besides out to dinner...Seems nuts to me, but...? There were SO many more sports cars up at RA in the OLD days...I think it my DUTY to bring one more BACK before they scatter my ashes in one of those outhouses and under a pic-nic table!:thumbup: PS...re: colors...have you looked over a large parking lot lately? The "colors" range from boring to dull...black, white, gray, silver...about90%! Mazda SPECIALIZES in red...leading many others to follow. We've had a RedFire Metallic Sportwagon, a CopperRed Metallic Mazda5 (Wife LOVES it...(I did something RIGHT!) also my present Soul Red GTs 3...then that BLACK Speed3 I should have KEPT! In fact, one writer described the new RF is for those Mazda fans who are tired of waiting for a new Speed3...that'd be ME! Like my wise old Mom always said when I REALLY wanted something..."We'll see."

NismoZ
04-16-16, 06:21 PM
Oh, NOW I look at the Jalopnik link:rolleyes:...YES, Arena Red! Someone could bleed out on that thing and nobody would notice! I think the "Scarab" blue from the Meister Brauser years is my all-time favorite and might be the reason Chevy came up with Nassau Blue Corvettes and Corvairs. (like my '66 Corvair Corsa!..waahhh...but Mazda "soul red" again?...no problem! (though Mazda is featuring/pushing that deep gray metallic. !

WickerBill
04-16-16, 08:45 PM
I'll be honest... someone posted an... Infiniti?... on here a while back in deep grey and it was the first grey car I've ever liked in my life. Sometimes, a body style craves a certain color, and I think they killed it with that grey.

But in general, it's a color you can't make "deep" like black or red with polish and wax, and it just seems so pedestrian / rental on most cars.

opinionated ow
04-17-16, 02:15 AM
If it doesn't come in orange or powder blue it isn't worth having.

Dvdb
04-17-16, 03:11 PM
I was thinking about this the other day.....does anyone have green in their color palette anymore? Specifically, the British Racing Green of MG, etc?

WickerBill
04-17-16, 07:33 PM
I was thinking about this the other day.....does anyone have green in their color palette anymore? Specifically, the British Racing Green of MG, etc?

Mini, for sure.

opinionated ow
04-18-16, 01:01 AM
Aston Martin & Jaguar do. Give me an F-type convertible in British Racing Green please :D

datachicane
04-18-16, 11:47 AM
If it doesn't come in orange or powder blue it isn't worth having.

Orange and powder blue, yeah.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cSTjzQv5BgA/maxresdefault.jpg

nrc
04-18-16, 12:33 PM
Mini, for sure.

MINI usually has a pretty good selection of colors if you don't count the six shades of gray. The trouble is that you can only get them on the misshapen hulks that they're calling MINIs these days.