PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach

TravelGal
04-05-16, 05:01 PM
Press release this afternoon from Los Angeles Area World Airports. It's a schlep but a lot cheaper than a taxi.

(Los Angeles, California – April 5, 2016) Travelers heading to the Grand Prix of Long Beach from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) April 15-17 can avoid the hassles of traffic, help reduce air pollution, and save cash by using the nonstop FlyAway® bus service to the Long Beach Transit Gallery. The 25-mile ride costs just $7 one way and the FlyAway® stop in Long Beach is a short walking distance to several hotels, the convention center, and entertainment centers that comprise the hub of racing activities.
In time for the Grand Prix, airport officials today announced a new web-based system that allows FlyAway® riders to access real-time, bus-tracking information on selected routes including Long Beach, Hollywood, Santa Monica and Westwood by visiting www.LAXFlyAway.org.
To celebrate the 100th day of FlyAway® service at Long Beach, airport employees will distribute gift bags at the Long Beach stop to the first 100 riders beginning 6 a.m. on Thursday, April 7, 2016.
FlyAway® buses depart from LAX and the Long Beach Transit Gallery stop, located on the northwest corner of First Street and Long Beach Boulevard, every hour on the half-hour, between 5:30 a.m. and 9:30 p.m., with a final trip leaving LAX at 10:30 p.m. Passengers are picked up and dropped off in front of each airline terminal at LAX. The trip takes less than an hour each way, depending upon traffic.

dirtyboy
04-06-16, 07:18 AM
Just take the Blue Line metro. The ride through Compton is worth the price alone.

indyfan31
04-06-16, 09:52 AM
Press release this afternoon from Los Angeles Area World Airports. It's a schlep but a lot cheaper than a taxi.

(Los Angeles, California – April 5, 2016) Travelers heading to the Grand Prix of Long Beach from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) April 15-17 can avoid the hassles of traffic, help reduce air pollution, and save cash by using the nonstop FlyAway® bus service to the Long Beach Transit Gallery. The 25-mile ride costs just $7 one way and the FlyAway® stop in Long Beach is a short walking distance to several hotels, the convention center, and entertainment centers that comprise the hub of racing activities.

That's actually a pretty good idea. :thumbup:

Easy
04-08-16, 09:02 PM
Just take the Blue Line metro. The ride through Compton is worth the price alone.

Seconded.

Ed_Severson
04-12-16, 09:31 AM
Since you guys brought it up ... anybody coming to the track this weekend? I know a few years ago someone here came looking for me (Anteater, I think) and got turned away by one of my teammates because of a mixup over screen name and real name (totally my fault, and I still feel bad about that).

Anyway, if anyone will be around, stop by the DCR truck and say hello. Just ask for Mike, but not Cannon -- the other one!

TravelGal
04-12-16, 02:50 PM
Since you guys brought it up ... anybody coming to the track this weekend? I know a few years ago someone here came looking for me (Anteater, I think) and got turned away by one of my teammates because of a mixup over screen name and real name (totally my fault, and I still feel bad about that).

Anyway, if anyone will be around, stop by the DCR truck and say hello. Just ask for Mike, but not Cannon -- the other one!

OK! I'm planning on being around on Saturday to meet up with Manic. I'll try to remember my TravelGal cap. :D

JohnHKart
04-16-16, 06:57 AM

Used to do it I don't live far from Long Beach. The last time I Blue Lined a drug dealing bro was on his cell phone saying "Yeah I got the best stuff N*****" . I didn't feel threatened , but that's enough of riding with that kind of riff raff. Now I drive and park a mile away and walk.

TravelGal
04-17-16, 01:34 PM
I went. I saw. I don't know quite what to say. I guess this post is dedicated to Rusty. Not sure if he comes in here much any more but I couldn't help thinking of him last night after I got home. Bear in mind that my last race was the 2008 Long Beach LAST RACE of Champ Car. Remembering that day, Helio admitting over the live loud speaker, "they asked me to let her pass" and quickly adding "I didn't know it was for position" and then having the grace to shut up; the last Champ Car Inner Circle dinner; Nelson Phillppe's impassioned speech about how we would always hold Champ Car in our hearts.

On the plus, it was a "happening" day: the stands were packed for qualifying. AND there were lots of people under them. The circle of food trucks was a fun idea, though lightly trafficked when I got there about 10 AM. I was glad to see so many faces I recognize still employed.

On the other, more nostalgic side, I noticed: 1) No one was wearing any swag. 'cept me, of course, with an ancient Vasser shirt (#8), which Jimmy got a laugh out of; 2) Hardly anyone in the Paddock. I guess the extra $27 was sufficiently off-putting. 3) "People" were enjoying themselves even though they knew nothing of what was going on. Viz, the gal who gave the dirty look to the "white-haired old man" who nearly cut her off on his scooter. I kinda wished I had had my camera ready. It was such a nice shot of Roger Penske. Worse, I never imagined how awful those cars could sound in person. And seeing them up close, "butt ugly" doesn't begin to cover it.

As for the rest of the day, I completely missed the trucks race. It took that long to get to the King Taco, buy my lunch, and eat it. At the end the day, the IMSA race started. Gorgeous cars in the later day light. Incredible sound. Manic kept urging me to tour their paddock and get to know the series. He is right. I left remembering the thrill I used to get when I attended races.

dando
04-17-16, 06:53 PM
I went. I saw. I don't know quite what to say. I guess this post is dedicated to Rusty. Not sure if he comes in here much any more but I couldn't help thinking of him last night after I got home. Bear in mind that my last race was the 2008 Long Beach LAST RACE of Champ Car. Remembering that day, Helio admitting over the live loud speaker, "they asked me to let her pass" and quickly adding "I didn't know it was for position" and then having the grace to shut up; the last Champ Car Inner Circle dinner; Nelson Phillppe's impassioned speech about how we would always hold Champ Car in our hearts.

On the plus, it was a "happening" day: the stands were packed for qualifying. AND there were lots of people under them. The circle of food trucks was a fun idea, though lightly trafficked when I got there about 10 AM. I was glad to see so many faces I recognize still employed.

On the other, more nostalgic side, I noticed: 1) No one was wearing any swag. 'cept me, of course, with an ancient Vasser shirt (#8), which Jimmy got a laugh out of; 2) Hardly anyone in the Paddock. I guess the extra $27 was sufficiently off-putting. 3) "People" were enjoying themselves even though they knew nothing of what was going on. Viz, the gal who gave the dirty look to the "white-haired old man" who nearly cut her off on his scooter. I kinda wished I had had my camera ready. It was such a nice shot of Roger Penske. Worse, I never imagined how awful those cars could sound in person. And seeing them up close, "butt ugly" doesn't begin to cover it.

As for the rest of the day, I completely missed the trucks race. It took that long to get to the King Taco, buy my lunch, and eat it. At the end the day, the IMSA race started. Gorgeous cars in the later day light. Incredible sound. Manic kept urging me to tour their paddock and get to know the series. He is right. I left remembering the thrill I used to get when I attended races.

Shoulda had the 'Vasserized' cone from Herta's ride from the original US 500, which was on display here in a local watering hole (Bumpers). Rahal and team used to hang out there. :)

G.
04-17-16, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the post TravelGal, although I don't think I can say that I "enjoyed" it. You know what I mean.

At the end the day, the IMSA race started. Gorgeous cars in the later day light. Incredible sound. Manic kept urging me to tour their paddock and get to know the series. He is right. I left remembering the thrill I used to get when I attended races.

The IMSA is an unusual beast that has the potential to be so HUGE, but the opportunity to be horrid. Lots of opportunity. Opportunity + NASCAR equals ??

What's both cool and sad at the same time is that you can see IMSA drivers walking around all over the place at the track, since no one knows who the hell they are (except for maybe McDreamy and Legge).

pfc_m_drake
04-17-16, 08:32 PM
At the end the day, the IMSA race started. Gorgeous cars in the later day light.
As I was watching the IMSA race on TV today I had the same feeling. The later day light reminded me of all the times I used to goto the CART race in Toronto, and watching the support races later in the day with that 'end of the day' light out. Seeing that on TV made me remember how much I used to have.

Too nostalgic for my own good I guess...

Ed_Severson
04-17-16, 11:45 PM
I went. I saw. I don't know quite what to say.

We get that a lot these days. :\

It was very nice to finally meet you ... thanks for stopping by!