PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix

Lux Interior
04-03-16, 07:39 AM
Decided to watch Phoenix yesterday after a long break from paying attention to any open wheel or really any racing at all.

Not very many people there, and not very exciting.

Paul Tracy thinks it stinks too. You can just tell by his voice. He can't actually say it of course, but you can tell what he is thinking.

Not sure how (or why) this series is surviving right now.

The aero on those cars has to be the ugliest thing I have even seen and I have watched a lot of racing. Ugh:confused:

TravelGal
04-03-16, 02:38 PM
At least PT was THERE as an announcer. Unlike the disaster of the yapper and the sleazebag (I sound like dando, don't I?)

I figure PT will get a lot of flak for saying Dixon is boring to watch. He realized it and immediately tried to take it back by saying how good he was, never makes a mistake, etc., but he'll be told not to say that again about the race winner. Pags as points leader? My, my.

As to the race, such as it was, I guess the H in RHR stands for Hosed.

In other news, there must be some money somewhere. Yesterday's LA Times had a FULL page COLOR ad for the LBGP. That set somebody back a pretty penny.

cameraman
04-03-16, 03:13 PM
Yesterday's LA Times had a FULL page COLOR ad for the LBGP. That set somebody back a pretty penny.

Sadly not nearly as much as it used to cost before the circulation numbers tanked

Hard Driver
04-03-16, 03:30 PM
I'll take a mile oval over a Fontana or some high banked place that is not designed and does not work for Indycars.

As for the race, I am a road racing fan more, so sure, it was a typical boring oval race in a way. But for an oval, there was decent passing and decent racing.

I think the enclosed rear tires/bumbers certainly make them resemble a LeMans prototype car in some ways. I think the design could be sleeker, but in reality, they are going to move more towards that, then back to old school single seaters. Canopy's are next.

Even Red Bull F1 concepts look like this, even with headlights:
http://i0.wp.com/www.grandprix247.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/closed-F1-cockpit-red-bull.jpg

Old open wheels cars with their wheels exposed will one day look like old indycars with no roll bars.. people will just think it was stupid.

rabbit
04-06-16, 03:28 PM
PT and TBell are great in the booth. Best in the business. :thumbup:

As far as the on-track, I thought it was actually a pretty decent race with plenty of plots twists. To win on the mile-ovals, you need to be fast, not make mistakes, and have a little luck go your way, which is exactly what Dixon did.

But yes, the cars/aero kits are hideous. :yuck:

stroker
04-06-16, 07:51 PM
But what the rest of us want to know, is whether Marlo Klain got married again? ;)