PDA

View Full Version : And so it ends...

cameraman
03-19-16, 11:05 PM
One and done. The teams just voted to return to the old qualifying system with the next race.

:eek::shakehead::rolleyes:

opinionated ow
03-20-16, 12:05 AM
One and done. The teams just voted to return to the old qualifying system with the next race.

:eek::shakehead::rolleyes:

bahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha *breathe* bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:rofl::rofl::rofl:

cameraman
03-25-16, 01:49 AM
Or it doesn't end as Jean Todt & Bernie Ecclestone pulled their usual FIA political bs and preserved the new rules for Bahrain.

:flaming:

Insomniac
03-25-16, 11:04 AM
Geez, now I see why this format even came about:

The year started with the 2015 qualifying format in place, only for Ecclestone to decide he wanted a change in an effort to spice up the racing weekend.

He gave the teams two options:

adopt the new elimination format;
or keep the 2015 arrangement and have the top eight re-ordered afterwards, moving the fastest cars backwards on the grid.

They went for the elimination format, something Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff described as the "least worst option".
http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35896875

I don't know how you reverse the order. Then Q3 becomes who can run the slowest lap?

cameraman
03-25-16, 12:21 PM
Geez, now I see why this format even came about:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35896875

I don't know how you reverse the order. Then Q3 becomes who can run the slowest lap?

You reverse the order by have two races on the weekend and you use the first race to set the grid for the second. See GP2.
It seems Bernie is too addled to realize that there is only one race per weekend in F1:shakehead:

Insomniac
03-26-16, 09:35 AM
You reverse the order by have two races on the weekend and you use the first race to set the grid for the second. See GP2.
It seems Bernie is too addled to realize that there is only one race per weekend in F1:shakehead:

I guess they need to award points for qualifying then.

cameraman
03-26-16, 03:23 PM
Or just go back to the old system which worked just fine.

Insomniac
03-28-16, 01:51 PM
Or just go back to the old system which worked just fine.

I'm with you. The focus needs to be on the aero to get rid of all the downforce. They keep making the engines weaker and compensating via aero. Go the other way.

Insomniac
04-02-16, 06:34 PM
This qualifying went a little better but it's just not going to work. The point about re-fueling is dead on. Q2 ended early because everyone went out as light as they could to get their best lap.

The only way this knockout stuff works is to go on a per-lap basis. It would essentially be a semi-race. Get all the cars out there, a couple warm up laps and then go. Slowest car each lap is out until last car standing after 22 laps.

One crazy/interesting thing with that idea is tire and fuel choices. You could go with softs and less fuel knowing you can't do 22 laps, but maybe you end up starting 12 instead of 18. Could also have a 120% rule or something to ensure no cars slow on track. Also probably have to use FP3 times to determine the order of the cars to keep traffic down.

I don't understand why everyone gets an extra set of tires, but Q3 drivers have to give them back.

cameraman
04-03-16, 05:16 AM
This current plan does not work because the cars are fueled for a single attempt and can not be refueled in time for a second attempt. The clock doesn't matter either you hit it on your first attempt or you don't. Just ask Kyvat.

opinionated ow
04-03-16, 06:00 AM
You know your qualifying format blows when even grandprix.com is bagging it

While the fans disliked the new knockout qualifying that debuted in Australia, the format was kept for round two in Bahrain. It was as bad if not worse this time around, although there was a bit of excitement when Lewis Hamilton grabbed the pole away from Ferrari in Q3 with a new lap record of 1:29.493.
http://www.grandprix.com/race/r937q1report.html

Insomniac
04-03-16, 11:16 AM
No change yet. They left with a new proposal. Fastest 2 laps in the session for a combined time. It's simpler for sure. They'll decide on Thursday to give teams time to mull it over. Already talk about tires.

I refined my alternative plan since it's clear they don't want the old way back.

General

3 Sessions
Each one has an out lap and maybe a warm-up lap depending on if the cars can get the tires up to temperature.
Lap times reset each lap
Failure to complete a required lap = elimination (for multiple cars, fall back to previous lap time to set order)
If you stop on track, you start from pit lane (aside: how in the world is a yellow/red flag handled now?)
Minimum lap time to ensure no impediment on in laps (grid penalty or elimination for failure)
Usual local yellow or red flag and restart (no safety car)

Q1

7 laps
Order set by FP3 times
Slowest car eliminated each lap, lap times don't carry over at all
Top 10 cars on lap 1 automatically advance to Q2 and may pit

Q2

7 laps
Order set by Top 10 + last lap Q2 times
Top 5 cars on lap 1 automatically advance to Q3 and may pit

Q3

7 laps
Order set by Top 5 + last lap Q3 times

opinionated ow
04-03-16, 11:48 PM
I've got a simpler idea. Practise 3 on Saturday goes for 3 hours. You can use as many engines and tyres as you like. At the end of the day he who sets the fastest lap starts first. At the end of P3 the cars are run through scrutineering and then released back to the teams to prepare them for race day. on race day you have a 20 minute warmup session 4 hours before the race and voila.