PDA

View Full Version : Any BIRD people out there?

NismoZ
03-11-16, 03:53 PM
I don't know exactly when we became a major flyway, and I've lived within 6 or 8 blocks of this home all my life, but... a few years ago, always within of few days of NOW, the Sandhill Cranes began to fly DIRECTLY over my house! (Usually WAAAAY up there!) We used to see them by the THOUSANDS...on the ground in Nebraska along the Platte...(on our way to see my sister in Denver for Spring Break.) I'd never seen or even HEARD of a Sandhill until then. BOY, do I HEAR them now! (My guess is...they are not an endangered spices!?)

We DO live in a fairly major river valley, way east of the Mississippi...did that one get over-crowded or something?:) Watching these beautiful creations is transfixing! You can hear them long before you can see them, sometimes just a very small (scouting) group? Rest assured...HUGE flights soon follow! I quit counting at 1000...TODAY'S flyover has been going on for over an hour now. Due north...as far as the freaking Arctic Circle! THIS area is now dotted with lots of new retention ponds, creeks and small wetlands...and golf courses...where that Sandhill "song" woke me up one morning. Walked the dog and took the binocs over that way where just TWO were checking out the 1st fairway near a large pond. Yikes, closest I'd ever been...about
4ft tall...wingspan even wider? Redface beauties!

Been over 2 hours now...still going... 5000? Most I've ever seen in one day. Louisiana must be a much quieter place today! GodSpeed Sandhills!!.... (sorry for such a long post...hope some of you read it:))

cameraman
03-11-16, 04:16 PM
They are moving earlier than usual this year and are doing so in larger groups than have been seen in years. The strange weather has changed their migration this year.

dando
03-11-16, 04:18 PM
Ya need to see the squadrons of Geese we have in Cbus. :saywhat: A few years ago we had a late winter after a brief thaw, so the robins came back early. They were starving and flying into cars. :( I put mealworms on the driveway to help as best I could. I also kept 4 bird feeders in the backyard. We also had a few bald eagles living in the 'hood as well (Scioto river valley), as well as many hooters. :)

NismoZ
03-11-16, 05:27 PM
Interesting...forgot to say I live in Robin and Cardinal country...and in JANUARY saw at least 30 Robins clustered in a couple of big ol' Maples... very unusual...NEVER used to see them much before mid-March...they had WEEKS of snow and below freezing days, WAY below, to face. I THOUGHT they were bug and worm eaters but I'm happy to still hear them chirping away!:thumbup:

dando
03-12-16, 12:07 AM
Interesting...forgot to say I live in Robin and Cardinal country...and in JANUARY saw at least 30 Robins clustered in a couple of big ol' Maples... very unusual...NEVER used to see them much before mid-March...they had WEEKS of snow and below freezing days, WAY below, to face. I THOUGHT they were bug and worm eaters but I'm happy to still hear them chirping away!:thumbup:

We had a family of cardinals that feasted on the various bird feeds, but mainly sunflower seeds. Robins hit up the worms. When the ground froze up after false spring, they were SOL. :( Robins are out here in force here now due to the warm winter. I miss hearing my who (my maternal grandmother was a HUGE owl fan). Now I have tree rats eating my corn treats. :) They never went to sleep this season. I see them daily climbing up the big Oak in front of my apartment.

SteveH
03-12-16, 12:41 AM
I live in NW Indiana about 30 miles from the Pulaski Jasper Wildlife Preserve (http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3109.htm) which is a major migration stop for Sand Hills. Amazing place to visit in the fall. One year I stood of a viewing platform overlooking a meadow with thousand of sand hills while a huge white tail buck strutted through them like he owned the place.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/images/fw-shcranes(2).jpg

It's not unusual to see robins year round. Have seen them flock together as well. Not sure where they get their nourishment. Cardinals are always prevalent. But then, we place multiple types of birdfood out. Cardinals like black sunflower seeds and safflower seeds.

dando
03-12-16, 01:58 AM
I live in NW Indiana about 30 miles from the Pulaski Jasper Wildlife Preserve (http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3109.htm) which is a major migration stop for Sand Hills. Amazing place to visit in the fall. One year I stood of a viewing platform overlooking a meadow with thousand of sand hills while a huge white tail buck strutted through them like he owned the place.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/images/fw-shcranes(2).jpg

It's not unusual to see robins year round. Have seen them flock together as well. Not sure where they get their nourishment. Cardinals are always prevalent. But then, we place multiple types of birdfood out. Cardinals like black sunflower seeds and safflower seeds.

Yeah, I've seen more and more Robins during the winter season the past few years. They mainly eat worms...some bugs, too. ~5 years ago we had an early 'spring', but then heavy snow at Easter. Disaster. They generally don't migrate here until real spring. When the ground freezes, it's hard to get to the worms. I frequent Wild Birds Unlimited for my supplies. :) I also have hummingbird feeders out, but they tend to attract wasps...especially in a river valley area. :\ When I lived by the Scioto River, I had to nuke 3-4 mud wasp nests every year.

dando
03-12-16, 01:01 PM
Our annual 'groundhog day'...

https://www.ohiotraveler.com/hinckley-home-of-the-buzzard/

:)

SteveH
03-12-16, 04:13 PM
Just a couple of hours ago when I was out I heard the unmistakable sound of sand hill cranes. Took a while to locate them. They were quite high and flying away from me. Their call must be quite loud.

dando
03-12-16, 05:55 PM
I also enjoy watching these guys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjUDblaW-Vc

;)

TKGAngel
03-12-16, 08:58 PM
We have a turkey that loiters outside my office building. It is not uncommon to see her (we assume its a her, though no one has gotten close enough to check) staring into one of the building's windows or sitting on top of someone's car in the parking lot.

dando
03-12-16, 10:08 PM
We have a turkey that loiters outside my office building. It is not uncommon to see her (we assume its a her, though no one has gotten close enough to check) staring into one of the building's windows or sitting on top of someone's car in the parking lot.

I follow a couple of DIS FB and Twitter groups...they also hit up WDW. :)

TravelGal
03-13-16, 02:15 AM
NismoZ, what a great post. I loved reading it. I wish I had something to add about birds. All I can say is that the tree sparrows are already nesting in our street sign. They usually start in late April. We've had hummingbirds all winter for the first time in 30 years. My guess is they never left for wherever they used to go. And the rose bushes in the front yard are in full bloom.

SteveH
03-13-16, 09:55 AM
Interesting TG that you had hummers all year. No one is exactly sure what triggers migration in hummingbirds from what I've read. However there are places where they don't including the Pacific coast. So, whatever trigger causes migration must not have been present in your area this year. Or are you seeing hummers that migrated south to your area while the birds in your area went further south? Midwest hummers can fly across the Gulf of Mexico. They have been found on deep sea oil rigs. Which would be an amazing feat for a much more robust bird. But a hummer? Absolutely amazing. I'll put out two feeders around the first of May. They will be around until the end of Sept.

dando
03-13-16, 01:48 PM
NismoZ, what a great post. I loved reading it. I wish I had something to add about birds. All I can say is that the tree sparrows are already nesting in our street sign. They usually start in late April. We've had hummingbirds all winter for the first time in 30 years. My guess is they never left for wherever they used to go. And the rose bushes in the front yard are in full bloom.

And the Mojave is in full bloom...

http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Death-Valley-National-Park-super-bloom-wildflowers-6848910.php

EDIT: side note...do the swallows make it down to SoCal?

TravelGal
03-13-16, 02:32 PM
Interesting TG that you had hummers all year. No one is exactly sure what triggers migration in hummingbirds from what I've read. However there are places where they don't including the Pacific coast. So, whatever trigger causes migration must not have been present in your area this year. Or are you seeing hummers that migrated south to your area while the birds in your area went further south? Midwest hummers can fly across the Gulf of Mexico. They have been found on deep sea oil rigs. Which would be an amazing feat for a much more robust bird. But a hummer? Absolutely amazing. I'll put out two feeders around the first of May. They will be around until the end of Sept.

I'm glad you brought that up because just yesterday I saw a different brand. Haha. Try as I might, can't seem to keep the various types straight. This was one we almost never see. The more common type, I think. Straight, lithe body with completely black head and neck. All the others have been our usual suspects.

And the Mojave is in full bloom...

http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Death-Valley-National-Park-super-bloom-wildflowers-6848910.php

EDIT: side note...do the swallows make it down to SoCal?

I wish I could get out there to see the super bloom. It's in the papers all the time. The official "Swallow Day" is March 19. Last time I was at the mission was years ago. At that time, they said there were only a very few that still came back. :(

dando
03-13-16, 06:15 PM
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/midwestbird/

BTW, Jack Hanna's latest Out Into The Wild was on Baldies and Owls being rescued in TN. If you have Hulu, check it out.

http://www.jackhanna.com/intothewild/

:)

nrc
03-13-16, 08:17 PM
We have a bird feeder by the window and a bag of fur hanging in a tree. Does that count?

We get a pair of ducks that routinely visit in the spring to troll in the water on our pool cover. They've been disappointed to find it dry the last couple of years since I've been pumping the water off.

dando
03-13-16, 08:27 PM
We have a bird feeder by the window and a bag of fur hanging in a tree. Does that count?

We get a pair of ducks that routinely visit in the spring to troll in the water on our pool cover. They've been disappointed to find it dry the last couple of years since I've been pumping the water off.

That's just mean. ;) We have duck crossing signs in Dublin, but the geese think they have the right of way. :\ Somehow they understand the roundabouts better than drivers. :gomer: :irked:

SteveH
03-13-16, 08:37 PM
Dublin? You ever run into Eric Clapton? I ate at the Montgomery Inn a few years ago and he was at the next table with his girls. I was like wtf is going on, wasn't aware he lived in the area.

/threadjack

dando
03-13-16, 09:08 PM
Dublin? You ever run into Eric Clapton? I ate at the Montgomery Inn a few years ago and he was at the next table with his girls. I was like wtf is going on, wasn't aware he lived in the area.

/threadjack

He does. He has a pad off Hayden Run and Dublin Road. Huuuuge place. </Trump> I've run into many a local celeb in the area...Brack, Rahal, and some golfers during The Memorial Tourney (John Daly having a few). Never seen Slowhand, but I know where his place is. :)

Now back on topic, we also have a lot...I man A LOT of gulls in the area. We have a large reservoir in the area, but they like to congregate in a local Kroger parking lot a few miles away from the Cbus Zoo. Drives me nuts. :irked:

dando
03-17-16, 01:55 PM
To the tune of The Boys Are Back In Town...The birds are back in town, the birds are back, the birds are back...

http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.com/2016/03/16/hinckley-abuzz-as-buzzards-make-annual-return/

We use them as road kill cleaners. ;)

dando
03-17-16, 04:18 PM
Don't piss off mom...she'll kick yer ass.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2016/03/17/live-camera-shows-baby-bald-eagle-is-starting-to-hatch-at-national-arboretum/

;)

NismoZ
03-18-16, 07:03 PM
My intro to bird habits was an old Daffy Duck cartoon...Daffy waits too long to fly south, gets caught in a SERIOUS blizzard... but luckily he spies below, a warm inviting cabin in the woods! A soft light shines from a window and smoke curls up from the chimney of an obviously inviting, warm fireplace. He's SAVED! Daffy lands, walks up to the door panting and exhausted...as I recall he pounds on the door begging help for a "hungry and weary traveler" and... You guessed it...IT'S ELMER FUDDS cabin!! The rest (of course) is Elmer trying to get him into a frying pan! Geez...you think that is on YouTube or something?...haven't even THOUGHT about for over 50 yrs or so!:D

TravelGal
03-18-16, 08:00 PM
My intro to bird habits was an old Daffy Duck cartoon...Daffy waits too long to fly south, gets caught in a SERIOUS blizzard... but luckily he spies below, a warm inviting cabin in the woods! A soft light shines from a window and smoke curls up from the chimney of an obviously inviting, warm fireplace. He's SAVED! Daffy lands, walks up to the door panting and exhausted...as I recall he pounds on the door begging help for a "hungry and weary traveler" and... You guessed it...IT'S ELMER FUDDS cabin!! The rest (of course) is Elmer trying to get him into a frying pan! Geez...you think that is on YouTube or something?...haven't even THOUGHT about for over 50 yrs or so!:D

The worst (?) part of this is that I remember it all so clearly. LOL!

SteveH
03-18-16, 09:58 PM
ggBENUGjw2o

dando
03-19-16, 02:59 AM
I'll raise you one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ocaZb-bGg

TKGAngel
03-19-16, 08:26 AM
That "duck season! rabbit season!" clip never fails to make me laugh.

Back to real birdies, one of the eagle eggs in the nest at the National Arboretum hatched and they think the second egg will hatch this weekend.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/18/470934639/baby-eaglet-emerges-from-its-egg-on-d-c-eagle-cam

dando
03-19-16, 12:38 PM
That "duck season! rabbit season!" clip never fails to make me laugh.

Back to real birdies, one of the eagle eggs in the nest at the National Arboretum hatched and they think the second egg will hatch this weekend.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/18/470934639/baby-eaglet-emerges-from-its-egg-on-d-c-eagle-cam

The eagle cam is amazing...especially watching her feed #1. I think I saw on Today this AM that they are expecting #2 tomorrow, but I was still dazed from last night's NC2A action. :saywhat:

NismoZ
03-19-16, 02:35 PM
STEVE! I FOUND that one...and I DO recall it ALSO...I loved those WWll "Buy Bonds" and Hitler-mocking cartoons, 1943 (saw it on TV, PLEASE, I wasn't a kid in 1943!:D)...but (I THINK) I'm certain:gomer: the one I was talking about was later AND in color. I quit looking after about 200 titles, they MUST have redone certain themes as time went on??...interesting to see how ol' Daffy changed over the years...How 'bout Daffy playing Robin Hood' yelling UP-UP-and -AWAAAY as he swung on a rope and kept smacking into a tree!? Those Chuck Jones cartoons with "voice characterizations" by Mel Blanc are PRICELESS! Not EVERY Saturday morning movie in the mid-50s was preceeded by a WBs Cartoon but when Porky Pig burst out of the their logo and the familiar music started...all us kids just CHEERED. My sister was 9 years older than me (YES, good ol' Dad let it slip YEARS later that I was "sort of a surprise!":rofl:) and her job was to get me out of the house so Mom could recover a little...I cried a lot! (:D Had an older brother, too!:rolleyes:) Hope Jones and Blanc won OSCARS... because they DESERVED them!:thumbup:

NismoZ
03-19-16, 02:44 PM
Oh, and thanks for THAT, dando...now I have something to do for the NEXT 4 1/2 HOURS! Good thing Spring hasn't SPRUNG yet...around here, anyway!

NismoZ
03-19-16, 02:46 PM
One MORE thing just hit me...How many kids NOW try to mimic the "Th Th ThTh ...THATS ALL FOLKS!" We did!:gomer:

NismoZ
03-19-16, 03:04 PM
And ANOTHER thing!...Eagles!...I can go down to our state champion public library, walk up to a quiet reading room with a view overlooking the river and THERE THEY ARE! Used to have to drive half the day up into Wisconsin to see them. (to a place with a motel built into/on a cliff overlooking the Mississippi...someone here must know where that is/was??) I THINK that's where we crossed over from MinneSOta to/from Wisconsin? Didn't go back for YEARS until my wife JUST HAD to go to The Mall of America!:shakehead:

dando
03-19-16, 10:48 PM
Mr. is hanging out with Mrs. now. :)

http://www.eagles.org/dceaglecam/

EDIT: And now Mr. took over nesting duties. :)

dando
03-20-16, 07:01 PM
#2 has hatched today as expected/anticpated. :thumbup: :thumbup: :cool: