PDA

View Full Version : COTA World Challenge

NismoZ
03-04-16, 11:05 PM
Practice today, Quals tomorrow! Over 100 entries, 7 classes... 19in GT, 18in GTS...that's a pretty good field...add 15 more in GTA and GTCup. The big ol' Bentleys are back, not with Dyson but run by Team Absolute...Just in from Asia! KPAX will run a THREE car McLaren effort. Parente, Thompson and Austin Cindric. (movin' on up!:thumbup:)) Dime Racing will enter THREE Mercedes AMG GT3s. NICE. Johnny Oconnell back with Cadillac trying for a FIFTH consecutive GT title. Incredible. Michael Cooper is in the 2nd Cadillac and is FAST! The GTS worries me...a little. The Sin R1 GT4, KTM X-Bows, GinettaGT4s and 3-4 teams with Maserati GT MCs. Yow! Even Jack Baldwin trying to run a Maser not a Porsche Cayman. Those quick, light, FAST cars will change the face of that class.

In practice today James Davison and Bryan Heitkotter were 1st and 3rd in Nissan GTRs, Cooper and Oconnell 2 & 4 in the Cadillacs and ANDREW DAVIS 5th in a 911 GT3R. Oh, and Pat Long is back in a Porsche, too! In GTS it was a Ginetta, a Camaro, 2 KTM XBows and a Mustang with the top 5 times.

So many great cars (Aston Martin Vantage to arrive soon?) excellent drivers and close competition! I recall a race last year with TEN mfgrs, in the top 10 positions at one point! That's nuts...entertaining and fun to watch.:thumbup:

opinionated ow
03-05-16, 06:12 AM
Got to give those guys credit, they've built a pretty impressive product. There are a few GT3 cars in sheds though...would be nice to have them back. The shift to GT4 options in GTS is interesting. I'm a big fan of the Touring Car races though-sometimes it is better than the other options.

In related news, huge TransAm fields at Sebring this weekend.

SteveH
03-05-16, 10:12 AM
In related news, huge TransAm fields at Sebring this weekend.

Trans Am is 50 years old this year. First race was March 25, 1966 at Sebring. :thumbup:

NismoZ
03-05-16, 11:45 AM
How could I have forgotten to mention "The Return of The Red Dragon"!? Jon Fogarty in the 99 Gainsco McLaren 650s GT3. Great little "comeback" video on the PWC website...take a look, www.world-challenge.com

NismoZ
03-05-16, 12:10 PM
As one who "race-fanned" my way through the original (REAL ;)) Trans Am, I won't say there are many favorable comparisons... BUT these tube-framed, spec-bodied cars LOOK good, sound good, RACE well...and even if it is an SCCA series for old rich guys to play in, it serves a purpose.and is AFFORDABLE. You know, as compared to what manufacturers did to it long ago. Hey, Dallenbach Jr. will be in it. Greg Pickett! HUGE entry list, TA,TA2-3-4-5...TA2 is where the best competition has been and will often run races of their own. The TA2 title was decided between Adam Andretti and Gar Robinson in the last race in '15... Last lap I think? The Sebring opener is run with an SVRA vintage race also...(I wonder how many original TA cars will run? A real 50th Trans Am birthday! Wish I was there!)...OK, FINE...Mark Donohue was my guy and Penske was crushing the competition in '68 when Meadowdale held it's last major event....sigh.

SteveH
03-05-16, 12:33 PM
I got to witness Donohue and Revson dominate in Penske Javelins on the road course at MIS in 71.

opinionated ow
03-06-16, 01:28 AM
As one who "race-fanned" my way through the original (REAL ;)) Trans Am, I won't say there are many favorable comparisons... BUT these tube-framed, spec-bodied cars LOOK good, sound good, RACE well...and even if it is an SCCA series for old rich guys to play in, it serves a purpose.and is AFFORDABLE. You know, as compared to what manufacturers did to it long ago. Hey, Dallenbach Jr. will be in it. Greg Pickett! HUGE entry list, TA,TA2-3-4-5...TA2 is where the best competition has been and will often run races of their own. The TA2 title was decided between Adam Andretti and Gar Robinson in the last race in '15... Last lap I think? The Sebring opener is run with an SVRA vintage race also...(I wonder how many original TA cars will run? A real 50th Trans Am birthday! Wish I was there!)...OK, FINE...Mark Donohue was my guy and Penske was crushing the competition in '68 when Meadowdale held it's last major event....sigh.

The TA cars are definitely proper old school racing monsters. But that's why I like them. No trick nonsense to try and "improve the racing." Just pure unadulterated flat out 160km races. I wouldn't call them spec bodies either-last year I saw two different camaros, three different corvettes, jaguar, mustang, cadillac all in top line competition.

Are the TA2 cars just symmetrical late models? I know they run cross ply tyres but given manufacturers are Howe & Cope I do wonder.

NismoZ
03-06-16, 09:56 AM
There are different frame builders (like NASCAR) and perhaps I should have said "approved" bodywork. Some just haven't moved up to the "newer" bodies yet ($$$?)...at RA last year the newer "Corvettes" seem to have benefitted from more aero advantages of the latest approved (not mandated) bodies. The reason for the popularity of TA2 is economic. 500+ hp delivers a great car and close competition at a bargain price compared to the faster but more expensive 850hp TA cars. And I haven't even sorted out the TA 3-4-& 5 yet... Something for everyone! There is certainly a WIDE range of driver talent visible as well. Easier to buy your way IN than RACE to the top! I think Cameron Lawrence was the best I saw in TA and has since moved on (and up?) in his career. Good luck to him! (Great YouTube in-car videos of his battles with Adam Andretti... Andretti always started faster, usually qualified faster but would run his tires away then Lawrence would slip by. Smart young driver.)

NismoZ
03-06-16, 10:33 AM
AND!...He's BAAAACK! Patrick Long certainly made a return to remember and WHATEVER the reason was for the move...I'm glad he has made it! Passed in turn one on the start at COTA by Heitkotter's GTR, Long remained patient then with 10-9 min. to go set up & pulled a textbook repass for the lead. Drew out to a 3 sec. lead, held it and won. Talk about a "technical" win? This was IT! Michael Cooper 3rd for Cadillac ahead of Davison's GTR and Johnny O! TOLD You Cooper was fast...finishes 2 spots ahead of his 4-time champ team mate! Race 2 today...the live streaming works great...the same one they broadcast later on CBS Sports TV...but the "commercials" are just dead-air time an we get to listen to the CARS instead of jabber-jaws!:thumbup:

NismoZ
03-07-16, 02:35 PM
Well, he WAS back...but it remains to be seen if Effort Racing's crew (and helpers from Porsche) can repair the once brand new GT3R in time to make the start at St. Pete! Davison's GTR punted Long into the wall at the start of Round 2 on Sunday....with more damage to the car than driver, thankfully! After a black flag & penalty for Davison (gee, avoidable contact?) things sorted out and BY GOSH we have a Cadillac 1-2 and Jonny O wins ANOTHER one! (great textbook pass for the lead) Teammate Michael Cooper 2nd, Jon Fogarty gives the Gainsco 650S a good 3rd. Several penalties for "exceeding track limits." "Don't put 4 wheels across that 2nd white line!" COTA of course was designed for F-1 and there is a LOT of pavement one shouldn't drive on!...to gain an advantage. You know, like turning the esses into just an ES! Or the final CORNER into a more gentle and faster CURVE! They all know the next race at St. Pete pretty much solves that problem...with CONCRETE WALLS. Do NOT attempt to exceed THOSE!:gomer: Sad for Long, happy for Oconnell...SHOULD be a good season!:thumbup:

NismoZ
03-08-16, 10:19 AM
Maybe the variety of tracks will make a difference but in the GTS class in Round 2 @ COTA those little, light, agile FAST GT4 KTM X-Bows ( I THINK the street version is correctly called the CROSS Bow, and the race version is referred to as the EX-Bow?) Whatever. Along with the Lotus Evora and the Ginetta GT4s (which actually LOOK like a "proper;) GT car) the scrum between the big, honkin' Camaros and Boss302 Mustangs may not be the big story.) Once again the infamous BOP (balance of performance) may be decisive...I didn't hear WHICH car, but some have been given 300! pounds of ballast!? :eek:. So, an X-Bow wins, the champ (and round 1 winner) Lawson Aschenbach, finishes 2nd in the Black Dog Camaro, a Lotus Evora takes 3rd after earlier blowing off a V-12 Aston Martin Vantage! Doesn't seem right somehow.:(