PDA

View Full Version : Gitcher Indy Tickets!

nrc
02-08-16, 12:34 AM
I recall a time when there was about a hundred year waiting list for Indy tickets. Now they're running Super Bowl ads trying to sell tickets.

chop456
02-08-16, 03:05 AM
It's not that their popularity is waning. Their appeal is just becoming more selective.

stroker
02-08-16, 10:35 PM
It's not that their popularity is waning. Their appeal is just becoming more selective.

Maybe there is hope for them after all--the same thing happened to Spinal Tap!

gerhard911
02-08-16, 11:08 PM
I recall a time when there was about a hundred year waiting list for Indy tickets. Now they're running Super Bowl ads trying to sell tickets.

Apparently only in Indy, Ft Wayne, Terra Haute, Lafayette, Dayton and Cowtown :gomer: :rofl:

I can only assume they knew it would be a waste of money on the sophisticated people of Cincy, Cleveburg & Chi-town. :D

TravelGal
02-09-16, 12:05 PM
We are going this year and are being told that the super duper galuper tickets cost $500 each on the resale market. Any of you brilliant haters have a better idea? Thanks. :\

Ed_Severson
02-09-16, 12:38 PM
Where is it that you're trying to sit?

Also, I insist that you come by the garage and say hello.

SteveH
02-09-16, 12:46 PM
We are going this year and are being told that the super duper galuper tickets cost $500 each on the resale market. Any of you brilliant haters have a better idea? Thanks. :\

Ha! I just checked StubHub and some of the prices are stupidly stupid. Even when it sold out I knew of people that would purchase their tickets for great seats shortly before the race at (sometimes) less than face value. However, since you will be attending for the first time and should see the circus in all its glory, you probably should purchase in advance.

See this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/INDYCAR/comments/31ccx4/should_i_buy_indy_500_tickets_online_or_from_a/?)on Reddit

There are usually tickets for sale on TrackForum leading up to the race, not sure of quality though. Indy has a lot of poor seats, although less now than when I used to go. Lower seating in just about any section should be avoided.

Tips on where to sit (http://indymotorspeedway.com/500sit.html)

Seriously consider sitting under a roof/in the shade. Unless you like to fry in the sun/or enjoy getting rained upon. Both could happen on the same day. It's a Hoosier thing. :gomer:

Once you have narrowed down your ticket search, try this (http://seats3d.com/racetracks/indianapolis_motor_speedway/1/mobile/#/level_1/)to see what the view will be like.

TKGAngel
02-09-16, 04:24 PM
Apparently only in Indy, Ft Wayne, Terra Haute, Lafayette, Dayton and Cowtown :gomer: :rofl:

I can only assume they knew it would be a waste of money on the sophisticated people of Cincy, Cleveburg & Chi-town. :D

A waste of a lot of money. Those are much bigger DMA's that the chosen markets. Bigger market = bigger $$, especially for large events like the Superb Owl.

gerhard911
02-09-16, 05:51 PM
I am betting little or no money was paid in the markets where the ads ran. More likely the spudway just comped tix & spiffs to the station management :gomer:

WKRC no doubt told them to go pound sand. :laugh:

TravelGal
02-09-16, 06:06 PM
Seriously consider sitting under a roof/in the shade. Unless you like to fry in the sun/or enjoy getting rained upon. Both could happen on the same day. It's a Hoosier thing. :gomer:

Thanks for all the references. I think I'll leave it to Sports Empire. They have been doing the 500 for decades. The owner is a good friend of ours. She said most years she sells 20 passengers, tops. Last August we were the last two to sign up in her allotment of 80.

I gave up my Hoosier passport after two years in the 1970's. We're definitely buying the under cover seats. After having hot pit passes during races, I'm sure the view will be, shall we say, distant. Times change. I was under cover then; I'll be under cover now. Same but different. :cry:

SteveH
02-09-16, 06:17 PM

How many of these markets are under the live broadcast blackout? For sure Indy. I would assume Terre Haute and Lafayette is, probably Ft. Wayne as well.