PDA

View Full Version : The problem with American sports car racing

opinionated ow
01-09-16, 10:17 AM
I've spent a fair bit of time watching Trans-Am, Continental Tyre Sports Car Series & Pirelli World Challenge the last few weeks. The racing is enjoyable and the cars are great but race control in all of them leaves heaps to be desired. I'm currently watching the PWC at Mosport. There was a 3 car incident on the opening (or maybe 2nd) lap and 20 minutes of the race was lost to that one safety car period. It seems to be a common trait across ALL IMSA and SCCA sanctioned racing. What gives? How can it take so long to clear the cars in the states, a process that on average would take 2 or 3 laps max in the rest of the world?

mapguy
01-10-16, 07:53 AM
I've spent a fair bit of time watching Trans-Am, Continental Tyre Sports Car Series & Pirelli World Challenge the last few weeks. The racing is enjoyable and the cars are great but race control in all of them leaves heaps to be desired. I'm currently watching the PWC at Mosport. There was a 3 car incident on the opening (or maybe 2nd) lap and 20 minutes of the race was lost to that one safety car period. It seems to be a common trait across ALL IMSA and SCCA sanctioned racing. What gives? How can it take so long to clear the cars in the states, a process that on average would take 2 or 3 laps max in the rest of the world?

When you get to the end of the Mosport one you'll see one of the Porsche Challenge cars in the wall at turn 8. That marshal talking to the driver is me.. :D

NismoZ
01-17-16, 11:10 AM
THE problem? There are MANY:)...BUT:D...I see expanding fields, excellent "new" drivers, new cars, growing factory interest, sprint race formats. The on-track management problems have dogged the sport here for a long time and will NEVER please everyone. All I can say is...safety is Job #1 and erring on THAT side has to be the choice if an error is to be made. I won't get into any specific incidents but I have "race-fanned" my way through MANY WTF moments like that...think about the guy who loses nearly an entire lap advantage to a yellow in an oval race, then loses the race after a few green laps by 10ft! It happens. How about watching an ambulance heading UP the main straight as the field is accelerating to the drop of the green flag!? THAT was disgusting! Never again!!