PDA

View Full Version : TSA cracks down on driver's license ID's

TravelGal
12-30-15, 04:09 PM
I usually bury my travel news in the tales of interest thread but I thought this one should be highlighted, just in case someone lives in the affected states (as do I). This does not apply to every license from every one of the states listed. Nevertheless, if you have a passport, you might want to use that until the dust settles. Take care that your ID name matches the name on the ticket. You would be surprised how many people have different names on their driver's license and their passport. Keep calm and carry a passport.

TSA Says It Will Stop Accepting Driver's Licenses From Nine States
Come January 10, travelers from Alaska, California, Illinois, Minnesota Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, South Carolina, and Washington may be stranded. A decade ago, Congress passed The Real ID Act which was supposed to make it easier for law enforcement to share information on driver's licenses issued by the states and territories. But not every state decided to comply. After a decade of state/fed jousting, the feds appear ready to visit some of those consequences upon the recalcitrant states: Alaska, California, Illinois, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, South Carolina, and Washington (as well as Puerto Rico, Guam, and the US Virgin Islands). Previously, these states and territories had been granted exemptions to the Real ID requirements, but they expire on January 10, 2016 (less than two weeks from now), and the DHS has already refused to renew them for Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota, and Washington and said they wouldn't renew it for other states. A dozen states actually have laws banning their divisions of motor vehicles from complying with Real ID requirements. Missouri passed a law in 2009 forbidding state officials from implementing the law. The same year, Minnesota lawmakers not only barred implementation of Real ID but prohibited "preliminary measures like negotiations with federal officials related to the requirement," according to a report in last week's Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Some state lawmakers opposed Real ID because of privacy concerns, while others denounced the law as an "unfunded mandate" requiring states to change their licensing practices without providing any money to implement the changes. We now wait to see just what will happen.

dando
12-30-15, 04:26 PM
I saw a piece on this last night on NBC Nightly. Extensions granted for a number of states...NY, for example (go figure). I'm betting that more will be granted, much like the smart chip POS terminals that didn't meet the mandated October deadline. I've only had my chipped debit card confirmed once...at my oncologist office. No idea how etailers will meet this requirement. The parental units have been hacked twice this year. :( I keep telling them that when they hand their card over to wait staff, etc. the card number, expiry date, and CVC is exposed. :saywhat: :irked:

JoeBob
12-30-15, 05:03 PM
There is so much misinformation on this topic. January is when TSA *CAN* stop accepting drivers licenses from those states at airports, not when it *WILL* stop. There's a lot of fear mongering happening, and most of it is needless.

They have said that they will give at least 120 days notice before they stop accepting ID from the states that don't meet the standard at airports. They have not yet given that notice.

More here: http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Also, there is already a process for getting through airport security if you don't have valid ID. It pretty much means a full body pat down and a look through your stuff. The same search you get if you're a "selectee." (This is how you can fly home if your wallet is stolen on vacation and you have no ID. If your state's ID wasn't valid, you'd be allowed to fly using the same process. A process you can be sure DHS will go to great lengths to not have to implement on a wide scale.)

If you really want to get into the weeds, here's the letter they sent MN detailing their decision, what it means, and where the state meets and does not meet standards: http://mn.gov/governor/images/2015_12_22_DHS_MN_REAL_ID_Response_and_Enclosure.p df

TravelGal
12-30-15, 07:12 PM
There is so much misinformation on this topic. January is when TSA *CAN* stop accepting drivers licenses from those states at airports, not when it *WILL* stop. There's a lot of fear mongering happening, and most of it is needless.

They have said that they will give at least 120 days notice before they stop accepting ID from the states that don't meet the standard at airports. They have not yet given that notice.

More here: http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Also, there is already a process for getting through airport security if you don't have valid ID. It pretty much means a full body pat down and a look through your stuff. The same search you get if you're a "selectee." (This is how you can fly home if your wallet is stolen on vacation and you have no ID. If your state's ID wasn't valid, you'd be allowed to fly using the same process. A process you can be sure DHS will go to great lengths to not have to implement on a wide scale.)

If you really want to get into the weeds, here's the letter they sent MN detailing their decision, what it means, and where the state meets and does not meet standards: http://mn.gov/governor/images/2015_12_22_DHS_MN_REAL_ID_Response_and_Enclosure.p df

Thanks, JoeBob. Yeah, I was actually participating in the fear mongering on purpose. ;) It's best to keep alert to this cr@p because it changes pretty rapidly. There is supposed to be that notification period but who knows what Timmy the TSA bozo is going to decided to do when you arrive at his doorstep. Best to be prepared.

Thanks also for reminding people about procedure to get on a domestic flight if you don't have your ID with you. It has been that way from the beginning and generally works. In fact, it can even work internationally but that's less certain. It all depends on Timmy. :D

nrc
12-31-15, 12:36 AM
I thought this was going to be about making sure that your ticket matches the name on your driver's license. I go by my middle name so my driver's license reflected that for decades. Our travel agency through work booked tickets with my first name. Major pain in the butt until I got around to changing my driver's license. Part of the challenge there was convincing the DMV that it was even possible to have a driver's license that didn't already match the name from your SS card.

TravelGal
12-31-15, 04:51 PM
I thought this was going to be about making sure that your ticket matches the name on your driver's license. I go by my middle name so my driver's license reflected that for decades. Our travel agency through work booked tickets with my first name. Major pain in the butt until I got around to changing my driver's license. Part of the challenge there was convincing the DMV that it was even possible to have a driver's license that didn't already match the name from your SS card.

I hear ya. TravelGuy's SS card was not in his full name but a nickname. Birth certificate, passport, marriage license :eek:, etc. all in real name. SS not so. Trying to persuade SS they issued a card in the wrong name was not easy. Eventually got a SS card in the real name. Now he has both so some medical benefits are in one name; some are in another. I digress. It's one of my hot buttons.

As far as the TSA/DL embroglio, one part of the website says one thing (what I wrote) and one says another (what JoeBob wrote). So, to repeat, that's why I posted the warning. www.dhs.gov/secure-drivers-licenses "States that are granted an extension until October 10, 2016 will be notified as these packages are approved. For states whose extension expired on October 10, 2015 and have not received notice of a renewal, DHS will allow for a three-month grace period before the expiration becomes effective. In other words, until January 2016, Federal agencies may continue to accept driver’s licenses and identification cards issued by states whose extensions have expired. This grace period does not apply to Minnesota and American Samoa because these jurisdictions did not have an extension in 2015."

As JoeBob wrote, if you follow it further you can find which states have until when. http://www.dhs.gov/current-status-states-territories#

JoeBob
01-12-16, 01:00 PM
If you didn't see, TSA announced the timeline of when they would stop accepting IDs from non-compliant states:

Effective immediately, the Department of Homeland Security will conduct outreach to educate the traveling public about the timeline below, and continue engagements with states to encourage compliance with REAL ID standards.
Starting July 15, 2016, TSA, in coordination with airlines and airport stakeholders, will begin to issue web-based advisories and notifications to the traveling public.
Starting December 15, 2016, TSA will expand outreach at its airport checkpoints through signage, handouts, and other methods.
Starting January 22, 2018, passengers with a driver’s license issued by a state that is still not compliant with the REAL ID Act (and has not been granted an extension) will need to show an alternative form of acceptable identification for domestic air travel to board their flight. To check whether your state is compliant or has an extension, click here. Passengers with driver’s licenses issued by a state that is compliant with REAL ID (or a state that has been issued an extension) will still be able to use their driver’s licenses or identification cards.
Starting October 1, 2020, every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel.

Link: http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs