PDA

View Full Version : Easy IT question

TravelGal
12-23-15, 02:12 PM
Unlike the former "Have I been Hacked" this one should be a slam dunk.

I only bought a smart phone to have for all the calls I would get regarding TravelMom. Now I use it differently and realize I should have a portable battery for recharging it. Any suggestions? I'm looking for small, lightweight, and cheap because I still don't use the phone all that much. I'm inclined to get the $9.99 PNY 2600 mAh but the Best Buy person said they don't charge quickly, just keep the phone alive. Bah humbug. It's an old Samsung Galaxy minus 2 or something that will probably be upgraded next year so I'm looking for something on the cheap.

PS, I'm writing on my laptop (not connected to my router network) because the desktop is at 2.5 hours and still running the Windows Defender scan. 1,100,000 items so far.

SteveH
12-23-15, 02:30 PM
Woot! has two available today
http://electronics.woot.com/plus/gorilla-gadgets-power-banks-5?ref=w_gh_el_4_wp_8

dando
12-23-15, 03:39 PM
An Anker portable charger is awesome. Those suckers keep their charge for MONTHS. A simple USB to mini USB and you are golden. I also use an RND dock for my GS 3, which also charges a backup battery. Swapping out batteries is not as elegant, but it works. I prefer the Anker...especially when a CM at DL, while standing in line for Tink & friends, asks if the cord running from my cargo shorts to my phone is a backup battery. And then we get into a ~15 minute discussion about it. (he was drooling) #nerdness ;)

TravelGal
12-23-15, 05:12 PM
Woot! has two available today
http://electronics.woot.com/plus/gorilla-gadgets-power-banks-5?ref=w_gh_el_4_wp_8

Thanks, Steve. Being a novice in the field, I looked at them and couldn't tell if the cords come apart so you can charge the unit in a wall socket. Given that one doesn't always travel with a computer these days (just the phone), that' a requirement.

Dando, I shall investigate!

dando
12-23-15, 05:18 PM
There's a simple adapter that will plug into an AC adapter via USB to a mini USB. I know...difficult for SoCals to comprehend (especially those that buy fruit cake sober). :gomer: :tony: :D

And yes, I'm going to try to school my techophobe Mom on Xmas. :saywhat:

Dvdb
12-23-15, 05:56 PM
Cargo shorts???? :D

TravelGal
12-23-15, 07:59 PM
There's a simple adapter that will plug into an AC adapter via USB to a mini USB. I know...difficult for SoCals to comprehend (especially those that buy fruit cake sober). :gomer: :tony: :D

And yes, I'm going to try to school my techophobe Mom on Xmas. :saywhat:

We may be simple out here but we don't need to buy extra stuff. All this has to go into the purse, which is already heavy enough. :p

dando
12-23-15, 09:50 PM
We may be simple out here but we don't need to buy extra stuff. All this has to go into the purse, which is already heavy enough. :p

'tis why they make cargo shorts and sensible shoes. :p ;)

Dvdb
12-24-15, 01:39 PM
Here's hoping Santa brings Dando a wardrobe update this year.

dando
12-24-15, 03:03 PM
Here's hoping Santa brings Dando a wardrobe update this year.

Aye. I need a new pair of khaki shorts. Done worn out the other set. Perhaps Santa can bring me some cargo jorts. #AnkfOO :gomer: ;)

EDIT: Daddy needs....

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1895472/croft-barrow-denim-flat-front-cargo-shorts-big-tall.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=B%26T%20CLASSIC/ACTIVE&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=95853594&CID=shopping15&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=95853594&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzO6zBRC25Ju1idGJiZkBEiQAP3Sf6GpPpbTq F90ldDu_loxR0JkUMpWZRqxUb_R_ZX4IDIwaAmej8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNjpjeip9ckCFUgtaQod0aAKUw

:D

nrc
12-24-15, 03:29 PM
An Anker portable charger is awesome. Those suckers keep their charge for MONTHS. A simple USB to mini USB and you are golden. I also use an RND dock for my GS 3, which also charges a backup battery. Swapping out batteries is not as elegant, but it works. I prefer the Anker...especially when a CM at DL, while standing in line for Tink & friends, asks if the cord running from my cargo shorts to my phone is a backup battery. And then we get into a ~15 minute discussion about it. (he was drooling) #nerdness ;)

I concur with the Anker recommendation. Excellent customer service for a place selling cheap gadgets.

dando
12-24-15, 04:56 PM
I concur with the Anker recommendation. Excellent customer service for a place selling cheap gadgets.

Amazed at how the charger retains it's charge so long. However I did replace the original Sammy phone battery with an Anker (after 5 years), and the performance hasn't improved much. :\

Tifosi24
12-25-15, 04:32 PM
I was going to recommend the portable chargers in China that are four times bigger than the phone. Very ironic pieces of technology.

TravelGal
12-26-15, 04:41 PM
An Anker portable charger is awesome.

A version of the above has just been ordered from Amazon. Rats. I just realized I forgot to change it from black to pink. ;)

Dvdb
12-26-15, 08:47 PM
Dando, I have been looking at the budget this year, and I think this years PoolHost winner may be awarded those sweet denim shorts. Hope they don't sell out between now and early February.

dando
12-26-15, 09:05 PM
A version of the above has just been ordered from Amazon. Rats. I just realized I forgot to change it from black to pink. ;)

Should have been purple. ;)

dando
12-26-15, 09:14 PM
Dando, I have been looking at the budget this year, and I think this years PoolHost winner may be awarded those sweet denim shorts. Hope they don't sell out between now and early February.

No worries...I wear shorts all year 'round. ;) Hafta admit, tho...I haven't worn jorts for 5+ years. Since I was scorned by Ank at the tOSU/Texas game back in 2004. :\ But when you herd 2 DDs (and mom) around WDW or DL, you wear cargo shorts and haul a back pack with a few carabiners attached to carry a few water bottles. :) ;)

TravelGal
12-27-15, 02:51 PM
Should have been purple. ;)

You mean turquoise. Turquoise is the new black this year. :)