PDA

View Full Version : Has my computer been hacked?

TravelGal
12-23-15, 12:45 PM
Asking the brain trust here.
Leonovo desktop has been exceedingly slow for a few days. A bad sign. On the other hand, I'm wondering if the 6-month old hard drive is dying. Every two weeks or so computer makes a grinding sound when starting up.
Night before last I finally downloaded Microsoft 10 update on top of 7 Home Pro. TravelGuy did this two months ago with no problems. I had to be sure it would work with SABRE, the airline computer system before I took the plunge.
Next morning I tried to pop a Christmas CD in the CD drive. (Remember those? lol) Wouldn't work. Drive not recognized. You can see the drivers, they are there but the computer is not seeing any other drive but the C: drive.
Call to Microsoft help to fix. Complete idiot. 20 minutes later, hang up.
Call back to Microsoft help. Lots of things done. Still doesn't work. Says we must call Lenovo.
Call Lenovo. Lots of things done. Say we've been hacked and the entire network is affected; "it's a complete mess;" and it will cost $500 for them to fix it. "Sounds WONDERFUL" we say and hang up. Nevertheless, panic ensues.
Call back to Microsoft, demanding that they fix their download. Lots of things done. Say they are sure they can fix it if only we'll pay $99 for escalated service for a month. "Sounds WONDERFUL" we say and hang up.
Call Geek squad (computer is registered with them but you can see how much confidence I have in them.) Get who? Microsoft help! Geez.
New Microsoft help guy says he can reinstall Windows 10 but no going back to Windows 7. We agree but ask about being hacked since Lenovo was insistent about it.
Microsoft help guy #4 runs. Malware Bytes, SuperantiSpyware Professional, and Windows Defender Quick scan. Finds nothing. Proceeds to reinstall Windows 10.
Chalk up 9:30 AM to 5:50 PM.
This morning I'm running the full scan of Windows Defender. It's been an hour for 300,000 files. About 1/3 done. This seems excessive even though I have way too many pictures so I'm back to worrying I'm hosting someone I don't want to host.
Any ideas?
PS, the dvd/cd player still doesn't work. :)

dando
12-23-15, 03:52 PM
1.) It's called and optical drive. :gomer:

2.) If that's failing, you've got mobo issues more than likely.

3.) Your hard drive is likely failing.

4.) Get a cheap backup drive, back up the data NOW. Replace the machine next...unless you want to get into major surgery. I just went through this with my ~7 yo Dell. Not a huge deal (for me), but a PITA. I've replaced HDs, WiFi cards, etc. Youtube videos are a big help.

5.) New machines don't have optical drives. Everything now is going to streaming or downloads. 'tis why Redbox is failing and Netflix DVD sales are tanking. I have a Sammy BR player and use it more for streaming than playing DVDs...my collection of >300 DVDs (mostly Disney, BTW.) ;)

dando
12-23-15, 04:02 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-Drive/dp/B00N2S6ZUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1450900811&sr=8-2&keywords=external+drive

TravelGal
12-23-15, 05:00 PM
Dando, actually, I figured all of that. Appreciate the confirmation. I just returned from Staples with a 1T external drive. My concern is whether I've been hacked.

I'm playing the Christmas CD's on the laptop :cool: which is a Toshiba. I'm never going to buy another one. It came with too much stuff I didn't know how to remove. Very intrusive.

dando
12-23-15, 05:23 PM
Dando, actually, I figured all of that. Appreciate the confirmation. I just returned from Staples with a 1T external drive. My concern is whether I've been hacked.

I'm playing the Christmas CD's on the laptop :cool: which is a Toshiba. I'm never going to buy another one. It came with too much stuff I didn't know how to remove. Very intrusive.

Congrats. You now have < my 4 TB of backup storage. ;) I looked into a new laptop, and they required an external optical drive. :saywhat: :irked: :shakehead:

SteveH
12-23-15, 06:55 PM

based on this I would guess not

Malware Bytes, SuperantiSpyware Professional, and Windows Defender Quick scan. Finds nothing.

I think it is more likely you've been the victim of a support agent giving you an easy answer

TravelGal
12-23-15, 08:06 PM
based on this I would guess not

I think it is more likely you've been the victim of a support agent giving you an easy answer

Thank you, Steve. The full scan showed nothing except 1,250,000 files, no doubt because of the two operating systems. I've decided to conclude it's okay to use. We figured the Lenovo agent gets a cut of whatever they sell. :irked: I only care about saving documents and pictures so the 1T is fine for me.

Next year's project is to decide where to put the pictures to get them off my computer completely. I bought a 128 GB USB for the purpose. I've also got Dropbox but will probably kill myself investigating other alternatives anyway.

nissan gtp
12-23-15, 10:40 PM
this kind of stuff is why I have a Mac.

dando
12-24-15, 07:54 AM

Sorry, I use Mac, Windoze and Android...all hackable. Period.

TG, anyone admitting to buying fruit cake means you were hacked. :p

I use the cloud for select images, but have local backup drives as well. Of course I have a network NAS and USB drives up to 128GB, too. #nerd ;)

TravelGal
12-24-15, 05:27 PM

Several years ago all my computers went kaput at once. I should have changed over to Mac then but it was prohibitive to buy 3 at once at the Mac prices and daunting to think I didn't have one that I could actually use without the learning curve.

TG, anyone admitting to buying fruit cake means you were hacked. :p

I use the cloud for select images, but have local backup drives as well. Of course I have a network NAS and USB drives up to 128GB, too. #nerd ;)

The problem with fruitcake is that I'm cooking fudge today, which requires sampling, of course, so the fruitcake is being ignored. :(

As for the computer, should anyone still be reading....

SteveH gave me the confidence that it wasn't hacked (fruitcake notwithstanding) so TravelGuy embarked again on his quest to get the CD/DVD drive working.
Microsoft tech #5. Couldn't spell the name correctly (not TravelGuy but his innocuous real name) so he hung up.
Microsoft tech #6. Enter "Ish," a woman from Malaysia. After about 10 minutes, she finally grasped the problem. (Not that we didn't have the drivers; that we didn't see the drive at all.) She said she had never encountered it before. She realized all drives but the C drive were "hidden" so she "unhid" them. Then she could see all the drivers but still no joy. She uninstalled them all. The she reinstalled them all. Voila. It works. I know we would have done that if we could ever have seen the ^%&$* drive in the first place. If TravelGuy could have hugged her through the phone wires, I wouldn't have objected. Now we just hope we can commend her in some way. TravelGuy embodies the motto "Never give up." :thumbup:

dando
12-24-15, 05:43 PM
Several years ago all my computers went kaput at once. I should have changed over to Mac then but it was prohibitive to buy 3 at once at the Mac prices and daunting to think I didn't have one that I could actually use without the learning curve.

The problem with fruitcake is that I'm cooking fudge today, which requires sampling, of course, so the fruitcake is being ignored. :(

As for the computer, should anyone still be reading....

SteveH gave me the confidence that it wasn't hacked (fruitcake notwithstanding) so TravelGuy embarked again on his quest to get the CD/DVD drive working.
Microsoft tech #5. Couldn't spell the name correctly (not TravelGuy but his innocuous real name) so he hung up.
Microsoft tech #6. Enter "Ish," a woman from Malaysia. After about 10 minutes, she finally grasped the problem. (Not that we didn't have the drivers; that we didn't see the drive at all.) She said she had never encountered it before. She realized all drives but the C drive were "hidden" so she "unhid" them. Then she could see all the drivers but still no joy. She uninstalled them all. The she reinstalled them all. Voila. It works. I know we would have done that if we could ever have seen the ^%&$* drive in the first place. If TravelGuy could have hugged her through the phone wires, I wouldn't have objected. Now we just hope we can commend her in some way. TravelGuy embodies the motto "Never give up." :thumbup:

Requesting that nrc change yer moniker to Fruitcake. :gomer: :D

Glad they fixed the issue. My two encounters with M$FT support were fruitless, as was speaking Ingl'ish'. And I still don't have Windoze update working. :irked:

Typed on my MacBook Pro, BTW. Early 2008 edition. ;)

trish
12-27-15, 10:10 AM
Is anything still under warranty?

TravelGal
12-27-15, 01:21 PM
Is anything still under warranty?

Only the hard drive, which was new and installed by the Geek Squad in April of this year.

I'm on a computer all day long but not a heavy user in the more common sense of the word. Lots of research and emails but no games or streaming movies or data crunching. I need a good video card and a fast CPU and I'm happy. This one is getting a bit long in the tooth so I think I'll treat myself to something different a few months from now. Assuming this one lasts that long. :\

dando
12-27-15, 04:55 PM
Only the hard drive, which was new and installed by the Geek Squad in April of this year.

I'm on a computer all day long but not a heavy user in the more common sense of the word. Lots of research and emails but no games or streaming movies or data crunching. I need a good video card and a fast CPU and I'm happy. This one is getting a bit long in the tooth so I think I'll treat myself to something different a few months from now. Assuming this one lasts that long. :\

When the time comes, check the Apple Store online for a MacBook refurb (unless you have apps that require Windoze). My 'Early 2008' MacBook Pro is still working well until Chrome takes a dump. Of course it's on 24/7 and has ~17 tabs open. ;) Otherwise, the Dell Outlet online will have plenty of decent options. I've had three Dell refurbs that were great over 15 years. Might also consider a Surface Pro tablet. Lots of good feedback on them.

nissan gtp
12-28-15, 11:49 AM

true, although I would observe that the occurance rate is lower with Mac than Windows.

And more important (for me anyway), Macs are much easier and far less annoying than anything from Microsoft. Add the outstanding hardware, and it's an easy win.

dando
12-28-15, 12:54 PM
true, although I would observe that the occurance rate is lower with Mac than Windows.

And more important (for me anyway), Macs are much easier and far less annoying than anything from Microsoft. Add the outstanding hardware, and it's an easy win.

But $$$$. :\

Insomniac
12-28-15, 02:42 PM

The hardware is all commodity, so there is the same stuff available on Windows laptops. It's more a decision of OS.

cameraman
12-28-15, 03:52 PM
Apple has the ability and skill to be every bit as annoying & obtuse as Microsoft could ever dream of being.

Especially if you are looking for cross-platform support or are trying to operate in a Windoze network.

dando
12-28-15, 06:49 PM
Apple has the ability and skill to be every bit as annoying & obtuse as Microsoft could ever dream of being.

Especially if you are looking for cross-platform support or are trying to operate in a Windoze network.

Try operating a home network with a Mac, Windoze, Android and Chromecast(s). :saywhat: :irked: ;)