PDA

View Full Version : I have decided to enter the 21st Century.

Napoleon
12-09-15, 08:46 AM
I need advice on a smartphone.

I have never even bothered to shop for one (until the past few days) or educate myself on operating systems, but my old flip phone is getting old and at some point soon I may need to replace it. I would seriously consider continuing with a non-smartphone, but there are some things you can get on them (maps/gps/weather and the like) I like the idea of having, but what is really prompting me is that my i-Pod Classic is not made any more and if I go with another i-Pod in the future, when my current one breaks, I would have to go with the i-Pod Touch, and at that the most expensive model for around $400, which already is into smartphone territory. My current i-Pod has around 86GB of material on it (note, 99% of which is from CDs I own or free podcast downloaded with i-Tunes, very little of its is purchased digital music)(Also, it is possible that another option would be to buy some other MP3 player that is cheaper, but this gets into some issue I mention below).

It is a huge understatement to say I am not a fan of Apple, but obviously the easy solution is get an i-Phone, specifically a 6 with an upgrade to 128GB storage which is real expensive (and its unclear to me at this point if I would have to go with the S or if Verizon carries the regular version with 128GB, which tacks another $100 on to the retail price). If I go with some other brand there is the whole question of can I somehow move my music and/or reformat it, and will I still be able to add CDs and stuff with my desktop computer at home? So what would people recommend?

Also what type of data plan should I get? I can't imagine that I will use it to do heavy internet searching of watching much in the way of video.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Mark

WickerBill
12-09-15, 09:11 AM
Let's just answer some questions before I get into conjecture.

1. Yes, Apple still sells the iPhone 6, and there is a 128gb model.
2. You can add CDs to your collection with any type of smartphone.
3. If you ripped your CDs for your iPod in AAC format, they will need to be re-ripped if you choose something other than an Apple product. If you ripped to MP3, you're golden.

My thoughts:

A. You can consider an Android-based phone with a micro-SD slot to add storage much more cheaply than buying the highest-end iPhone.
B. If you're used to iTunes for your iPod, an iPhone will be the easiest transition - absolutely no re-work of your music required and you already know the iTunes program.
C. Having one device instead of two is superior; you won't regret the move away from an independent MP3 player.
D. If you have wifi in your home, buy the smallest data plan they allow. If you incur overages for the first month or two (generally around $10 to double your data), eat that cost and reconsider your plan. IMO that's better than buying a larger plan and finding out you don't need it.

cameraman
12-09-15, 12:25 PM
Apple, in theory, is due to release the 6c by March. A 5 sized form with 6 guts. They are also supposed to cost less than the current 6 series. If you are thinking of going Apple it might not be a bad idea to wait.

gjc2
12-09-15, 07:45 PM
The iOS, Android, Windows Phone debate is just like the Chevy, Ford & MoPar discussion. Everyone has their preferences.

My first smart phone was a Blackberry, then I had an iPhone 4s and now I have an iPhone 6 (not an “s”)

I also have an iPad 2: the way the phone and the iPad interface through the cloud is amazing.

You mentioned you have a large music library mostly of music you ripped from CD. Apple offers iTunes Match which will save (protect) all you music, not just stuff you bought from iTunes. It costs $25 a year.

An advantage of the iPhone is that everywhere you go someone will have a charger you can use if your phone is running low.

As far as cost; when I got the 6, the lady at the AT&T store evaluated my usage and got me into a plan that costs about $25 per month less, gave me the new phone for just the sales tax and gave me $100 for my old phone. I was expecting to pay a couple of hundred bucks but instead I made money!

ps: I’m a PC guy, not a Mac user.

RaceGrrl
12-10-15, 12:24 AM
I love my Samsung Galaxy S5. My first smart phone was the Palm Pre, and I still miss some of the features from that. After the Pre I got the Samsung S3 and really liked it so at upgrade time I got the S5. I like the sleekness of the phone itself and find it very easy to operate. As far as the music is concerned, that might make a difference, but it wouldn't be enough of a difference to me to buy an iPhone.

datachicane
12-10-15, 12:25 AM
Another PC guy with iPhones, separate 5Ss for home and work (security reasons).

As someone else with a huge multi-TB media collection who used to pack around the beefiest mp3 players I could find, I wouldn't spend the extra $$$ for that 128gb now. Most of my collection is also ripped from CDs I own, a big chunk of it is fairly unobtainable stuff, and I hate the likes of iTunes with a white-hot passion. Leave it all on your NAS or PC or whatever, run something like Tonido (free, btw), and securely access it where it sits DLNA-style across the internet. You can even configure it to auto-upload your photos, etc., or conversely you can copy stuff to the local device if you're going to be out of network range for a while.

Nothing better than being able to browse your rare bootlegs with buddies without worrying about which batch you chose to load on your device.

cameraman
12-10-15, 12:39 AM
I've got all the ripped CDs and bootlegs but I used iTunes Match which uploads everything to the cloud and then I can play anything I want on the iPads, Mac, macbook, phone or AppleTV any time I want. It is worth the $25 for instant access to whatever from wherever.

datachicane
12-10-15, 12:55 AM
IIRC iTunes Match had a 25k track ceiling at one time- is that still the case?

Relying on their cloud services makes me a bit nervous, especially given the ambiguous legal status of a big part of my collection. The fact that it's an extra $25/yr for something I can do free on my own also gives me pause. Using Tonido I have access to my entire video collection, etc., as well, pretty much anything I want to throw at it.

cameraman
12-10-15, 01:53 AM
They raised it to 100,000. They have not gone after anyone for ripped CDs. Interesting thing is I can upload a 160 kbps mp3 file I ripped a decade ago then delete the original file from my computer and redownload it from Match and it comes down as a 256 kbps drm-free aac file. Only works for released albums in the master iTunes library but it's kinda cool.

G.
12-10-15, 02:12 AM
I've got all the ripped CDs and bootlegs but I used iTunes Match which uploads everything to the cloud and then I can play anything I want on the iPads, Mac, macbook, phone or AppleTV any time I want. It is worth the $25 for instant access to whatever from wherever.

The Google flavored version is free. I'm not sure if there are any restrictions on it that would push it into a Must-Pay range.
Apparently a whole bunch of people think it's worth paying for it just to have access to the Google library. I believe that you can take the songs offline as well when you pay (on a couple of devices).

If I listened to music more often, then I'd probably know more details. :o :laugh:

WickerBill
12-10-15, 07:27 AM
Y'all are missing one point here; he doesn't want to pay a fortune for a data plan. Streaming all that music will add up...

pfc_m_drake
12-10-15, 08:12 AM
Another option rather than going the iPhone route would be to get a Smartphone with an available external SDcard slot. You can then get yourself an SDcard reader for your PC (if you don't have one already) and move files back and forth between the Phone/SDcard(s)/PC at will.

That will save you $$$ on the 128GB iPhone. You might find it more economical to go with 2x64GB cards rather than a higher capacity one, but if you already have higher capacity ones laying around the house, then that's a free solution.

You could also look into saving further $$$ by getting a used Smartphone on Swappa.

Just some thoughts.

edit: You'd have to work around any DRM issues on your own, but you should be able to cover that...

KLang
12-10-15, 09:51 AM
If you already have your music in iTunes an iPhone makes a lot of sense.

SteveH
12-10-15, 12:11 PM
Pick up a used iPhone 5s cheaply (relatively speaking) to see if you even like it before investing in a much more expensive model. Use it until the 7 is released then decide if you want to upgrade. I upgraded from a 5 to 6s and the 5 was performing fine. But it was only 16 gb, not enough for me these days. Otherwise I'd still be using it.

dando
12-10-15, 05:55 PM
Android...Sammy or Nexus. Since you're just getting started, the latest and greatest isn't necessary. I'm using a Sammy GSIII that's 4 years old. It's 16 GB with a 32 GB mSD. I use Virgin ($35/mo.). Virgin piggy backs on Sprint (like Cricket on AT&T). They currently have the GS 5 for $500, 128GB cards are like ~$30 on Amazon. Not concerned with data since I don't stream much video since I'm mostly using WiFi and broadcasting to my Chromecast at home. That would be more of a concern if commutes involved subway, train, or business travel. Not an iPhone fan since I consider it a 'walled garden', as you can't use mSD cards to upgrade them, or change batteries on your own. Also, you can use a USB cord to PnP to a PC rather than using an SD reader to transfer to and from phone and PC. Unless you have an extensive iTunes collection and use other Apple products, no go iPhone. The hook with Apple is iTunes since peeps have invested $$$ on music collections. Much like e-mail addresses were a hook for for dialup ISPs ~10 years ago. You don't need a separate MP3 player. The phone works great paired with a decent BT headset (I use a Moto and and works well).

Napoleon
12-11-15, 06:06 AM
Yes, Apple still sells the iPhone 6, and there is a 128gb model.

When they were released they did, but Apple’s website last week did not show that as an option, and while Verizon’s in store display indicates that it is, their website does not. I was wondering if they discontinued it to force people to the S if they wanted that much storage.

If you ripped your CDs for your iPod in AAC format, they will need to be re-ripped if you choose something other than an Apple product. If you ripped to MP3, you're golden.

Good question on the format. So i-Tunes has a box that reads something like “to make your high bit audio ACC check here” and it’s not checked. I spot checked 5 or 6 files that, if I am recalling correctly, I have loaded on to i-Tunes over a period of time (some I almost certainly would have right when I got my first i-Pod and some are recent) including a recent i-Tunes purchase and they all show as “MPEG-4 Audio (.m4a)”. For my podcast they are in MP3 Format Sound (.mp3). I am going to assume that holds across my entire library. So searching on Google does not give me a clear answer whether that is ACC format. The need to reformat my music library, even if doable, really will be a huge hurdle for me. It looks like from what I could find that I would need to reformat.

You can consider an Android-based phone with a micro-SD slot to add storage much more cheaply than buying the highest-end iPhone.
. . . .
If you have wifi in your home, buy the smallest data plan they allow. If you incur overages for the first month or two (generally around $10 to double your data), eat that cost and reconsider your plan. IMO that's better than buying a larger plan and finding out you don't need it.

The Android option you and pfc mention seems like the best option, if you ignore the music database migration issue. I didn’t realize that about wifi. I actually do have it set up. That sounds like good advice on the plan. I figured that was likely the way to go.

Apple, in theory, is due to release the 6c by March. A 5 sized form with 6 guts. They are also supposed to cost less than the current 6 series. If you are thinking of going Apple it might not be a bad idea to wait.

I heard that a few days ago. Luckily I don’t need to do anything right now, but since this decision is coming sooner or later, I want to be informed and basically know what I want to do, so if my phone croaks tomorrow morning I am not completely stuck with no idea about what I want to do. Having said that it would be nice to have replaced the phone by summer so I can use its tracking function on bike rides.

Leave it all on your NAS or PC or whatever, run something like Tonido (free, btw), and securely access it where it sits DLNA-style across the internet. You can even configure it to auto-upload your photos, etc., or conversely you can copy stuff to the local device if you're going to be out of network range for a while.

It took me 20 minutes of Google searches to figure out what you were saying. As WB says below, that doesn’t really fit with my plan, but perhaps that would be useful for other things. Only thing is it has to be on a computer that is always on and connected to the internet. Either I would have to start leaving the home computer on or put it on my works server, which of course is not exactly private.

nissan gtp
12-11-15, 02:40 PM
An iPhone would make things easiest for you, so it you don't want to do computer stuff, go that way.

An interesting alternative is Google Fi -- https://fi.google.com/about/

And the phone choice is easy, since they support only two.

PS, do you have a Windows system or a Mac?

SteveH
12-11-15, 04:22 PM
I have AT&T and they now allow wifi calls on my iphone :thumbup:

Napoleon
12-11-15, 05:38 PM
PS, do you have a Windows system or a Mac?

Windows

I have AT&T and they now allow wifi calls on my iphone :thumbup:

So, I take it, ordinarily you can only use the wifi to access the web if you are not otherwise using the phone link.

SteveH
12-11-15, 06:41 PM
Windows

So, I take it, ordinarily you can only use the wifi to access the web if you are not otherwise using the phone link.

A smartphone has two distinctly different forms of communications; voice and data. Voice is the same as with your current flip phone. Your phone plan is usually limited to X minutes/month plus $Y/min for overage. Just like you have now. Data on the other hand is used for email and surfing the web. It is available as X gbs per month. You'll subscribe to a package and will pay way too much if you exceed that. However wifi communications is free. Your phone will use wifi instead of your data plan if it can, to not use up the gbs in your data plan. What AT&T has recently provided is the ability to use wifi (if available) for voice rather than go against my minutes. Essentially it turns my phone into a VOIP device (think Vonage or Ooma). The communications from my phone to the AT&T network is over the internet, then AT&T will complete the link to the party I'm talking through using traditional phone circuits.

opinionated ow
12-12-15, 01:59 AM
When we were in North America we couldn't believe how much you get extorted for with your mobile phone plans. I pay $45 per month and I get unlimited calls, sms, mms across australia, 5gb of data and I get 300 international minutes and unlimited international texts to the 25 most commonly used countries

Insomniac
12-18-15, 01:54 PM
I didn't see it mentioned specifically, but anything you purchased through iTunes will not follow you if you leave the Apple ecosystem.

As a consumer, it stinks that Apple charges so much for memory (as a stockholder, thanks!), but it's a one time cost to get the larger memory if you need it. Unless you'll be swapping out external memory cards, the cost isn't a huge difference IMO. So I' saying, not sure you want that to sway your decision. Also, on memory, with the smart phone, more than music will be using it. Apps will be eating into it as well. Also, if you don't necessarily have to have all your music with you at all times, you can sync less of it to your device.

Ignoring the data usage part of iTunes Match, they assume all you have is yours.

When I was committing to one ecosystem, I went and played with the device. See what you actually like to narrow down your options.

Napoleon
06-07-16, 01:19 PM
Bump, if anyone had anything to add.

chop456
06-08-16, 02:01 AM
I switched from a Motorola Droid to an iPhone 6S and I HATE it. Not that it's different, or because of the learning curve (it's been 6 months), there are just so many things that don't work logically that I want to smash it on a regular basis. :)

dando
06-08-16, 08:28 AM
Friends don't let friends do iCrap. I have a Sammy J3 with a 32GB card using Virgin. Does what I need and then some. Couple that with a Chromecast, and you're streaming everything via phone, laptop, etc. to your TV. That being said, I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro circa 2008. :gomer:

indyfan31
06-08-16, 09:39 AM
I switched from a Motorola Droid because of reliability problems, I foolishly thought the phone should outlast the contract. :irked:
I went with the LG G3 and so far it's performed well. I'll probably update to the G5 soon.

indyfan31
06-08-16, 09:43 AM
I switched from a Motorola Droid because of reliability problems, I foolishly thought the phone should outlast the contract. :irked:
I went with the LG G3 and so far it's performed well. I'll probably update to the G5 soon.
Not sure what's up with Verizon but they gave me $20 off my bill for 12 months, when that expired they gave me 2G of data per month for no charge. :confused:

Napoleon
06-09-16, 07:31 AM
I think I am going to make up my mind on this the next few days. Remember one of my biggest concerns is being able to transfer my music to the phone from my I-Pod, so that being the case I am leaning seriously towards the I-Phone. If I really don't like it or think the pricing is a rip off I should still have, to the extent I have any at all, an option to switch to something else and transfer my music, which from the research I did back in December when I originally posted this appeared to me to be fairly labor intensive in that I would have to on a file by file basis choose what I wanted to convert.

dando
06-09-16, 09:55 AM
I think I am going to make up my mind on this the next few days. Remember one of my biggest concerns is being able to transfer my music to the phone from my I-Pod, so that being the case I am leaning seriously towards the I-Phone. If I really don't like it or think the pricing is a rip off I should still have, to the extent I have any at all, an option to switch to something else and transfer my music, which from the research I did back in December when I originally posted this appeared to me to be fairly labor intensive in that I would have to on a file by file basis choose what I wanted to convert.

iTunes has you locked into an iPone. That's why I hate Apple stuff (despite typing this on a MacBook :gomer: ). It's a walled garden. Been there, done that working for AOL. I've never done iTunes, and just rip my own tunes....port them to and fro vis SD cards or flash drive. I also have a Fusion with Synch, so I stream tunes from my Android via BT.

Napoleon
06-11-16, 02:36 PM
Well I got an i-Phone 6 s and now trying to figure it out.

SteveH
06-11-16, 03:56 PM
Well I got an i-Phone 6 s and now trying to figure it out.

Have the same, shout if you need some help.

dando
06-11-16, 04:29 PM
I have a 12 yo...almost 13 that can teach you, too. ;) Started them on limited Internet access at 2. :) :cool:

Napoleon
06-12-16, 07:37 AM
Have the same, shout if you need some help.

Thanks, don't be surprised if I take you up on that!

Napoleon
07-15-16, 10:31 AM
So I guess it is good I bought an i-Phone now since I wanted to use it as an i-Pod replacement, and this morning I read that leaked information they are getting rid of the headphone jack. wtf?

Otherwise it has been fairly smooth learning it. I think my coming trip will be the big learning experience.

SteveH
07-15-16, 10:38 AM
So I guess it is good I bought an i-Phone now since I wanted to use it as an i-Pod replacement, and this morning I read that leaked information they are getting rid of the headphone jack. wtf?

been rumored for some time now in order to save space/potentially become more waterproof

The Lightening cable jack will become the interface for headphones, I'm sure Apple and other companies will create adapters so that existing headphones can continue to be used. Can't recall the last time I've plugged a headphone into my iPhone, though. Bluetooth all the way.

dando
07-15-16, 11:23 AM
been rumored for some time now in order to save space/potentially become more waterproof

The Lightening cable jack will become the interface for headphones, I'm sure Apple and other companies will sell you new headphones. Can't recall the last time I've plugged a headphone into my iPhone, though. Bluetooth all the way.

Fixed. :gomer:

dando
07-15-16, 11:27 AM

Otherwise it has been fairly smooth learning it. I think my coming trip will be the big learning experience.

I have a set of Moto something or other BT headphones that are just OK. Buds were always an issue when I was mowing the yard and gardening. The cord always got in the way. Pokie GO should be fun in NYC. :gomer: ;)

WickerBill
07-15-16, 01:03 PM
Haven't found a set of BT 'phones that meet my volume requirements. I use cabled headphones all the time. Will be interesting to see what passthrough options are available as well, since I also listen when the phone is charging.

Napoleon
07-15-16, 01:37 PM
Pokie GO should be fun in NYC.

I saw what I interpreted as the first people out and about playing that. A couple who were in front of a Burger King on a major road.

dando
07-15-16, 01:58 PM
Haven't found a set of BT 'phones that meet my volume requirements. I use cabled headphones all the time. Will be interesting to see what passthrough options are available as well, since I also listen when the phone is charging.

Like I posted, my Moto headphones are just OK, and the volume level is an issue...not to mention the controls are difficult to find/use. But I have not found a set of buds that are comfortable (and I have several). And I refuse to pony up for Beats. :irked: I think this is the model I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S10-HD-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B004QWOSLK

Beats:

https://www.amazon.com/Beats-Studio-Wireless-Over-Ear-Headphone/dp/B00FK0ELRI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1468605472&sr=8-5&keywords=beats+headphones

But using BT in the Fusion via Synch is excellent...plus it also has a USB port in the center console to stream tunes. :)

dando
07-23-16, 05:42 PM
How's it going Nappy?

Napoleon
07-25-16, 09:09 PM
Placeholder/Terrible/more later