PDA

View Full Version : Unbadged? Rebadged? NObadged!?

NismoZ
11-27-15, 10:35 AM
Calling the F-1 experts here...IF Red Bull has decided to re-up with Renault (upon FAILING to get a deal with "others")...what is the rumored deal about possible UNbadged, or REbadged engines...a Ferrari with RED BULL stamped on it? Is it a "Go ahead, GIVE us a boatload of money to use our engine, but if you screw with it and it blows up...WE'RE not taking any blame for it!"?? (oh, gee...Mercedes 1-2 in P2 at Yas.)

WickerBill
11-27-15, 11:05 AM
My understanding is that it will be a Renault that they are permitted to alter ONLY if they rebrand it - so if it blows up it doesn't look bad on Renault. But RB want to use Illmor to tune it, so I'm guessing the "Infiniti" engine will end up being better than the stock Renault.

Should be interesting.

Insomniac
11-27-15, 01:22 PM
That is pretty interesting. Initial R&D by one manufacturer and further done by the team. That's almost like white labeling. Hey Cosworth...

NismoZ
11-27-15, 08:04 PM
Ok...that all makes sense...BUT:gomer:..let's say a rebadged engine is able to WIN the Mfgrs. championship...does Red Bull or Ilmor suddenly become a "manufacturer?"... of what, a good business deal ?So a rebadged engine is a Renault/Ilmor and a nobadged engine is just an Ilmor? We all were familiar with the name Cosworth/Ford...what % of that beauty was Ford? just money? I say if you take the money and share the success...you have to accept the ( %?) of the blame! I hear the new Fiat 124 Spyder is essentially a Mazda Miata with a little 240hp Fiat turbo under the hood? Now THAT I can understand! (except the part about why Mazda doesn't just plop in their MZR turbo from the Speed3! Weight?) Whatever...I want one!!:) EDIT: Oops...guess that's only a 160 hp turbo...might as well stick with Mazda.

SteveH
11-28-15, 10:38 AM
Red Bull: 2016 engine deal secured
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-2016-engine-deal-secured/

NismoZ
11-28-15, 07:03 PM
So...Renault gets to use Illian, at Red Bull's uh..."request"... they pay him nada because all they want is a solution they can't come up with...how noble...then Red Bull decides to stay, SOMEBODY pays Illian, I assume?...and it's still a Renault?... an Illnaut?

TravelGal
11-29-15, 04:08 PM
.. an Illnaut?

I think that about sums it up, it you reverse the "n" and the "a".

Pilgrims Drop
12-08-15, 11:09 AM
Interesting... as nothing is what it seems in the F1 game of power... (http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/showdown-todt-ecclestone-and-mosley-vs-marchionne/)

SteveH
12-08-15, 12:17 PM
Joe Saward's take on 'the fix' (https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2015/12/08/have-you-got-a-warrant/)

There is a glorious naivety in motor racing circles that the FIA can somehow warrant Bernie Ecclestone and Jean Todt to “fix the sport”. Judging by some of things I have read, it seems that the duo can now don their Batman and Robin gear (after a fight over who wears which costume) and, after a fight over the car keys, and adjusting the driver’s seat, they can accelerate into the F1 world (after an argument over the route to take) and zap all the problems, like Luke Skywalker and Han Solo taking on the evil empire.