PDA

View Full Version : Was Jar Jar Binks intended to be the ultimate villain?

WickerBill
11-08-15, 09:58 AM
Before the new movies come out, here is an incredibly interesting piece about JJB and what the author believes he was supposed to be.

https://np.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/

Thoughts?

TravelGal
11-08-15, 02:58 PM
Intriguing. A la Harry Potter (in reverse), where it takes quite some time before you begin to realize that Snape is actually the good guy. Having not seen any but the first 3 original movies, I can't comment further. Will be interesting to see if this plays out as the author suggests though.

WickerBill
11-08-15, 03:30 PM
I suppose I asked for it, but I haven't read / seen any Harry Potter and I think you just gave me a "Rosebud was a sled" moment. :) Oh well, saved me a lot of movie watchin'!

G.
11-08-15, 03:50 PM
HEY! Spoilers!

:)

pfc_m_drake
11-08-15, 04:06 PM
Viral marketing.

dando
11-08-15, 04:14 PM
Friends do not let friends do Jar Jar...or 1-3 :saywhat: Of course, I awakened at 3am to go see #1 (twas a packed theater, too). :irked: The exy gave me a Jar Jar ornament that I refused for years to put on the Xmas tree. Anyone want it? :gomer:

http://observationdeck.kinja.com/why-is-george-lucas-in-my-anxiety-closet-1730066364

:D

dando
11-08-15, 04:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grKViYACmlc

WickerBill
11-08-15, 04:31 PM
Here it is in video form, 8 minutes of your life, for you anti-Redditers. Pretty convincing.

8yy3q9f84EA

dando
11-08-15, 04:48 PM
IMHO, Jar Jar was the pre-Yoda, but the plot/script wasn't fully developed. This from a dude that dog-eared pages from #4 and Empire and skipped school to see #6. :) And yes, I have 1-6 on DVD. :)

datachicane
11-08-15, 07:03 PM
The problem with that theory is that it would require Lucas to plan things out in advance, rather than just making stuff up as he goes along.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-63DT9sULHk4/VkAe9M67x6I/AAAAAAAAGD0/NJQEqVzfH3c/s800-Ic42/lukeleiakiss.jpg

Napoleon
11-08-15, 07:47 PM
Here it is in video form, 8 minutes of your life, for you anti-Redditers. Pretty convincing.

8yy3q9f84EA

Thanks, I could watch Natalie Portman all day long.

As to the theory, very interesting. He has sold me, but that does not really mean much.

So what do you think?

WickerBill
11-08-15, 08:03 PM
Note on my opinion: I had never seen any Star Wars movies until about two months ago. I watched them all in theatrical order.

JJB made no sense to me and I hated him (not exactly a unique position for me to take), but I didn't understand Dooku at all. He didn't feel like he fit in the story, and that's coming from someone who really enjoys Christopher Lee's work.

And based on the earlier opinion that Lucas makes it up as he goes along, it wouldn't surprise me to see him bail out on JJB - basically admitting he took the clown aspect too far.

The bigger question is - will Disney and JJ (Jar Jar?) Abrams bring back JJB and resurrect the original intent - if indeed it was the original intent?

dando
11-08-15, 08:24 PM
Note on my opinion: I had never seen any Star Wars movies until about two months ago.

:eek: :saywhat: :p

Dude... ;)

Empire is by far the best. A New Hope was Earth shattering (the debut of ILM special effects). Lucas lost it afterwards...Howard the Duck? Willow? :shakehead:

TravelGal
11-09-15, 02:56 AM
I suppose I asked for it, but I haven't read / seen any Harry Potter and I think you just gave me a "Rosebud was a sled" moment. :) Oh well, saved me a lot of movie watchin'!

Well yes, you did. Sorry. I feel bad about it but I would never have thought anyone with children would not have seen the movies. :(
But don't worry, I didn't say it took 3 movies, I said it took a while. You'd have caught on anyway. I thought so about 3/4 the way through the first movie. Then I was intrigued to find out what was really going on. And it's hardly one of the major plot devices. Still, I'm sorry.

Napoleon
11-09-15, 06:01 AM
Note on my opinion: I had never seen any Star Wars movies until about two months ago. I watched them all in theatrical order.

That may put you in a better position to access the theory.

pfc_m_drake
11-09-15, 10:23 AM
The bigger question is - will Disney and JJ (Jar Jar?) Abrams bring back JJB and resurrect the original intent - if indeed it was the original intent?Since Disney now rules the Star Wars Universe, your bigger question should be, "How long before Anna and Elsa make an appearance?"

dando
11-09-15, 10:42 AM
Since Disney now rules the Star Wars Universe, your bigger question should be, "How long before Anna and Elsa make an appearance?"

Do not go there. ;) There is such a love/hate relationship with Frozen that I don't get. :saywhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

That being said, Olaf will appear in the Force Awakens as the new Yoda. :gomer: ;)

TKGAngel
11-09-15, 01:46 PM
That being said, Olaf will appear in the Force Awakens as the new Yoda. :gomer: ;)

Or is edited into a remastered version of Empire Strikes Back as a resident of Hoth. If it wouldn't traumatize the kiddies, he would be the one that Han & Luke spent the night in, not the tauntaun.

dando
11-09-15, 02:31 PM
Or is edited into a remastered version of Empire Strikes Back as a resident of Hoth. If it wouldn't traumatize the kiddies, he would be the one that Han & Luke spent the night in, not the tauntaun.

Quick, before Lucas changes it again. #TBBT ;)

dando
11-09-15, 02:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXmp1hLK0tY

:)

Insomniac
11-09-15, 03:50 PM
Since Disney now rules the Star Wars Universe, your bigger question should be, "How long before Anna and Elsa make an appearance?"

Funny, but Star Wars doesn't need it. The real question is on prequels, separate movies for other characters. Whole new movies in the universe. Disney has to sell the merch!

pfc_m_drake
11-09-15, 10:38 PM
Funny, but Star Wars doesn't need it. The real question is on prequels, separate movies for other characters. Whole new movies in the universe. Disney has to sell the merch!
You obviously haven't been to "Anna & Elsa Present The Walt Disney World Resort Powered by Sven and Olaf" in the last year or so.
They've even done away with the Fairy Godmother lighting *Cinderella's* Castle at Christmas Time now, opting instead for A Frozen Holiday Wish (http://thedisneyblog.com/2015/08/10/a-frozen-holiday-wish-returns-as-part-of-2015-holiday-season-lineup/). At Cinderella's Castle. Pretty soon that mouse will be just a bad, distant memory. What's his name again...Ricky...Ticky....I forget.

dando
11-09-15, 11:12 PM

TBT, my last trip to WDW was in 11/13. Just after Frozen was released. Saw it on my DCL cruise. It was a mad scramble to find Frozen merchandise. They missed the boat, but now it's overkill. I had to look all over for Olaf, Sven, etc. Now Anna & Elsa own the castle, have a show at DHS, and the Norway pavilion in EPCOT is now Frozen. :saywhat:

pfc_m_drake
11-09-15, 11:21 PM
TBT, my last trip to WDW was in 11/13. Just after Frozen was released. Saw it on my DCL cruise. It was a mad scramble to find Frozen merchandise. They missed the boat, but now it's overkill. I had to look all over for Olaf, Sven, etc. Now Anna & Elsa own the castle, have a show at DHS, and the Norway pavilion in EPCOT is now Frozen. :saywhat:Even better - they're installing Arendelle into World Showcase Lagoon.

But I feel bad that we're crapping in WB's thread here, so maybe we should give back on topic.

datachicane
11-09-15, 11:54 PM
But I feel bad that we're crapping in WB's thread here, so maybe we should give back on topic.

Yep. This is George Lucas, not Nabokov. Subtlety and complexity ain't exactly his strong suit. Heck, he's lucky if he can keep the names straight.

The heart of Star Wars was always Lucas' ardent hope that your memory was worse than his. Someone who cared more than I do would have an easy time putting together a long, long list of the obvious times he changed his mind mid-stream. Multi-film plotting? Give me a break.

In fact, I'd argue that Marcia Lou Griffin was responsible for the cool bits, not Lucas, which is why the prequels suck as much as they do.

WickerBill
11-10-15, 09:45 AM
data, I'm willing to argue that your point about changing his mind almost validates this idea. He spends a decade thinking about 1-3, invents JJB, and then completely backs off/changes his idea when the fans scream.

devilmaster
11-10-15, 10:36 AM
Multi-film plotting? Give me a break.

first 3 monutes... the classic outline for episodes 7-12

7Vg-rYlytBY