PDA

View Full Version : Ecclestone & Todt cut deal to use IndyCar engines in F1?!?!

cameraman
10-24-15, 03:32 AM
It's in German and I can't tell if this is real or not but...

In order to solve the Gordian knot in the motor misery, to be dumped on the market already in 2017 an alternative engine. The presentation is scheduled for next week. The engine should be good enough to beat a Mercedes. And it should be available for everyone. The price is set at EUR 6 million.

For the customer the engine it should be a 2.2-liter V6 biturbo. That is the basis of IndyCar engines that are currently offered by Chevrolet and Honda in the US scene. Whether a standard KERS is to come under discussion. The technology to be available at low cost. Simulations The FIA ​​then determines where the boost limit should be such that such a motor is competitive.

The FIA ​​will likely launch a tender as early as next week. It is expected that Cosworth and Ilmor submit tenders. Ilmor would ideally equipped. The troupe of Mario Illien builds IndyCar engines for Chevrolet. Ilmor takes the engine only from alcohol to gasoline convert.

The fuel consumption will increase significantly compared to the hybrid racers. It is estimated that 30 to 40 liters more for the race distance. And the construction of new cars, because the tank needs to be greater extent. Therefore, the debut of the motor is only possible in 2017. The alternative engine is also one of the possible lifeline for Red Bull. What is clear why the Austrians are looking for at the moment only one motor for one year.

Needless to say Mercedes, Ferrari & Renault are not the least bit happy about this

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/krieg-in-der-formel-1-fia-plant-alternativ-motor-fuer-2017-10215314.html

dando
10-24-15, 08:08 AM
Combine the series and be done with it. :irked:

Insomniac
10-24-15, 02:26 PM
Maybe it's true they're looking for whatever powerplant to supply and it's opinion that IndyCar has matching specs that would work? It is a crazy plan. I mean, if they get engines with more power, the current manufacturer's won't be happy (to say the least). If they aren't more powerful, they can already get those engines now within spec (2015 engines for 2016 from Ferrari).

nissan gtp
10-24-15, 08:12 PM
sounds like nonsense to me

NismoZ
10-26-15, 08:34 AM
Nonsense? Really? Must be TRUE then!:)