PDA

View Full Version : From NYTimes Archive

Mary
10-04-15, 11:53 AM
Don't know if you can read this, the New York Times is funky about access (I have a subscription) but I ran across this today. I read a news article in this issue and decided to look to see what was going on in 1970 when I was 13 years old, when I ran across this:

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1970/10/05/issue.html

It is from the Monday, October 5, 1970 edition, click to page 78.

Mary

TravelGal
10-05-15, 12:43 PM
It opened for me. I took the time throughout this morning to go page by page until I got to 78. It struck me how much we lost when those elegant drawings changed to "art" or photos: The human touch that brought you into the advertisements. Gimbels, Lord & Taylor, such storied names. An ad by an airline FOR a travel agent! It also struck me how, not similar but, the SAME so many problems are now. The stories are all the same, just the cast of characters has changed. Page 78 was a revelation. I wasn't a race fan then but can certainly appreciate it now. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Gopeddle
10-05-15, 03:39 PM
Thanks for that little bit of yesterday. I too enjoyed seeing the Don Troudsdell designed ads for Barney's and all the ads influenced by Push Pin Studios. Great stuff. I was also surprised to see the prize money listed for the finishing positions at the Glenn. When did they put a lid on publishing the purses?

SteveH
10-05-15, 04:21 PM
Don't know if you can read this, the New York Times is funky about access (I have a subscription) but I ran across this today. I read a news article in this issue and decided to look to see what was going on in 1970 when I was 13 years old, when I ran across this:

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1970/10/05/issue.html

It is from the Monday, October 5, 1970 edition, click to page 78.

Mary

Thanks, an article on the same page Jones's Mustang a Wins Coast Race is interesting as well. Buried in it Dan Gurney announces his retirement as a competitive driver. Kind of a big deal, also.

Napoleon
10-05-15, 05:21 PM
Don't know if you can read this, the New York Times is funky about access (I have a subscription) but I ran across this today. I read a news article in this issue and decided to look to see what was going on in 1970 when I was 13 years old

At first I thought you were referring to the first page so I was wondering what caught your fancy, Janis Joplin dying? Current NFL commissioner’s Roger Godell’s father shown at a parade?

It opened for me. I took the time throughout this morning to go page by page until I got to 78. It struck me how much we lost when those elegant drawings changed to "art" or photos: The human touch that brought you into the advertisements.

Same with me. When I was a kid my parents had a friend who did that for a living in the town I grew up in. Hard to imagine these days that something like that comes from a neighbor unless you live in Manhattan or LA, maybe Chicago.

gjc2
10-05-15, 07:19 PM
There was a story about the death of Janis Joplin.

Mary
10-10-15, 02:16 PM
Thanks, an article on the same page Jones's Mustang a Wins Coast Race is interesting as well. Buried in it Dan Gurney announces his retirement as a competitive driver. Kind of a big deal, also.

I completely missed that, wow!

Mary

Mary
10-10-15, 02:23 PM
At first I thought you were referring to the first page so I was wondering what caught your fancy, Janis Joplin dying? Current NFL commissioner’s Roger Godell’s father shown at a parade?

Same with me. When I was a kid my parents had a friend who did that for a living in the town I grew up in. Hard to imagine these days that something like that comes from a neighbor unless you live in Manhattan or LA, maybe Chicago.

I read the Joplin article and googled to see if that was Godell's father! Living in NYC, I couldn't help but look at the real estate ads! Frankly, it wasn't all that cheap considering it was 1970! A friend of mine did work in advertising, but 2008 did in the agency where he worked and he has since left the field.

Mary

Mary
10-10-15, 02:39 PM
It opened for me. I took the time throughout this morning to go page by page until I got to 78. It struck me how much we lost when those elegant drawings changed to "art" or photos: The human touch that brought you into the advertisements. Gimbels, Lord & Taylor, such storied names. An ad by an airline FOR a travel agent! It also struck me how, not similar but, the SAME so many problems are now. The stories are all the same, just the cast of characters has changed. Page 78 was a revelation. I wasn't a race fan then but can certainly appreciate it now. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I enjoyed looking at each page and reading the ads, too. Gimbels had closed by the time I moved here in 1987, but I did shop there once on a visit to NYC in 1985. I remember how junky and dirty it was, yuck. Lord & Taylor was still around and I occasionally shopped there. I don't really remember if I ever shopped at the one in Cleveland, so I was determined to shop at the one here. It was fine, it certainly wasn't in the condition that Gimbels was in before it closed and it was a lot better than B. Altman was in its death-throws, but except for their great shoe department, I can't say I was really impressed.

I worked for a tour operator when I first moved to NYC and while looking at the old Times, I saw a travel-related ad that made me shake my head a bit. Don't remember what it was, but I had a similar reaction to yours, at the time.

Mary