PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 update query...

dando
09-26-15, 07:29 AM
OK, so I have exhausted all resources online, M$FT support, etc. Windows Update ceased working on 2 PCs. One was installing updates a year ago, but fails now with 50+ updates waiting. The other has had a FRESH install of Win 7 on a failed HD and replacement HD. It installs the Win Update 'fix' but fails afterwords. Thoughts? I've hit the brick wall on this one. :irked:

Insomniac
09-27-15, 04:52 PM
OK, so I have exhausted all resources online, M$FT support, etc. Windows Update ceased working on 2 PCs. One was installing updates a year ago, but fails now with 50+ updates waiting. The other has had a FRESH install of Win 7 on a failed HD and replacement HD. It installs the Win Update 'fix' but fails afterwords. Thoughts? I've hit the brick wall on this one. :irked:

What do you mean by ceased working?

dando
09-28-15, 08:39 AM
What do you mean by ceased working?

The desktop has updates listed going back to 2014. I really haven't used it this year, and have tried to run update, it installed a few, but just spins now, and I leave it running all night. The laptop with a fresh install of Win 7 installs an update service update, but just spins after that. I have run Fix It, checked the update service active, etc. but nothing.

Insomniac
09-28-15, 02:40 PM
The desktop has updates listed going back to 2014. I really haven't used it this year, and have tried to run update, it installed a few, but just spins now, and I leave it running all night. The laptop with a fresh install of Win 7 installs an update service update, but just spins after that. I have run Fix It, checked the update service active, etc. but nothing.

In what stage is the icon spinning? Is it during installation? If so, what is it installing?

dando
09-28-15, 04:02 PM
In what stage is the icon spinning? Is it during installation? If so, what is it installing?

Searching for updates. It's on the laptop more than once for 10-12 hours. Nothing was downloaded. The desktop did show some downloads with a Failed status.

Insomniac
09-29-15, 10:26 AM
Searching for updates. It's on the laptop more than once for 10-12 hours. Nothing was downloaded. The desktop did show some downloads with a Failed status.

There's a Windows Update troubleshooter here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2730071

dando
09-29-15, 01:12 PM
There's a Windows Update troubleshooter here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2730071

Odd part is that the Update just spins on the laptop, with so sign of anything being I've let it run 12+ hours. I ran the Fix It tool and an advanced Fix It utility. The advanced version shows a registry error being fixed (on a clean install with nothing else installed?), re-checked that the Update service is running, and still nothing.

The desktop is the same deal, does show it attempts to download some updates with the Failed status. I managed to get some updates to install, it's down to 53 items to install from 71, but just spins on the last batch. Very odd.

pfc_m_drake
09-29-15, 06:08 PM
You can try and download all the updates that you need manually. Then you can install them one-by-one, after which you'll either know which has failed, or you may find that installing an update solves your lack of automatic updates problem.

To download manually, you can use the Windows Update Catalog. Here's a rip from another website of what you need to do:

1.First Go to below site Using Internet Explorer Only:
http://test.catalog.update.microsoft.com/
2.Allow Addon or Activex after that Microsoft catalog Page loads.
3.Type Wondows 7 in the search box.
4.Add all the Necessary windows 7 updates which you require to your basket.
5. Finally click on View Basket where all added updates are present click on Download & make Update Folder in any location.
That’s all - all updates downloaded in that Folder.

Note that at step 4, you can sort the updates by date, so that you download only the updates you need going back to your last successful update. At the top of the pane you'll see some boxes labeled, 'Title', 'Products', 'Classification', and then 'Date' or 'Last Updated'. Click where it says Date (or Last Updated) and it will sort them in chronological order with the latest release first. You can then add the updates that you need to your basket, download, and install away.

dando
09-29-15, 08:04 PM
You can try and download all the updates that you need manually. Then you can install them one-by-one, after which you'll either know which has failed, or you may find that installing an update solves your lack of automatic updates problem.

To download manually, you can use the Windows Update Catalog. Here's a rip from another website of what you need to do:

1.First Go to below site Using Internet Explorer Only:
http://test.catalog.update.microsoft.com/
2.Allow Addon or Activex after that Microsoft catalog Page loads.
3.Type Wondows 7 in the search box.
4.Add all the Necessary windows 7 updates which you require to your basket.
5. Finally click on View Basket where all added updates are present click on Download & make Update Folder in any location.
That’s all - all updates downloaded in that Folder.

Note that at step 4, you can sort the updates by date, so that you download only the updates you need going back to your last successful update. At the top of the pane you'll see some boxes labeled, 'Title', 'Products', 'Classification', and then 'Date' or 'Last Updated'. Click where it says Date (or Last Updated) and it will sort them in chronological order with the latest release first. You can then add the updates that you need to your basket, download, and install away.

OK, I'll give that a whirl, but doesn't explain the failure to download updates on the laptop with a new HD and fresh install of Windows 7. At this point I'm assuming the initial Windows Update update is causing the problem, and will continue so in the future.

pfc_m_drake
09-29-15, 08:26 PM
OK, I'll give that a whirl, but doesn't explain the failure to download updates on the laptop with a new HD and fresh install of Windows 7. At this point I'm assuming the initial Windows Update update is causing the problem, and will continue so in the future.
When you did the fresh install, was it Windows 7 Regular, or did it have SP1 integrated?
If it was regular, you might try slipstreaming SP1 into the installation media, THEN install that for your fresh OS.

Additionally, you can also slipstream all the updates that you're about to download into the install media as well. Then you'll have a current install with complete updates as of today.

dando
09-29-15, 08:34 PM
When you did the fresh install, was it Windows 7 Regular, or did it have SP1 integrated?
If it was regular, you might try slipstreaming SP1 into the installation media, THEN install that for your fresh OS.

Additionally, you can also slipstream all the updates that you're about to download into the install media as well. Then you'll have a current install with complete updates as of today.

Win 7 with SP1. One of the first things I checked was whether it needed an SP update.

pfc_m_drake
09-29-15, 08:54 PM
Win 7 with SP1. One of the first things I checked was whether it needed an SP update.
Ok - I'd probably try going the manual route then.

Like I said, keep them around and if you find that installing the updates manually resolves the issue, then slipstream them into your install and use that if you ever need to refresh again.

dando
10-01-15, 12:25 AM
I found some further info as well....

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/how-install-failed-windows-updates/c5cf3a1d-f825-4745-a6a8-83613021a0eb?auth=1

Srsly? Clean install and this shizz? :saywhat: :shakehead: I kinda get the desktop, which is ~5 years old, but little if any use the past 18 mos. or so.

As luck would have it, I'm now doing the Eli Capi OSX 24 hour download and install...overnight to get better bandwidth. Insomniac told me to do it. :gomer: Only 22 hours and 36 minutes to go.... :saywhat:

Insomniac
10-01-15, 11:23 AM
I found some further info as well....

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/how-install-failed-windows-updates/c5cf3a1d-f825-4745-a6a8-83613021a0eb?auth=1

Srsly? Clean install and this shizz? :saywhat: :shakehead: I kinda get the desktop, which is ~5 years old, but little if any use the past 18 mos. or so.

As luck would have it, I'm now doing the Eli Capi OSX 24 hour download and install...overnight to get better bandwidth. Insomniac told me to do it. :gomer: Only 22 hours and 36 minutes to go.... :saywhat:

Are you on dial-up? :)

dando
10-01-15, 01:08 PM
Are you on dial-up? :)

Does soup can and string count as dialup? :gomer: Srsly, it kept bouncing around from 17 or so to 20 odd hours, but it finished in 4-5 hours I estimate. Now for the fun part.... :\

cameraman
10-01-15, 02:22 PM
Why are you putting OSX x.0.0 on your computer?:saywhat: You a masochist?

I really prefer to allow others to find the catastrophic bugs.

dando
10-01-15, 04:18 PM
Why are you putting OSX x.0.0 on your computer?:saywhat: You a masochist?

I really prefer to allow others to find the catastrophic bugs.

Because Insomniac told me so. ;) I'm part beta tester by trade. One of the many hats I've worn over the years. Now I leave the beta testing to the 'young punks', but I do dip my toe in on new releases. I even pulled down the Cortana beta for Android. :D :eek: Haven't really used it much since I'm still GOOG's guinea pig/bitch for Google Now. :gomer:

BTW, Capi is a 6GB download. I was with CompuServe circa 1995 when we broke ground on a song download project with Aerosmith that was a few hundred MB. And were sweating bullets on that download. :eek:

Insomniac
10-02-15, 08:35 AM
BTW, Capi is a 6GB download. I was with CompuServe circa 1995 when we broke ground on a song download project with Aerosmith that was a few hundred MB. And were sweating bullets on that download. :eek:

Was that the whole album?

dando
10-02-15, 11:07 AM
Was that the whole album?

Nope. One song. Keep in mind this was around the time some guy named Cuban sold Broadband.com to Yahoo! for ~$2B, which followed a transaction with CServe in the early 90s.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1171860/bio

Not bad for some young punk from P-burgh (where I was hatched). And it was quite cool having Steve Perry, et al. in our Cbus HQ for the event. :)

And, yes, Capi is up and running fine with no hitches. :)

Insomniac
10-02-15, 01:10 PM
Nope. One song. Keep in mind this was around the time some guy named Cuban sold Broadband.com to Yahoo! for ~$2B, which followed a transaction with CServe in the early 90s.

Not bad for some young punk from P-burgh (where I was hatched). And it was quite cool having Steve Perry, et al. in our Cbus HQ for the event. :)

broadcast.com ;)

I was just surprised at the file size given the WAV files for a song off a CD were usually in the 10MB/min range. It's like you expanded them.

I hope you already see a performance improvement.

dando
10-02-15, 03:21 PM
broadcast.com ;)

I was just surprised at the file size given the WAV files for a song off a CD were usually in the 10MB/min range. It's like you expanded them.

I hope you already see a performance improvement.

Yes, and yes. Yes, I'm showing my age, and yes, performance has been been improved. Now on to the Windows Update Dragon... :\

cameraman
10-02-15, 08:01 PM

Suuuure

El Capitan discussion continues with links to compatibility databases and notes about Apple Mail problems, Secure Delete removal, Time Machine issues, Outlook problems, Adobe apps, Office 2016, mouse support software, music apps, Java, networking issues, Timbuktu and SIP, Panic Transmit, Brother printers, Thunderbolt FireWire adapters, iWeb and much more...

KLang
10-02-15, 08:20 PM
Suuuure

Just updated the second of my three macs. No problems so far. The old version of VMware still works even though I already bought the upgrade.

Probably wait a few more days before doing my main iMac.

dando
10-03-15, 04:55 AM
Suuuure

Slick as snot here. What the heck is a Brother printer? That's so 80s. :gomer: Firewire still exists? :p

cameraman
10-03-15, 06:15 AM
Slick as snot here. What the heck is a Brother printer? That's so 80s. :gomer: Firewire still exists? :p

The office here has Brother DCP-8155DN and I have expensive firewire scanners of all variety.

Does the new bootcamp run windows 7 properly? I'm not looking to run windows 10.

Most important does XQuartz still work?

dando
10-03-15, 06:56 AM
The office here has Brother DCP-8155DN and I have expensive firewire scanners of all variety.

Daisy chain? Ink blot? :gomer: ;)