PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Redwing's worst nightmare

Don Quixote
07-03-03, 04:52 PM
....Pierre LaCroix.

Kariya and Salanne back together again on the Avs. Could be interesting. :cool:

JoeBob
07-03-03, 05:39 PM
Those guys better score a lot of goals... The Avs are gonna need 'em!

Dr. Corkski
07-03-03, 06:58 PM
They better hope one of those two can actually play goalie.

devilmaster
07-03-03, 07:45 PM
This is complete WAG on my part, but what if Colorado signed these 2 as trade bait? Perhaps not Teemu, but why would Kariya sign a 1.2 million dollar contract?

Selanne went for less money also, taking 5.8 mill when he could have played out his option at SJ for 6.5.... Agreed perhaps he wants to win the cup and the Sharks are rebuilding...

So the big wild card in this is why Kariya would sign for only 1.2 million? (these numbers based on a league official on condition of anonimity) Is it a sign and trade deal?

No team wants to trade for big money, so Kariya agrees to sign for 1.2 and perhaps will get traded to a team for a goalie. Detroit might be having two.... Now I agree the last thing Holland wants to do is give one of his goalies to the arch-rival. But getting someone like Kariya, might just be worth it.

Kariya gets his team of choice, (assuming he has a BIG signing bonus), Colorado gets the goalie they want, and if plausible, Detroit gets rid of one goalie while getting one of the best forwards in the league.

Sounds plausible to me.

Steve

Ankf00
07-05-03, 05:52 PM
It's the bourque factor, take a paycut to be on a winner and win a cup. Kariya especially considering his concussion history... and Kariya + Selanne == one hell of a line, has to be plenty of endorsement money to be had from that combo as well

Joe in LA
07-07-03, 11:20 AM
Kariya and Selanne want to play together--its not a trade bait game. Because Kariya signed below the league average, he is unrestricted again at the end of the season--he is gambling that he and Selanne get a cup this year, and he gets back to his normal pay next season. IMHO

Don Quixote
07-07-03, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Joe in LA
Kariya and Selanne want to play together--its not a trade bait game. Because Kariya signed below the league average, he is unrestricted again at the end of the season--he is gambling that he and Selanne get a cup this year, and he gets back to his normal pay next season. IMHO
I agree, no trade bait game here. Turns out that Pierre LaCroix really didn't have much to do with this deal. He basically took a phone call from the players' agent, and the deal was done. Speculation around here is that Selanne and Kariya will be joined by Joe Sakic in an unbelievable line.

tllips
07-07-03, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
They better hope one of those two can actually play goalie.

So, who will Lacroix pick up for the pipes? Detroit will not give CuJo to them as that would pretty much seal Detroit's fate. Do you think The Avs will try and swing a three way without Detroit knowing it?

Can they pry Khabibulin from Tampa?

Joe in LA
07-07-03, 05:40 PM
If the Ducks keep handling this off season this well, maybe the Avs will pick up J-S Giguerre.

I've gotta tell you, it is really depressing to see this happen after the Ducks finally looked like they could be going somewhere. I'm very disappointed that Kariya bailed, but I can't believe the Ducks didn't do everything in their power to make sure he was happy and Selanne was on his way before they failed to make the qualifying offer.