PDA

View Full Version : Hinchcliff Interview

TedN
09-15-15, 06:55 PM
Talks about his Indy shunt and Justin amongst other things. The usual lucid and forthcoming Hinch.

Link (http://www.sportsnet.ca/shows/tim-and-sid-show/james-hinchcliffe-on-his-crash-and-the-death-of-justin-wilson/)

Ted

JoeBob
10-14-15, 03:00 PM
He wrote about getting back into the car for The Players Tribune: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/james-hinchcliffe-indycar-crash-return/

I don't even know what to make of that piece.

SteveH
10-14-15, 03:37 PM
I'm glad he's able to write about it. He's very lucky.

One thing that caught my eye is this, taking nothing away from his story....

The other drivers left the race track in the middle of practice to visit me in the hospital and see how I was doing — during Indy 500 week, no less, the biggest week of our season. Then they went back to the speedway and strapped back in and got back to work. That probably wasn’t easy for them to do — it was probably hell. The fact that some guys were willing to do that was incredible.

I can remember Tony George's quest to protect Indy. Right?

Chief
10-26-15, 12:23 PM
I was pinned to the car like a shish kabob.

What has been done to prevent this from happening again? The cars still fly (the diabetic dude in Pocono), the aero bits are flying all over the place (every crash in 2015 season and the spectators in St. Pete) and then it all got covered up by Wilson's death. Old parts are being used because Dallara / IMS is capitalizing on it's supply monopoly while guys like Sam Schmidt are clamoring for ways to lower costs. Sam Schmidt, an original IRL syncopat and parapalegic, who now wants to get more foreign money and driver because there's a market.

Aww heck, youse guys know the risks....quit this whining expose' s**** in the media because the stupid is purely evident. It's a legal form of Russian Roulette, AOW style and guys like Hinch know it.

Used to be it was worth the risk, now you can win at Indy on motorcycle or a Indy Lights car, vintage racer or even a SCCA championship. These IRL guys....I'm sorry, they're just looking like morOns now. :thumbdown:

TedN
07-22-17, 10:35 AM
More details on Hinchcliffe's medical situation by the surgeon who worked on him at the hospital. Good read.

Link (https://www.thestar.com/autos/2017/07/22/hinchcliffes-surgeon-is-a-true-angel-in-disguise.html)

Ted

TravelGal
07-23-17, 02:54 PM
More details on Hinchcliffe's medical situation by the surgeon who worked on him at the hospital. Good read.

Link (https://www.thestar.com/autos/2017/07/22/hinchcliffes-surgeon-is-a-true-angel-in-disguise.html)

Ted

I was holding breath reading this, even two years later. So did they get Pohlman or not? They really did need a surgeon but what good does one do on transport?

TKGAngel
07-24-17, 12:52 PM
I was holding breath reading this, even two years later. So did they get Pohlman or not? They really did need a surgeon but what good does one do on transport?

I think they did. It sounds like they made a rolling stop for the doc to get on the ambulance before getting to Methodist.

This past June, NBCSN aired a documentary about the Indycar safety team called "Yellow Yellow Yellow" and they went into detail about the crash. The program was really well done and even talked about the post-crash investigation process. They even included photos of the piece of suspension and the hole in the tub to put things in perspective. For all of Indycar's faults, they responded quickly to what happened, adding extra reinforcements to the tub to prevent future kebab'ing.

It is still amazing how well Hinch recovered. He looked like death on a triscuit in photos after the crash (rightfully so) and he went on to not only drive again, but display a set of abs on Dancing With the Stars that you could bounce a quarter off of.

TravelGal
07-25-17, 02:34 PM
I think they did. It sounds like they made a rolling stop for the doc to get on the ambulance before getting to Methodist.

This past June, NBCSN aired a documentary about the Indycar safety team called "Yellow Yellow Yellow" and they went into detail about the crash. The program was really well done and even talked about the post-crash investigation process. They even included photos of the piece of suspension and the hole in the tub to put things in perspective. For all of Indycar's faults, they responded quickly to what happened, adding extra reinforcements to the tub to prevent future kebab'ing.

It is still amazing how well Hinch recovered. He looked like death on a triscuit in photos after the crash (rightfully so) and he went on to not only drive again, but display a set of abs on Dancing With the Stars that you could bounce a quarter off of.

:thumbup: