PDA

View Full Version : The lost T's

nrc
08-29-15, 12:06 PM
What is happening to "these kids today" that they have decided that hard T's may be silent? "It's impor-ent to fassen the buh-ens on your shirt." It drives me crazy to listen to them. What consonant will they next decide is optional? :irked:

TravelGal
08-29-15, 12:50 PM
This drives me up the wall. We lived in San Diego years ago and listen to 1090 sports radio. In a variation of your post, it is: The Mighdy Ten Nindey. I shiver almost every time I hear it. :thumbdown:

Kiwifan
08-29-15, 02:15 PM
If I had anythink to add to this conversation, I would. :D

WickerBill
08-29-15, 09:46 PM
Started in California. You nailed it; I especially hate the word "buttons" said this way. "Buh-INS".

opinionated ow
08-29-15, 10:59 PM
I'm stuck in Adelaide at the moment. It is the mispronunciation capital of the world (it gave the world Julia Gillard, former Australian Prime Minister).

Some local examples:
Hills (hee-yewls)
Lego (Lay-go)
Transplant (Trans-plarnt one short a, one posh a. they don't say ant as they would aunt though)

Americans have a global reputation for being ignorant about geography but South Australians take the cake. They can't even pronounce place names in other states...of the same bloody country!

SteveH
08-30-15, 03:55 AM
then/than bugs the hell out of me, but it is mostly an Internet thing, don't believe I've heard it spoken

Andrew Longman
08-30-15, 12:30 PM
Started in California. You nailed it; I especially hate the word "buttons" said this way. "Buh-INS".

Maybe.

But in Jersey our state capital is (properly ;) ) pronounced "Tre-Hun"... With a hard H sort of as if you were clearing your throat. Same with Often (off-hen) and yes, Buttons (buh-hinz).

But I doubt anyone is deliberately trying to look cool by speaking Jersey. Well, there was the Jersey Shore show but none of the cast and few of the knuckleheads they encountered in the show were actually from Jersey. There is a differences to ears here between north and south Jersey accents as well as between Philly vs South Philly and New York/Brooklyn versus Queens/Long Island.

My pet peeve is "Youze" as in "Youze geeyize wanna geeyet sum pork sandwichez?

WickerBill
08-30-15, 12:36 PM
Difference: in proper English until the 1980s, the t in often was not supposed to be pronounced. It unfortunately is one of those items that teachers of English just gave up on.

Buttons, on the other hand - those are not silent Ts! :)

I said California just because the first time I ever heard it was in a documentary (of sorts) about Valley Girl language and how much of it, like, stuck in today's, like, culture. They mentioned what they called "lazy Ts".

Andrew Longman
08-30-15, 01:08 PM
Difference: in proper English until the 1980s, the t in often was not supposed to be pronounced. It unfortunately is one of those items that teachers of English just gave up on.

Hmmm. My wife who is of Brooklyn parents and schooled in private English schools in Puerto Rico during the 60-70s always says "off-ten" and I am always startled. I think she is trying to act smart or something. :)

BTW if you are from Queen/LI it is pronounced "oy-fen". Coffee is "coy-fee" too. The softer the "oy" the closer you are to Jersey where it becomes "caw-fee"

But I digress

Napoleon
08-31-15, 08:40 AM
Wow, talk about a bunch of older people shaking their fist at the clouds.

Memo to everyone, 439 languages spoken today are Indo-European, which mean they all came from the same source language, but because of stuff like the above they are no longer the same language. You are all peeing into the wind with your complaints.

Plus it doesn't seem to have destroyed the Earth over all these years.

Dvdb
08-31-15, 10:52 AM
Be that as it may, it shows a lack of education and/or laziness. In my view, you lose credibility when you bastardize common English. And don't get me started on the their/there bs. There is a reason why they teach the basics in grade school.

opinionated ow
08-31-15, 10:59 AM
Be that as it may, it shows a lack of education and/or laziness. In my view, you lose credibility when you bastardize common English. And don't get me started on the their/there bs. There is a reason why they teach the basics in grade school.

Exactly. The latest from Adelaide newsreaders is to pronounce world as wee-erld. How do you get two syllables and so many vowels out of such a simple word?

Insomniac
08-31-15, 12:56 PM
How about a young person complaint. The return of backslash when you mean forward slash or just slash.

cameraman
08-31-15, 12:58 PM
How about a young person complaint. The return of backslash when you mean forward slash or just slash.

Speaking as a relatively old person, huh?

Andrew Longman
08-31-15, 02:42 PM
Speaking as a relatively old person, huh?Or adding Yo, Bro, Dude (a non-Lebowskie-esque dude no less) bitch or ***** at the end of every sentence as if it is punctuation.

cameraman
08-31-15, 03:01 PM
Well the coverage of the MTV VMA broadcast makes me feel positively geriatric...

dando
08-31-15, 04:39 PM
Well the coverage of the MTV VMA broadcast makes me feel positively geriatric...

Admit it, yer eagerly awaiting Kanye's 2020 campaign. :saywhat: I hope someone does a 'MTV killed the video star' song one of these days. Why the VMAs are even newsworthy (certainly not watchable) is beyond me.

Dvdb
08-31-15, 04:55 PM
Face it, we aren't the target market for MTV. Hell, we are all old enough to remember when MTV actually played videos.

That said, I always thought the VMAs existed solely as a platform for egotistical "artists" to call attention to themselves, and thus MTV. See the fawning on the Today show this morning. I could not care less about that Minaj cretin, that Kanye thinks he should/could run for President, or that one of the Kardashians wore an army tent, or little Hannah Montana had several wardrobe malfunctions.

But, hey, that's just me.

Now, please get off my lawn.

Don Quixote
08-31-15, 05:12 PM
MTV doesn't play videos?

cameraman
08-31-15, 05:37 PM
I remember heading across town to an apartment complex that had cable tv!!!! to see the first broadcast of MTV.

Ah for the days of Nina Blackwood and Martha Quinn:D

dando
08-31-15, 06:31 PM
MTV doesn't play videos?

M_V hit its peak in '92...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-XACODjHfc

:D

TKGAngel
08-31-15, 07:41 PM
I always thought the VMAs existed solely as a platform for egotistical "artists" to call attention to themselves, and thus MTV.

Yes. The VMAs and Movie Awards are just an attention grabbing moment. And good grief, ladies; leave something to the imagination. Or at least do it tastefully. :shakehead:

I had a "WTF / am I that old moment" when I first learned that a cast member from a mid-90s season of The Real World is now a member of the United States Congress.

chop456
09-01-15, 02:29 AM
What is happening to "these kids today" that they have decided that hard T's may be silent? "It's impor-ent to fassen the buh-ens on your shirt." It drives me crazy to listen to them. What consonant will they next decide is optional? :irked:

Every time I hear Jack White's "Lazaretto", I want to punch my radio. :D

mapguy
09-01-15, 06:16 AM
I axe you. Is this any worse than using 'like' several times in a sentence?

Insomniac
09-01-15, 09:20 AM
Speaking as a relatively old person, huh?

Heh, advertisers still care about me (barely). ;)

Don Quixote
09-01-15, 09:26 AM
I axe you. Is this any worse than using 'like' several times in a sentence? We have thirty somethings in our office that still do that.

Andrew Longman
09-01-15, 02:48 PM
I remember heading across town to an apartment complex that had cable tv!!!! to see the first broadcast of MTV.

Ah for the days of Nina Blackwood and Martha Quinn:D

I must be a real dinosaur. I remember THEN thinking WTF. And I was in their demographic (barely) at the time.