PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist fraud

dando
08-11-15, 03:49 PM
I'm dealing with a fraud issue with an item I'm selling on Craigslist. I smelled the fraud attempt out immediately and have a police report filed. Now I'm trying to splice the txt message thread together, but it is quite lengthy (a couple dozen txts). Does anyone have a clue on sharing an entire thread? I can share individual txts, but it's painstaking. I'm sending them to Gmail and copying them to WordPad to create a single document to e-mail to the police. I'm using Android Messenger as my txt client.

KLang
08-11-15, 04:02 PM
Sorry I can't help but a question. What sort of fraud are you talking about? I've only used Craigslist once, to sell my previous iMac. Other than being a little nervous having a stranger come to my house it worked OK. Curious what to look out for as I have a couple nearly new appliances I've been meaning to list.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Elmo T
08-11-15, 04:03 PM
What amount of documentation does the PD need? Screen shots, a video of you scrolling back through the texts?

dando
08-11-15, 04:38 PM
Sorry I can't help but a question. What sort of fraud are you talking about? I've only used Craigslist once, to sell my previous iMac. Other than being a little nervous having a stranger come to my house it worked OK. Curious what to look out for as I have a couple nearly new appliances I've been meaning to list.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

First time for Craigslist for me as well. I was very leery having seen all of the horror stories. Some local PDs have even setup safe zones for Craigslist exchanges. I've used eBay to sell items with no problem for several items. Anyway this is large furniture, armoire/AV cabinet, dining room set, office furniture, washer/dryer. The 'buyer' was requesting 'excess money' be sent via Moneygram. The phone number used for the txts was area code 513 (Dayton/Cincy), but the Moneygram address was in MS. They even threatened to contact the FBI if I didn't get back to them ASAP while I was in the hospital and didn't have my phone.

dando
08-11-15, 04:49 PM
What amount of documentation does the PD need? Screen shots, a video of you scrolling back through the texts?

Left a vmail with the officer to find out what is important since some of the txts are repetitive. Obviously running multiple scams. One txt mentions sending the funds via FedEx and another via USPS. The police report has been submitted as well as a copy of the returned deposited item. The reason for return was the account could not be located. I last heard from the 'buyer' on Sunday, smelled the turd, and replied 'Nice try'. No response received since. I then called the cops to find out if I work through them or Craigslist. The phone is likely what the officer termed a burner, which are the throw away phones crooks are using these days.

BTW, something for you guys to do while Pope is in town to get a cheese steak:

http://news.yahoo.com/bunk-battleship-during-popes-philadelphia-visit-132140208.html

:)

Insomniac
08-11-15, 05:03 PM
You weren't actually defrauded, right? Will the police investigate? I imagine that this Scam happens all the time. On Amazon, they offer to pay outside of Amazon. I never report them.

Andrew Longman
08-11-15, 06:48 PM
...something for you guys to do while Pope is in town to get a cheese steak:

http://news.yahoo.com/bunk-battleship-during-popes-philadelphia-visit-132140208.html

I was just down there with a friend a few weeks ago. First time without kids in tow and I actually got a chance to read stuff and really enjoy it.

Heard about the bunk rental on the radio over the weekend.

Good luck wit the fraud thing. Sorry I can't help.

KLang
08-12-15, 08:55 AM
First time for Craigslist for me as well. I was very leery having seen all of the horror stories. Some local PDs have even setup safe zones for Craigslist exchanges. I've used eBay to sell items with no problem for several items. Anyway this is large furniture, armoire/AV cabinet, dining room set, office furniture, washer/dryer. The 'buyer' was requesting 'excess money' be sent via Moneygram. The phone number used for the txts was area code 513 (Dayton/Cincy), but the Moneygram address was in MS. They even threatened to contact the FBI if I didn't get back to them ASAP while I was in the hospital and didn't have my phone.

Thanks, I'll insist on cash.

datachicane
08-12-15, 12:05 PM
I've bought and sold a ton over Craigslist, only problems I've had were folks flaking out/no-shows.

I've sold everything from cars and parts to umpteen hundred board-feet of teak to antique tools to pressure washers, bicycles, electronics of all sorts, musical instruments, furniture, kid's stuff, you name it. Even went with a buddy to buy a high-end bicycle that had been stolen out of that same buddy's garage a couple days earlier, that was interesting :eek:.

Always, always cash, usually a busy public place (I've met folks in my driveway for small/cheap stuff).

dando
08-14-15, 10:50 AM
I have another one of these bastards. Selling the old Duet washer/dryer set for $500. Not bad since they were $1800 initially and in great condition. Anyway, the 'buyer' wants the remaining funds sent back for the shipper. I have one check I can't account for a purchase in the amount of $3950. I've sifted through my texts and e-mails from a couple of weeks while I was in the hospital for a few days. Nobody in their right mind would send a $3950 check for a $500 purchase. So I e-mailed this cat back and stated I need a check or money order for $500 or no dice. What the **** is wrong with these idiots? At least this 'buyer' isn't as brazen as the last one that gave me specific instructions with name, address, etc. for the Moneygram refund. Oh, and when I didn't get back to them when I didn't have my phone while in the hospital, the 'buyer' was brazen enough to send texts yelling at me and threatening to contact the FBI, and another that they would assassinate my family. Jeebus this is ridiculous. I don't want to go the consignment route since I only get 50% of the sale proceeds. This is really good furniture that should sell itself.

Tifosi24
08-14-15, 11:02 AM
You might want to consider going the facebook garage sale route. I am sure there are groups in your area, but my wife uses them all the time. That way, the Prince of Nigeria can't try to do this garbage with you because you see the people interacting with you and there is better verification of the person.

Insomniac
08-14-15, 12:29 PM
I have another one of these bastards. Selling the old Duet washer/dryer set for $500. Not bad since they were $1800 initially and in great condition. Anyway, the 'buyer' wants the remaining funds sent back for the shipper. I have one check I can't account for a purchase in the amount of $3950. I've sifted through my texts and e-mails from a couple of weeks while I was in the hospital for a few days. Nobody in their right mind would send a $3950 check for a $500 purchase. So I e-mailed this cat back and stated I need a check or money order for $500 or no dice. What the **** is wrong with these idiots? At least this 'buyer' isn't as brazen as the last one that gave me specific instructions with name, address, etc. for the Moneygram refund. Oh, and when I didn't get back to them when I didn't have my phone while in the hospital, the 'buyer' was brazen enough to send texts yelling at me and threatening to contact the FBI, and another that they would assassinate my family. Jeebus this is ridiculous. I don't want to go the consignment route since I only get 50% of the sale proceeds. This is really good furniture that should sell itself.

I usually only take cash or credit card via PayPal Here (Square is a populat alternative) in person. PayPal if shipping something. You should consider keeping your options for payment limited and assume anyone who doesn't want to use them is trying to defraud you.

BTW--There's nothing wrong with them. They're scatter bombing ads. They don't care what you send back, they're playing the percentages someone will.

datachicane
08-14-15, 01:00 PM
IYou should consider keeping your options for payment limited and assume anyone who doesn't want to use them is trying to defraud you.

+10

Just for fun, when you get those sketchy responses randomly change the item that they're purportedly trying to buy. Bounce from a $50 TV to a $5k rusty Huffy bicycle to a $25,000 kid's Little Tykes ride-on toy. They won't even notice, guaranteed, since they're bombing thousands of listings simultaneously and can't keep them straight. I tweak with'em just for fun sometimes, try to get them to send a SASE to some bogus address, but no way would I take them seriously or give them any actual contact info.

dando
08-14-15, 01:42 PM
Thanks. We have one for our area, so I submitted my join request. Might be able to move a few heavier items I don't want to list on eBay. I don't want to run another full blown like we did last year.

dando
08-14-15, 02:44 PM
Not sure if this is number 2 or 3, but the check issued for $3495 is also bogus. Not even a very good attempt since the bottom line on the check does not have anything close to a valid routing and transit number.

DEFINITION of 'Routing Transit Number - RTN' A nine-digit numerical code used to identify a banking or other financial institution to clear funds or process checks in the U.S

This one has strings of 9, 9 and 10 digit numbers. It would be bounced when Chase tried to process it. :shakehead:

dando
08-18-15, 03:35 PM
I'm 4 for 4 on fraud attempts. The latest cat sent a check and kept in contact me me until yesterday inquiring whether the check had cleared yet. I called Chase and they said that it looked OK. Note this was a 'cashier's check' for $2K and the item(s) are listed for $2K. I text the cat back that it looks like we're good, and lemme know about pickup plans. Then I get a text back asking how much is left after I took out my share. I text back 'Huh? You sent $2K, the item(s) were listed for $2K.' Line goes dead. Yesterday my account was debited for a returned deposited item. Reason: Forgery. Asswipes. :mad:

datachicane
08-19-15, 11:22 AM
Seriously, I would never, ever consider accepting some anonymous check in the mail, ever, and I likely wouldn't accept a check at all unless I had some social network connection.

Cash or money order, take your pick, and if you're not going to meet me in person you're likely not an actual buyer anyway. It's not Craigslist, it's the kind of transaction you're willing to accept. Every time anyone lists anything on Craigslist these sorts of bogus responses pop up like weeds, but you're the one who's choosing to talk to them. Stop it.

nrc
08-19-15, 12:46 PM
Hrrm. Seems like everything I read about Craig's list involves getting ripped off or murdered.

Tifosi24
08-19-15, 03:53 PM
Hrrm. Seems like everything I read about Craig's list involves getting ripped off or murdered.

Only seeing horror stories, no pun intended. The worst thing the wife and I have ran into are people haggling over a $3 Thomas the Train toy or also asking you to meet them 25 miles away to exchange said Thomas the Train toy. Then again, a bicycle is the most expensive thing I have sold and being in the Twin Cities generally makes selling bikes painless.

Insomniac
08-20-15, 10:50 AM
Seriously, I would never, ever consider accepting some anonymous check in the mail, ever, and I likely wouldn't accept a check at all unless I had some social network connection.

Cash or money order, take your pick, and if you're not going to meet me in person you're likely not an actual buyer anyway. It's not Craigslist, it's the kind of transaction you're willing to accept. Every time anyone lists anything on Craigslist these sorts of bogus responses pop up like weeds, but you're the one who's choosing to talk to them. Stop it.

I wouldn't even take a money order. They can all be faked and by the time you find out, it's too late.

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

G.
08-20-15, 02:16 PM

Yeah. Same thing as with that Myspace place. :mad:

:gomer:

chop456
08-21-15, 01:36 AM

:thumbup:

chop456
08-21-15, 03:45 AM
Even went with a buddy to buy a high-end bicycle that had been stolen out of that same buddy's garage a couple days earlier, that was interesting :eek:.

And be careful with that, too. ;)

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150819/wicker-park/alleged-recovery-of-stolen-bike-goes-wrong-5-men-charged-brutal-attack

Don Quixote
08-21-15, 09:56 AM
I sold a pop-up camper on craigslist and discovered a whole new world in the process. immediately after posting the ad, I got maybe 10 fraudulent responses of the type Dando is talking about. Then there is this entire other class of weird freaks who start sending requests for more information. "Are the tires in good shape?", "are the propane tanks full?", "how many years on the battery?", "can you drive it to Connecticut?". I got maybe 20 of these. None of these people were serious, it was like they have nothing better to do but read craiglist ads and ask questions. Maybe they are lonely. I responded to several before I caught on. Then there were about 10 responses where they offered me $500 or less, when we were asking for $6k. Maybe these folks are looking for desperate sellers and trying to get a steal. There were three serious inquiries, and the first person that met me at the storage lot to see it paid me cash on the spot. Posted the ad on Thursday, sold it on Sunday. All in all a good experience, but I wouldn't want to do it regularly. And I would never meet these people at your house, or theirs, or anyplace that isn't crowded and public.

SteveH
08-21-15, 10:00 AM
I sold a pop-up camper on craigslist and discovered a whole new world in the process. immediately after posting the ad, I got maybe 10 fraudulent responses of the type Dando is talking about. Then there is this entire other class of weird freaks who start sending requests for more information. "Are the tires in good shape?", "are the propane tanks full?", "how many years on the battery?", "can you drive it to Connecticut?". I got maybe 20 of these. None of these people were serious, it was like they have nothing better to do but read craiglist ads and ask questions. Maybe they are lonely. I responded to several before I caught on. Then there were about 10 responses where they offered me $500 or less, when we were asking for $6k. Maybe these folks are looking for desperate sellers and trying to get a steal. There were three serious inquiries, and the first person that met me at the storage lot to see it paid me cash on the spot. Posted the ad on Thursday, sold it on Sunday. All in all a good experience, but I wouldn't want to do it regularly. And I would never meet these people at your house, or theirs, or anyplace that isn't crowded and public.

might have been this guy (http://dontevenreply.com/) NSFWish due to language