PDA

View Full Version : Samsung's "See Through" Truck

TravelGal
08-09-15, 07:02 PM
Is this for real? I'm surprised they'd spend the money.

http://www.thescienceworld.com/samsung-invents-see-through-truck-that-allows-drivers-to-see-whats-ahead/

Insomniac
08-09-15, 08:28 PM
Is this for real? I'm surprised they'd spend the money.

http://www.thescienceworld.com/samsung-invents-see-through-truck-that-allows-drivers-to-see-whats-ahead/

I don't think the R&D was all that much. They already make all the technology (or integrate it). Seems more like a question of cost for trucking companies. I don't see too many doing it for the safety of other drivers. That leaves regulations...

cameraman
08-09-15, 09:17 PM
Seems like you would be opening the trucking company up to lawsuits if someone got it wrong despite the tv. "Well it looked safe on the tv so I went for it."

Andrew Longman
08-10-15, 01:34 PM
Losing battle I'm sure but there are far too many screens in my life already. Rather there are too many screens in other peoples' live. They hardly seem to notice anything in life except if it's on a screen.

Frankly, I've never been behind a truck for so long that I thought my life would change if I had to wait to make a safe pass. Maybe for example don't ride so close you can't safely pull out a little for a peek. Jeez

Tifosi24
08-10-15, 02:02 PM
Around here, most trucks you are going to see on a two-lane road would be with smaller firms so it's unlikely that they would have money to put these screens in. I have only been stuck behind a truck one time when I was willing to make an unsafe pass, and that was because it was a manure truck that pulled out in front of me. Luckily, it was a stretch of road I knew so no need to risk life, I just had to remember to breathe through my mouth :D.

cameraman
08-10-15, 06:28 PM
There are stretches of two lane out here in the mountains that can keep you stuck behind a truck for a very long time. More likely an RV than a truck but trucks too. Thing is the tv doesn't let you see around that blind curve...