PDA

View Full Version : pack racing is Fannnntastic!

devilmaster
07-06-15, 02:55 AM
When will they learn? :rolleyes::saywhat:

chop456
07-06-15, 06:13 AM
The announcers "and the fence is still intact" comment made me wonder which dictionary they're using.

Or whose jobs will be lost in 3 sec. if they were ever to say anything critical about safety systems.

TKGAngel
07-06-15, 08:24 AM
Photos on the Daily Mail show a less than intact fence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3150727/Terrifying-moment-NASCAR-driver-flips-racetrack-smashing-fence-200mph-walks-away-bruises-waving-crowd.html

I'm stunned that NASCAR even ran the race that late. I know Daytona has lights and the fans waited it out, but will an 11pm or later start on a Sunday night really get a better rating than a 12pm noon Monday race?

cameraman
07-06-15, 08:48 AM
I'm sure the concessions came pretty close to selling out with that many people hanging out for that long. $$$

NismoZ
07-06-15, 04:50 PM
Racin', wreckin', and a Dale...NASCAR has never been happier!

Tifosi24
07-09-15, 09:54 PM
It wasn't pack racing, but a Truck just went into the grater at Kentucky. It wasn't as spectacular as Dillion's accident, but the catch fence is toast and they had to call the race (one of the main posts looks like a backwards C). He backed into the fence and then rode the SAFER barrier through most of Turns 1 and 2. Very lucky he didn't go both front and back into the fence.

NismoZ
07-10-15, 09:55 PM
The only solution to the problem seems to be a newer, safer "REAL Safer Barrier." Same idea, but about 18 feet high! Saw USAC stickers at old Soldier Field a few times...row 1 at the wall...at least 9ft. high...you could look DOWN on the roof of a car as it went past and could look directly into the eyes of a driver as he drove by a few FEET below! We always sat outside the exit of T-2...our faces were covered with rubber by the end of the night! Seemed like a real participation sport! Ears ringing all the way home, too. Come to think of it, they're STILL ringing!:irked:

Andrew Longman
07-12-15, 12:47 PM
Daytona Rising is certainly an impressive upgrade to the facility and from my visit there two years ago badly needed. I was surprised by how worn the grandstands looked. But I have to wonder if they aren't second guessing the decision to not totally rethink the fencing and stand placement. It looks like the first rows are now further back and the fence is higher and beefier than it once was but I fear what would happen if two cars get into the fence or bigger car components gets between the cables. Aside from having to end a race as was done at KY, perhaps on an early lap, any fan/worker fatality could really dent nascar as a sport and business.

But the real risk comes from the pack restrictor plate racing. The odds of getting cars together and into the fence go astronomically higher, especially in the tri-oval where the banking is less and the cars get real light and loose.

I loved too Chitwoods comments about paving over grass. He said to call you local officials to get them to loosen environment laws about rainwater runoff that require retention basins and such.:shakehead: