PDA

View Full Version : Fontcky

dando
06-27-15, 07:26 PM
The return of the Hanford Device. 80+ lead changes. Simply nuts. :eek:

dando
06-27-15, 07:43 PM
Race was clean until ~10 laps, and then Briscoe flips on the second to last lap. :eek: :saywhat:

TKGAngel
06-27-15, 08:19 PM
That was (redacted) bonkers.

I'm surprised that Rahal wasn't penalized in-race for the fueling debacle. That should have been a drive thru or a stop and go; not a midweek penalty announcement.

PT continues to impress with his commentary.

dando
06-27-15, 08:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D280tjmFvU

He's OK.

G.
06-28-15, 01:26 AM
That was (redacted) bonkers.

I'm surprised that Rahal wasn't penalized in-race for the fueling debacle. That should have been a drive thru or a stop and go; not a midweek penalty announcement.

Rahal drives a Honda, the major sponsor that has not re-signed yet.

PT continues to impress with his commentary.

He said that Brisco obviously caught the grass, and that caused the air. That bugged me. A lot.
What I've heard of him has been good, but that was forced, obvious and completely [redacted] wrong.

Chief
06-28-15, 12:00 PM
He said that Brisco obviously caught the grass, and that caused the air. That bugged me. A lot.
What I've heard of him has been good, but that was forced, obvious and completely [redacted] wrong.

Air first, grass later. He wouldn't be laughing if others hadn't sacrificed their lives for safety. I see this as disrespectful to the sport. So, this is what it's all come too....

h1BXtVA_rZA

dando
06-28-15, 12:39 PM
NBCSN retweeted
IndyCar Series ‏@IndyCar 16m16 minutes ago
Did you miss the epic racing in the #MAVTV500 yesterday? Watch it all again tonight at Midnight ET on @NBCSN and @LiveExtra! #IndyCar

NismoZ
06-29-15, 07:12 PM
I think as/more telling than the accident are the driver quotes about "pack racing, insanity and death"...lost in all that is the FACT that Briscoe went airborne because his ass-end was turned into the wind! GOSH...who could have predicted THAT! (I would have if I'd even realized there was a RACE! Months ago when I saw Fontana was on the schedule all I could think was:shakehead:...re: 80 lead changes...remember how much we came to hate "leapfrog" racing years ago, way before the split? Guess it's still "To the REAR, march!)

TravelGal
07-03-15, 02:04 AM
Can someone please tell me what penalty Rahal got? I just watched the race this evening, having been away for a week. Did Power get penalized for pushing the guy pointing him to the van?

At least the lead changes weren't the unavoidable slingshots we had with the Hanford device. Entertaining up until the last 30 laps or so.

Is "pack racing" only a function of the downforce?

Ed_Severson
07-03-15, 09:40 AM
Can someone please tell me what penalty Rahal got? I just watched the race this evening, having been away for a week. Did Power get penalized for pushing the guy pointing him to the van?

At least the lead changes weren't the unavoidable slingshots we had with the Hanford device. Entertaining up until the last 30 laps or so.

Is "pack racing" only a function of the downforce?

Rahal's team was fined $10,000 ($5,000 of it suspended), Power was fined $25,000.

For sure, the weather gave everybody a bit more downforce than we anticipated. The forecast looked stiflingly hot and greasy (like you would expect) so everyone piled on the downforce, but the actual race temperature was about 7 degrees lower than forecast, with cloud cover for a good portion of the day (which kept the track temp down and reduced the tire degradation some). I did see a couple of teams on my pre-race grid walk taking downforce off the car as a response to that, but mostly everyone left it alone.

Thought it was interesting that although both Chevy and Honda had a number of cars running at or near the front all day, only the Chevy guys seemed capable of getting in front and staying there for a while (except Sato, who didn't have anything going on aerodynamically that the rest of the Honda family didn't). No question, the weather forecast helped Honda a lot -- if everyone had known what the actual conditions were going to be we all would have trimmed some, into the range where Honda starts to lose a bit of efficiency by comparison with Chevy.

I think the aero regulations were a bit of an overreach in response to the Texas race (Fontana uses the same tire, but that's been the case for years and the tire degradation at Fontana has never been anywhere near what it is at Texas). That, in my opinion, was the biggest factor in creating the packiness we saw, though I don't believe this was really pack racing in the same vein the IRL used to create. Nobody was out there running flat all the way around lap after lap, and it wasn't terribly difficult to complete a pass like it used to be.

To me, the bigger issue with how the race went down was that about 15 guys drove like complete *******s for most of the day. The aero config and the weather tightened the field up some, but a lot of those guys were driving with almost a total lack of respect for one another. That needs to get fixed, but it's going to have to be up to them to do it.

opinionated ow
07-03-15, 10:27 AM
My 5 step plan to solve the problem:

Find the CART archives.
Dig up 'Technical & Sporting Regulations 1993.'
Modify rediscovered regulations for safety purposes
Integrate USAC into the ladder in the same way the road racing openwheelers are
Be brave, put some dirt races on the schedule.

nissan gtp
07-03-15, 11:20 AM
My 5 step plan to solve the problem:

Find the CART archives.
Dig up 'Technical & Sporting Regulations 1993.'
Modify rediscovered regulations for safety purposes
Integrate USAC into the ladder in the same way the road racing openwheelers are
Be brave, put some dirt races on the schedule.

dirt races would take an entirely different kind of car

TravelGal
07-03-15, 02:47 PM
, though I don't believe this was really pack racing in the same vein the IRL used to create. Nobody was out there running flat all the way around lap after lap, and it wasn't terribly difficult to complete a pass like it used to be.

To me, the bigger issue with how the race went down was that about 15 guys drove like complete *******s for most of the day. The aero config and the weather tightened the field up some, but a lot of those guys were driving with almost a total lack of respect for one another. That needs to get fixed, but it's going to have to be up to them to do it.

Thank you, Ed. That's about what I thought. Not the same as "Las Vegas" but they were comparing it, trying to lay the blame on the set-ups rather than the other drivers. Perhaps someone needs to find the woodshed out back.

indyfan31
07-03-15, 06:32 PM
Rahal's team was fined $10,000 ($5,000 of it suspended), Power was fined $25,000.

So, shoving a guy is 5 times more serious than endangering the lives of pit crews and drivers? :saywhat: Perfect.

TravelGal
07-04-15, 03:30 PM
So, shoving a guy is 5 times more serious than endangering the lives of pit crews and drivers? :saywhat: Perfect.

Since you mention it, I am still wondering about a few thousand $ for a hose spewing fuel all over pit lane. Jan Beehkuis couldn't believe there was anything to "review" and neither could I. Obviously, the rules, or the interpretation of them, have changed since I was more involved.

Hard Driver
07-05-15, 10:48 PM
Open wheel cars do not belong on super speedways.

SteveH
07-05-15, 11:02 PM

One act was intentional the other was not.

indyfan31
07-06-15, 09:40 AM
One act was intentional the other was not.

Understood, but one act could get someone killed, the other will not.