PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Spell "Hypocrisy?"

Mary
06-08-15, 07:40 PM
Hypocrisy -- I-N-D-Y-C-A-R -- Hypocrisy.

Read this today in Gordon Kirby's column on Motorsport.com about Juan Montoya:

Nor was there any doubting Juan’s personal pleasure as he yelped for victory in turn three on the last lap and engaged in an energetic fist pump as he crossed the line. At next year’s 100th running of the great race Montoya’s Victory Lane photo will feature on the tickets for the historic event. Bolded, italics are mine!!!!:flaming:

I've spent 28 years--almost half my life--in New York City, so just imagine the F-bombs I'd spewed after reading that!

Didn't the HYPOCRITES start the IRL/Indycar in order to give the poor--literally, passed over, American driver his "shot at Indy?" Huh? To laugh in the face of the "ride-buyin' furriners?" Who don't know what Indy means?

Really?

I still like Montoya, even though I don't watch Indy car and I'm happy for him, but I guess these people think everyone was born yester-bleepin-day. I'm not talking about Kirby, the drivers or the teams, BTW. I realize these people have to earn a living and that they're racers. There was really no other choice for them but the IRL. Yeah, it would have been nice if they'd all given them the "see ya" a la Jerry Forsythe, but most of them are not billionaires. Even the ones who could afford to walk away love this stuff; sometimes you just have to love the one you're with. I get that. But the IRL/Indycar types want us to suspend disbelief.

I know this is all water under the bridge and I do wonder why I still care, but this just p***es me off!

Rant over and out.

Mary

Tifosi24
06-08-15, 08:25 PM
In the end, it was all about control and the Indy folks won, but the problem is they have control of nothing. Based on the lack of attendance at Indianapolis, I would wager there aren't many people left that actually believe anything that was said 20 years ago.

Ed_Severson
06-08-15, 10:29 PM
Uh, what? :confused:

It's a long-standing practice that the reigning champion's image goes on the ticket. Montoya won the 99th running, so now he'll be on the ticket for the 100th. Goodness knows there are plenty of valid complaints, but this isn't one of them.

gerhard911
06-08-15, 11:08 PM
Well, in as much as they :tony: have trashed every other single "long standing tardition", I think it's a valid complaint.

With nothing else sacred, why should this be sacrosanct?

cameraman
06-09-15, 12:59 AM

It's a long-standing practice that the reigning champion's image goes on the ticket. Montoya won the 99th running, so now he'll be on the ticket for the 100th. Goodness knows there are plenty of valid complaints, but this isn't one of them.

It's just irony overload...

TravelGal
06-09-15, 05:46 PM

Well, in as much as they :tony: have trashed every other single "long standing tardition", I think it's a valid complaint.

With nothing else sacred, why should this be sacrosanct?

I agree with gerhard911. It goes to the point that they have no idea how to handle the public, or much of anything for that matter. They had a chance to be nostalgic or historical, or inspirational or SOMETHING and they went with "we have always done it this way."

Gnam
06-09-15, 06:42 PM
When I come to power, I will boost the attendance and ratings for the Indy 500 by making the next Indy 500 the last Indy 500.

After the final race, the yard of bricks will be dug up, pulverized, and buried at sea with full honors. The rest of the place will be sold for scrap and the land put to better use. I like parks, but maybe Indianapolis could use another Jiffy Lube. I'll let the people decide. :tony:

Mary
06-11-15, 09:46 PM

I had no idea; I've never been anywhere near Indianapolis on 500 day or any other. However, it just irks me to see them celebrating everything they trashed CART fans for. BTW, I do realize that's all they have; what else are they gonna do? I get it, but it still ticks me off.

Mary