PDA

View Full Version : Canada 2015

cameraman
06-05-15, 04:52 PM
Okay then it rained during FP2 and the Mercedes brain trust thought it would be a great opportunity to test the intermediates and they sent Hamilton and Rosberg out into the deluge. Full wets would have been a much better choice as Hamilton floated off and into the barrier breaking his front wing. Hamilton's response was "It has still been a good day so I am pretty relaxed. It wasn't my call to go out; not necessarily… We collectively don't think it was the best call to go out, but at the end of the day it didn't affect our running."

:rolleyes::shakehead:

SteveH
06-05-15, 09:58 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/NegligibleImmaterialDrafthorse.gif

Yeah, full wets may have been better.

Insomniac
06-07-15, 07:44 PM
Kind of an odd broadcast. Did they start coverage early on NBC. The pre-race on NBCSN "reset" 20 minutes in and my race recording just started with the cars on grid before the formation lap.

So-so race. Most of the action was normal front runners working their way to the front. Mercedes finished 40s ahead of everyone. Yawn.

I thought Vettel pitted too early the first time. I thought they were going to try and go something like 20-20-30 laps on red-red-yellow. No SC and to still be in the 2nd pack for Vettel and Massa is pretty good work in F1 today. Can still see the power advantage the Mercedes has.

indyfan31
06-08-15, 01:00 AM
I'm pretty sure telling a driver exactly how far to "lift and coast" falls under the definition of Driver Coaching. :saywhat:

cameraman
06-08-15, 09:50 AM
The rules are idiotic as they force the teams to run the car on as little fuel as possible but will heavily penalize the team if the car runs out of fuel on the cool down lap or is short of the minimum required for testing. Drivers can't do the fuel calculations and drive at the same time so you have a choice, let the pit wall micromanage fuel consumption or don't complain if they run out of fuel.

Insomniac
06-08-15, 12:08 PM
Unless they can tell him how much to save per lap and he can see on the steering wheel display what his consumption is and he can figure out how/where to save it, I don't see what else they can say that would be meaningful. The intent of the rule certainly isn't to let people run out of fuel.Everyone was close to the 100 Kg from the last graphic they put up. Oddly, Hamilton had used less than Rosberg and some others had a bit more than both of them. Did they slightly underfill the cars anticipating a SC?

Tifosi24
06-08-15, 03:10 PM
I have recalled in the past that Montreal is historically a higher fuel consumption track, no matter the regulations, given the nature of the track (e.g., long straights with tight, slower corners). Although the potential of under filling in an anticipation of a safety car seems like a possibility since Montreal is almost a given for at least one safety car period. I agree that the radio transmission to Hamilton sounded a lot like driver coaching, but the whole system of policing radio transmissions is asinine to me. The brake wear transmissions to Rosberg also felt a lot like team orders in disguise but, after seeing the cherry brakes on Hamilton's car, there might have been something to that. Again, I wouldn't have a problem with the team essentially telling Rosberg not to pass even if the brakes were fine.