PDA

View Full Version : Brian Wlliams

dando
04-24-15, 10:23 PM
No way he sees the airwaves on network TV again....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/25/business/media/nbc-inquiry-said-to-find-that-brian-williams-embellished.html

Sad. I liked him. :\ :(

TravelGal
04-25-15, 01:39 AM
Sad. I liked him. :\ :(

Me too.

I wonder how many of his pals could stand up to this level of scrutiny.

cameraman
04-25-15, 01:56 AM
Yeah I liked him too. His Mine-itis Sesame Street show was one for the books:laugh:

gjc2
04-25-15, 06:31 AM
Apparently he’s been misrepresenting the news for some time, why would you like him?

I’ve been skeptical of NBC news in general ever since the exploding pick-up truck story from years ago, and more recently how they edited the 911 tapes from the Travon Martin / George Zimmerman story.

chop456
04-25-15, 10:53 AM
Apparently he’s been misrepresenting the news for some time, why would you like him?

I’ve been skeptical of NBC news in general ever since the exploding pick-up truck story from years ago, and more recently how they edited the 911 tapes from the Travon Martin / George Zimmerman story.
This.

dando
04-25-15, 11:18 AM

LIKED him. I don't view Dateline or Today as 'news'. They are magazines. 60 Minutes has been in hot water previously as well. Never really watched 20/20 post Hugh Downs. I grew up with the grandparents watching the local CBS news and, of course, Cronkite. They all retired, and over time I switched networks. CNN, ABC, NBC...Rather and Chung were unwatchable on CBS (as was Couric). I flipped back-and-forth between Brokaw and Jennings. After Jennings' passing, I switched to NBC. They seemed to have the best reporters, many of which have moved on or retired. I really like Richard Engel's international reporting and Andrea Mitchell (Greenspan's wife) is top-notch. Williams appeared to be down-to-Earth, but obviously not the case. Sad. The state of journalism/media these days is just pathetic. Hence why I watch/read multiple media sources for different perspectives.

</Blog> :)

EDIT: I'm formerly a journalism major when tOSU still had a J program while minoring in pre-med (no major for pre-medicine), but switched to finance once they closed the J school :( I'm a media junky and spent 20+ years reviewing/publishing the 'news' for CServe/AOL. My great uncle was the city editor for the Cbus Dispatch, and was once named one of the Toughest SOBs in Cbus. Also Editor in Chief of the HS newspaper. The state of media today is just pathetic. :-\

Insomniac
04-25-15, 11:21 AM
The whole thing is just weird. It doesn't seem he made up news, but just felt the need to insert himself into it. I don't even know to what end. His ego? Ratings?

I'm personally sick of all these people and their BS apologies. "Misspoke" It's permeating society. This literally happened at my Dentist's office this week.

Receptionist/Office Manage to Patient: Please fill out your family history
Patient: I filled this out last time, why do I have to fill it out again, my history is the same
R: It's the law sir
P: Which law?
R: It's state law sir
P: Which law? That's not true, I don't want to fill it out
R: We won't see you if you don't fill it out
P: May I speak with the Dentist?
Dentist: You wanted to speak with me?
P: Your receptionist said it's state law to fill this out and that's not true
D: I require you to fill this out before I will see you. I'm sorry that she misspoke

G.
04-25-15, 11:54 AM

HUGE difference between innaccuracy due to laziness or a case of the stupids, and going out of your way to "misspeak". One, I can relate to, since I am lazy and stupid. The other takes hard work and planning. :gomer:

I don't care who they fire. NBC news will NEVER earn my trust. They are unforgivable.

I don't care if that makes me irrational.

nrc
04-25-15, 12:08 PM
It's a shame about Brian Wlliams. When we fought together in WWI he really seemed like someone you could count on.

dando
04-25-15, 01:33 PM
It's a shame about Brian Wlliams. When we fought together in WWI he really seemed like someone you could count on.

He retired from the Army after the charge up San Juan Hill, yo. :gomer: :D